Windows 10: My CPU is capped at a low percentage of usage and CPU frequency after recent Windows Update

Discus and support My CPU is capped at a low percentage of usage and CPU frequency after recent Windows Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have an almost newly installed Windows PC with a CPU that can constantly run at 4.5 GHz, it used to be fine, I can edit 4K videos with Premiere Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HoKoon Ho, Apr 17, 2020.

1. HoKoon Ho Win User

My CPU is capped at a low percentage of usage and CPU frequency after recent Windows Update

I have an almost newly installed Windows PC with a CPU that can constantly run at 4.5 GHz, it used to be fine, I can edit 4K videos with Premiere Pro CC and Davinci Resolve.

Until one day, windows updated and the CPU never go higher than 3 GHz, usage at about 50% with balanced battery mode, peaked at 80% in Performance mode with CPU minium set to 100%, maximun set to 100%

Microsoft please fix the stupid bug that limit my CPU usage and frequency

:)

HoKoon Ho, Apr 17, 2020
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

INCORRECT CPU FREQUENCY READING

Hello Muhammad,

CPU usage depends on the applications that are open to your device. To isolate the problem, we suggest that you answer the following questions:

• Can you include a screenshot of the CPU reading?
    • Have you tried performing a
      clean boot
      to eliminate software conflicts?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Apr 17, 2020
  3. TheGemi Win User
    Windows 10 CPU constantly at 100% usage

I've got the exact same issue. After installing creators update my CPU usage is between 0 and 10%, but the frequency is at max of the chosen power profile.

If I update the max frequency in the power profile or update the max cpu percentage it will then be at the chosen maximum full time.

I've got a brand new Asus ux550VD with the same intel 7700HQ processor...

UPDATE:

I've rolled back the creators update and all is well again. CPU is not locked to max frequency anymore. I will wait it out till a fix is created...

TheGemi, Apr 17, 2020
  4. My CPU is capped at a low percentage of usage and CPU frequency after recent Windows Update

CPU usage capped & frequency locked to 0.59 GHz

Hi,

I've been running into a problem with my HP Spectre 13 X2 where after a few sleep/wake cycles the CPU usage caps at 33% and the frequency locks to 600MHz. It stays this way until a reboot - hibernate/resume won't resolve it, nor will plugging in/removing
    AC power.

I saw a report of a similar sounding issue where someone was able to work around this problem by removing the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery device from device manager & letting windows reinstall. That hasn't helped for me. A hard reboot
    is the only workaround I've found.

Wondering if there was any power/thermal throttling going on I installed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to diagnose -- no power/thermal throttling is going on. Screenshot attached. So I think windows just isn't trying to run any faster.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated..

- Joe

My CPU is capped at a low percentage of usage and CPU frequency after recent Windows Update 5d07ccbd-0b3e-4717-a3cf-53e72bc32342.png

JoeDoucette, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

My CPU is capped at a low percentage of usage and CPU frequency after recent Windows Update

1. My CPU is capped at a low percentage of usage and CPU frequency after recent Windows Update - Similar Threads - CPU capped low

2. CPU usage Low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU usage Low: My laptop suddenly so laggy, when I check out the task manager I realized the CPU usage is so low, what should I do? I already tried to edit in power plan but it didn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-usage-low/04f852c0-a5b4-46e8-8a72-d49b37b8a220
  3. CPU usage Low

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU usage Low: My laptop suddenly so laggy, when I check out the task manager I realized the CPU usage is so low, what should I do? I already tried to edit in power plan but it didn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cpu-usage-low/04f852c0-a5b4-46e8-8a72-d49b37b8a220
  4. Sudden Low cpu usage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden Low cpu usage.: Hey I used to play on my laptop with no stutters before I reset it because I wanted to have more performance so I watched a yt video and it said go to battery powerplan and use the high performance mode. After enabling high performance my games started to stutter. I play...
  5. Sudden Low cpu usage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden Low cpu usage.: Hey I used to play on my laptop with no stutters before I reset it because I wanted to have more performance so I watched a yt video and it said go to battery powerplan and use the high performance mode. After enabling high performance my games started to stutter. I play...
  6. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency: HP Zbook G5, equipped with i7-8850H. Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1620. BIOS and all driver up-to-date at the time of this writing. DISM and SFC clean.Even though CPU utilization settles down to low single digits, the CPU "Speed" in Task Manager always...
  7. Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low CPU utilization, yet max. frequency: HP Zbook G5, equipped with i7-8850H. Windows 10 Enterprise, version 21H2, build 19044.1620. BIOS and all driver up-to-date at the time of this writing. DISM and SFC clean.Even though CPU utilization settles down to low single digits, the CPU "Speed" in Task Manager always...
  8. Low FPS/CPU usage?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low FPS/CPU usage?: Low FPS? Hey there! (I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit) I noticed that when playing games such as Valorant and League of Legends, my frame rates in game, which were previously 150, are now 60. In addition, while running these games, my computer is really slow and...
  9. Low CPU usage issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low CPU usage issues: I only recently started paying attention to this when I laid down over 3k on this new PC I built earlier this year. I play high end games and do 3D Modeling with pretty large scenes. I have noticed that when I'm playing a game with modern graphics like Control/Horizon Zero...
  10. RAM has unusually low frequency and CPU usage is high

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAM has unusually low frequency and CPU usage is high: Yesterday when I booted up my PC, windows was running really slow. When I open up any program, CPU usage goes to almost 100%. I also discovered that my RAM frequency is only 1067MHz in Windows vs the 3000 it runs at normally. I have disabled XMP to see if that would help and...