Windows 10: My computer won't start after a “Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message showing up...

Discus and support My computer won't start after a “Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message showing up... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey, Sorry if this isn't a right place to post this but I've been desperately searching for some help, so I though maybe someone here could know. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tiramissu_dt, May 15, 2020.

1. My computer won't start after a “Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message showing up...

Hey,

Sorry if this isn't a right place to post this but I've been desperately searching for some help, so I though maybe someone here could know.

I started my computer and this message shows. “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".
    I tried to do the usual - clean around the computer, insert and re-insert the RAM, played with the booting order, unhooked and re-hooked all the cables to see if anything could be loose and even changed a CMOS battery, but nothing really seemed to help so I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if I might have went wrong somewhere.

Not sure if this really means that my HDD might have some virus or is corrupted for some other reason but if I remember correctly, this has happened already once but then after several restart attempts the computer started to work normally. I haven't used the computer for at about a month, since I was working a lot but now this message has appeared. I remember installing some Windows 10 update just before this happened so I'm not sure if that had to do something with it?

Anyway, any ideas how to fix it or at least how I can prevent loosing any of the valuable data from the HDD and SDDs would be really appreciated!

Link to the photos for a reference : https://imgur.com/a/eWKUsBo

Any tips on how to solve this would be appreciated!

submitted by /u/Tiramissu_dt
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tiramissu_dt, May 15, 2020

2. Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device...after reboot?

Hello all. Getting a little frustrated here. A couple of weeks ago we had a user come in on a Monday morning to find that her pc was displaying the classic message "Reboot and select proper boot device...". Tried popping in a windows disk and fixing the MBR, no luck. Ended up reinstalling windows and her few programs back on it. All was good after this. For about a day. She came in the next day to find the same message. So at that point we decided that more than likely the drive was bad even though oddly enough it tested out fine. It was a Corsair 60gb SSD.

Last week we swapped that Corsair with a 64gb Crucial SSD and installed Windows. We then created a backup image of that drive. All was good until Thursday when her power strip that the PC was plugged into got tripped. Start up the computer for find "Reboot and select proper boot device..." message. So, apply the backed up image to the SSD since repairing the MBR didn't work.

Now this morning she comes in and the PC is running fine. Attempts to open Microsoft Word and she gets a pop-up stating there isn't enough disk space. So, she then restarts and upon booting back up gets "Reboot and select proper boot device..."

Any ideas what is causing this? Is it something with the mobo or do I just have horrible luck and replaced the bad SSD with another bad SSD?

satindemon4u, May 15, 2020
  3. Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device...after reboot?

cmos battery, or bios chip is screwed up

eidairaman1, May 15, 2020
  4. My computer won't start after a “Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message showing up...

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

My computer crashes after about an hour and shows the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" error message. It reboots without any problem and then crashes again an hour later and shows the same error message. I'm running Windows 10. Is it time to
    replace my hard drive?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

StephenMansbridgeOAP, May 15, 2020
Thema:

My computer won't start after a “Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message showing up...

1. My computer won't start after a “Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message showing up... - Similar Threads - computer won't start

2. "Reboot and select proper boot device" message after BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Reboot and select proper boot device" message after BSOD: I was using my computer when a BSOD popped up out of nowhere with the message "Registry_error", windows restarted and worked well for 3 minutes before another blue screen appeared, this time the message was "Critical_process_died".This happened 2 more times, windows crashed...
  3. "Reboot and select proper boot device" message after BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Reboot and select proper boot device" message after BSOD: I was using my computer when a BSOD popped up out of nowhere with the message "Registry_error", windows restarted and worked well for 3 minutes before another blue screen appeared, this time the message was "Critical_process_died".This happened 2 more times, windows crashed...
  4. "Reboot and select proper boot device" message after BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Reboot and select proper boot device??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reboot and select proper boot device??: Hello i have clean disks using command diskpart and clean all disk so my disk have no OS install i try install windows with usb but every time i select boot override it showing message reboot and select proper device whats the cause of this and how can i fix this problem...
  6. Reboot and select proper boot device??

Reboot and select proper boot device??: Hello i have clean disks using command diskpart and clean all disk so my disk have no OS install i try install windows with usb but every time i select boot override it showing message reboot and select proper device whats the cause of this and how can i fix this problem...
  7. Reboot and select proper boot device show up after mbr2gpt failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reboot and select proper boot device show up after mbr2gpt failed: Hello. I really need ur help :First of all. I want to update my windows 10 to 11 when im check my pc requirement from Microsoft health i need to enable TMP 2.0 and Secure boot to update windows 11. What i get instruction from youtube i need to go to recovery and run in cmd...
  8. Reboot and select proper boot device show up after mbr2gpt failed

Reboot and select proper boot device show up after mbr2gpt failed: Hello. I really need ur help :First of all. I want to update my windows 10 to 11 when im check my pc requirement from Microsoft health i need to enable TMP 2.0 and Secure boot to update windows 11. What i get instruction from youtube i need to go to recovery and run in cmd...
  9. Reboot and select proper boot device show up after mbr2gpt failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Reboot and select proper boot device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reboot and select proper boot device: I just reset my pc, deleted all the files and everything. My pc is now saying “reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.” My computer has a 1tb hard drive and another labeled windows (C:). What do I do to fix this?...