Windows 10: My computer's performance suddenly tanked.

Discus and support My computer's performance suddenly tanked. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; It randomly restarted after going to a black screen with a blinking underscorr, worked fine for 20 ish minutes and then rapidly became slower and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Waytogo33, Sep 30, 2020.

1. My computer's performance suddenly tanked.

It randomly restarted after going to a black screen with a blinking underscorr, worked fine for 20 ish minutes and then rapidly became slower and slower. So slow that it couldn't even run a game like Among Us, or even process a discord call. I couldn't even close any programs so I turned the power off.

It just took approximately 25 minutes to restart after it booted up. Unstable internet connection added to my problems. It's little faster than it was before but not nearly acceptable. I've been moving files to a flash drive in preparation for the worst. I can't load any web pages.

The screen froze when 12% complete with an avast virus scan.

Should I just get a new hard drive?

submitted by /u/Waytogo33
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Waytogo33, Sep 30, 2020

2. Computer performance suddenly dipped

Hi Zach,

My name is Jocelyn, an independent advisor and a fellow Windows 10 user happy to help.

I am sorry to hear all your troubles. And I appreciate the steps you have taken so far to resolve the issue. Let me give you some suggestions to improve the performance of your PC.

You can work your way through the suggestions in any order you desire or skip some steps if you have already done doing it.

Step 1: Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed.

Select the Start (Windows) button from the bottom-left corner.

Go to Settings (gear icon).

Select the Update and Security icon.

Choose Windows Update tab in the sidebar (Circular arrows)

Select Check for updates. If there is an available update, it will begin downloading automatically.

Step 2:

There could be many reasons why your computer running slow during start-up, sometimes a slow computer is caused by programs running in the background. Check and remove or disable any TSRs and startup programs that automatically start each time the computer
    boots.

Right-click on your taskbar (at the bottom of the screen) and open Task Manager. Click on the Startup tab, and review for any applications that may be set to run at startup.

Step 3: Delete temp files that can help improve computer performance.

Open the Start menu and type %temp% in the Search field.

Press Enter and a Temp folder should open.

You can delete all files found in this folder and, if any files are in use and cannot be deleted, they can be skipped.

Step 5: Run SFC Scannow

Press Windows Key+X to open the Power User Tasks Menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin).

After the User Account Control prompt appears. Click Yes.

At the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

Step 6: To Run Defrag

In the Windows Search box, on the taskbar, type defrag and select the Defragment and Optimize Drives option in the search results.

Click on the drive you want to defrag and optimize.

Click the Optimize button to being the defragmentation and optimization process.

Step 4: Run a Virus Scan

Use the free version of Malwarebytes to scan your computer for malware. You can uninstall the program after the scan.

You can also check the Microsoft Article below for more tips:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/400201...

If none of then fix you can run a Repair Install which reinstalls Windows while keeping your files, programs by installing the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft Website. This will solve most problems with your PC

I hope this information help. Let me know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards,

Jocelyn

JocelynYbanez, Sep 30, 2020
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Updates slowing computer performance

Hi,

Listed below are possible causes why Windows is running slow:

• Too many application installed.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.
    • Outdated drivers.

For us to assist you with the concern, we suggest following the steps on this
    article

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Sep 30, 2020
  4. My computer's performance suddenly tanked.

Windows 10 Suddenly Starts to Lag

Hello,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?
    • Are you using any 3rd party antivirus program?

Meanwhile, we suggest performing the suggested steps on this article
    on how to improve the performance of your Windows 10 device.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

My computer's performance suddenly tanked.

1. My computer's performance suddenly tanked. - Similar Threads - computer's performance suddenly

2. Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped: Hi everyone,Several days ago I started having performance issues when ever I attempt to play games on my computer. The type of game doesn't really matter, it could be a triple A game or the equivalent of a mobile game, and I will have serious issues trying to play it. I'm...
  3. 10 is updated printer performance is in the tank!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    10 is updated printer performance is in the tank!: Over the past several months ever time 10 is updated my printer performance tanks. HP LaserJet M451s color.Running correctly they will push 19 ppm. After a 10 updated they hardly print 6 pages per minute.The only fix so far is to remove the device/drivers and reinstall. What...
  4. A sudden change in my laptop's performance

A sudden change in my laptop's performance: Hello, for past few weeks I have dealt with some annoying problem which I have yet to solve. Basically, every time I'll open a game which needs a little of GPU usage or greater of course the game will run perfectly for about 4 minutes and then the GPU usage increases to...
  5. Win10 Update 2004 tanked Remote Desktop performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Update 2004 tanked Remote Desktop performance: I just finished updating my 3 Win10 PCs to Windows 10 Update 2004, and ever since then the performance of Remote Desktop between them is absolutely atrocious. Previously, everything was incredibly snappy and rarely hitched up. However after the update every time I drag a...
  6. Computer performance suddenly dipped

Computer performance suddenly dipped: Hi, Seemingly overnight, my computer which has been operating very smoothly has suddenly become very choppy and the performance is really bad. I've tried many things, namely a Fresh Start, then uninstalled apps that were contributing a large amount of page errors, Windows...
  7. Laptop performance tanks below 10% Asus Zenbook UX330UA

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop performance tanks below 10% Asus Zenbook UX330UA: When my battery reaches 10% while not plugged in, the performance of my laptop tanks super hard. It makes it impossible to do anything without tons of lag. I've turned off battery saver and set performance to "best performance" but it is still super slow. Is this a BIOS...
  8. Computer performance suddenly dipped

Computer performance suddenly dipped: #1 I'm new to forums, in general, but I'm at my wits end - any help would be appreciated. My self-built computer has ran flawless for quite some time until a few days ago. One day it was fine and next day when I booted up the computer started running very slow. It takes a...
  9. Sudden drop in my PC performance.

Sudden drop in my PC performance.: I have an hp laptop with intel i5 8th gen, 8 gb ram, amd radeon R7 M340, windows 10. I usually use my laptop for playing games. Few weeks back my laptop started slowing down, i tired to fix it by deleting closing some background apps and deletind some applications i do not...
  10. World of Tanks on my computer -BUT I NEVER DOWNLOADED IT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    World of Tanks on my computer -BUT I NEVER DOWNLOADED IT: I have been trying to get World of Tanks off of my computer for a week. Whenever I try to uninstall it, I get the 'do you want this program to be able to make changes' pop-up and it says the verified publisher is Microsoft Windows. When I select 'yes', it opens the Command...