Windows 10: My desktop computer thinks it is a laptop.

Discus and support My desktop computer thinks it is a laptop. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently built a gaming computer and took an m.2 ssd from my broken gaming laptop and put it into the gaming computer for extra storage. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ShaneMcAlick, Jul 2, 2021.

1. My desktop computer thinks it is a laptop.

I recently built a gaming computer and took an m.2 ssd from my broken gaming laptop and put it into the gaming computer for extra storage. When I turned on my gaming computer for the first time I had the same background and games installed from my broken laptop. But then I discovered the problems. I am unable to change my display's resolution, my taskbar is black instead of the normal grayish color, I cannot download GeForce drivers because of the windows version I am running, even though it is updated, and I am missing features like sound, focus assist, and remote desktop in my settings. I am

:)

ShaneMcAlick, Jul 2, 2021
  2. jdz7t8 Win User

Buying a new laptop or desktop for gaming [help]

I want to buy either a new laptop or a new desktop for gaming. I want to run games smoothly and maybe even use it for some ps2 emulation. Could someone suggest either a laptop or desktop? I heard Alienware is expensive and over-rated. I was also told Sager laptops are good for gaming. I have about $1000-$1500 to spend on a new machine. Initially I was going to get a laptop but it seems like I would be able to get a more powerful desktop for the same price or less. Please advise. Please suggest a model/brand [desktop/laptop] that I could purchase because I don't think I know enough about computers to build one from scratch.

jdz7t8, Jul 2, 2021
  3. sarahk Win User
    Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop

Hi

My network is really simple. A win10 laptop and a win10 desktop. The desktop has a couple of hard drives and the laptop needs to see one of them.

At various times it's all been good but then something mysterious happens and we're back to square one.

So
    • I've set up a homegroup and both computers belong to it
    • I've set up sharing so that the homegroup can read/write
    • I've added my husbands email address as a user on the desktop and accepted the invitation so that it doesn't show as pending

Yet, when I go to the laptop
    • I can see the homegroup and the two computers that are in it
    • I can see the network and the same two computers
    • If I click on the drives I get a no-permission error

I've obviously missed a step somewhere and I've gone over tutorials and guides but can't work out what it is. Any ideas?

sarahk, Jul 2, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

My desktop computer thinks it is a laptop.

I'm having a microphone problem in 2 different computers (laptop and desktop).

Hi Márcio,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your Microphone?
    • What is the model of your Laptop and Desktop?
    • Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any Hardware and Software changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to refer the Microsoft link below and perform the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Fix sound problems.

Fix sound problems in Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jul 2, 2021
Thema:

My desktop computer thinks it is a laptop.

1. My desktop computer thinks it is a laptop. - Similar Threads - desktop computer thinks

2. Windows 11 on my laptop thinks it’s a desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 on my laptop thinks it’s a desktop: HiRecently I had a problem with windows 10 on my 2 in 1 laptopI always use the laptop as a tablet. I rotate the screen and use the laptop flat. The screen autorotates and the hidden keyboard opens when typing. All goodSomehow windows now thinks my laptop is a desktop and...
  3. Windows 11 on my laptop thinks it’s a desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 on my laptop thinks it’s a desktop: HiRecently I had a problem with windows 10 on my 2 in 1 laptopI always use the laptop as a tablet. I rotate the screen and use the laptop flat. The screen autorotates and the hidden keyboard opens when typing. All goodSomehow windows now thinks my laptop is a desktop and...
  4. My Computer thinks it is a mobile device

My Computer thinks it is a mobile device: My computer does not have a touch screen and thinks that i am playing on mobile. I tried doing many things but i can’t find anything to change it back to the old version. I can’t play a lot of games because they are games not for mobile. Some buttons in games dont work...
  5. Windows 11 thinks my desktop is a laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 thinks my desktop is a laptop: Hi,Windows 11 is convinced that my desktop computer is a laptop, and that it isn't plugged in. This prevents me from turning on HDR and other important performance features. How do I change things so it understands that it is a desktop and is always plugged in? Please let me...
  6. Windows 11 thinks my desktop is a laptop

Windows 11 thinks my desktop is a laptop: Hi,Windows 11 is convinced that my desktop computer is a laptop, and that it isn't plugged in. This prevents me from turning on HDR and other important performance features. How do I change things so it understands that it is a desktop and is always plugged in? Please let me...
  7. Desktop thinks it's a laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop thinks it's a laptop: After a recent windows update, my desktop computer will not go to sleep. When I click on Power and Sleep settings it shows settings for a laptop. I do I resolve this?...
  8. I think my computer is deteriorating.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I think my computer is deteriorating.: I’ve noticed that on almost any game recently, no matter how demanding, it seems to always be on 100% cpu usage. Along with that, I’m getting more often crashes, freezes and high temps. This is a prebuilt pc, and I have little to know knowledge of actual computers, but...
  9. Desktop that thinks it is a laptop!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Desktop that thinks it is a laptop!: Microsoft/Windows has changed My desktop into acting as a laptop with a battery. How can I change it back to normal? When it changed all of my back up points disappeared. Thanks for helping!...
  10. My desktop PC thinks it's a laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My desktop PC thinks it's a laptop: When going to "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers" my computer registers as a Notebook, even though it's clearly not. What gives? [ATTACH]...