Windows 10: My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings

Discus and support My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use Irfanview 64 bit as my default image viewer app. It has been a while since I tried accessing my images. Today I noticed that the tools menu was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jcloversX, Jul 31, 2021.

1. jcloversX Win User

My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings

I use Irfanview 64 bit as my default image viewer app. It has been a while since I tried accessing my images. Today I noticed that the tools menu was missing from this app. I finally figured out that the toolbar skin had been changed from Default to some other setting. I went to an Irfanview forum page and found out that MS will change app setups to fit there agenda. I am tired of this happening. Is there anything I can set in Microsoft Defender that would prevent MS from making these changes without my permission!

:)

jcloversX, Jul 31, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings [​IMG]

3. Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App

One of the updates today set MS Edge as the default app for PDF files. I have Acrobat installed and after the update and reboot, Acrobat asked if if I wanted it to be the default program. I didn't realize it had changed. So when I said yes, I got an error that said Acrobat cannot be set as the default app, or something along those lines.

When I went into settings to try to change it there, Edge was shown as the PDF default app. When I tried to change it, Acrobat was listed but it wouldn't change when I clicked on it in the list.

Finally, I went into the Set Default Programs in Control Panel and I set Acrobat as default to open all file types it can open by default. Hopefully that is the correct choice.

If there is some other way to do this, please advise. But maybe this will also help someone else who had this happen.

Gator5000e, Jul 31, 2021
  4. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 31, 2021
Thema:

1. My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings - Similar Threads - default apps Preventing

2. PLEASE, change from the default setting!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PLEASE, change from the default setting!: Tip: You are strongly urged to change this default setting, in Windows 11, of "Anywhere" to the following...Cheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-change-from-the-default-setting/40c9d10f-dbe9-4d53-a141-87db0b1bd9dc
  3. Cannot change default apps in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  4. Cannot change default apps in settings

Cannot change default apps in settings: Profile is administratorClick SETTINGSClick APPSClick DEFAULT APPSClick the > to expand the list of associationsNOTHING after that works...I can click all day on the bar, and the extension anything, and nothing will bring up the normal menu to choose the default program.I...
  5. Prevent windows10- build1909 from changing settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent windows10- build1909 from changing settings: I recently updated from 17xx to 1909, some benefits but more disturbing behavior, even when I pause updates windows keep changing my settings, keep adding keyboards layouts, restoring folder view option every time folder changes, and of course the edge which update almost...
  6. Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App: I'm using Nitro pro as my default pdf reader, editor. Win 10 keeps changing it every time to MS Edge. How can I stop this behaviour? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/prevent-windows-from-changing-default-pdf-app/12c74e04-52d8-45bc-b8a6-95aeaa200df9
  7. Prevent Logmein from Changing Default Printer

Prevent Logmein from Changing Default Printer: Hi, Logmein seemingly has an ongoing, unsolved issue and I wondered if there's a Windows solution to it. When logging in remotely, Logmein finds any remotely connected printer and sets it as the default printer for the host computer. This is silly to start with, but...
  8. Can I prevent Windows 10 from changing my defaults?

Can I prevent Windows 10 from changing my defaults?: It is highly annoying to have .pdf files open in Edge instead of Adobe reader, but setting the default app on .pdf does not last long!!! Same with Grove vs Media Player. Ron...
  9. Changing default settings for MS Wordpad?

Changing default settings for MS Wordpad?: Is there some way to change the default settings for MS Word in Win10? Specifically, I would the following to be default: Line spacing: 1.00 Add 10 pt space after paragraph (FALSE) Word wrap: Wrap to window 77105
  10. Cant change default app settings

Cant change default app settings: Hi as stated I cant change any of the default app settings in windows 10. I tried to change my default browser to chrome,nothing happens after i click google chrome,its still edge. This also applies to other defaults like maps,music player,photo viewer etc. 59930