Windows 10: My desktop icons and layout changed, how to restore to default????"?

Discus and support My desktop icons and layout changed, how to restore to default????"? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; recently, my desktop layout suddenly changed. I've tried to change things in the registry editor, but it only thing worst. I've also looked on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by עופר עובדיה, Jul 18, 2020.

1. My desktop icons and layout changed, how to restore to default????"?

recently, my desktop layout suddenly changed.

I've tried to change things in the registry editor, but it only thing worst.

I've also looked on tutorials and articles about how to restore my desktop settings to the default.

All of them were outdated because of windows migration from control panel to settings, and changing of the settings available in the settings app.

How can I changed the desktop icons size and layout to how to was when I got my computer??

Windows10 version: 1909

OS Build: 18363.959

Thanks,

OferMy desktop icons and layout changed, how to restore to default????"? [​IMG]

:)

עופר עובדיה, Jul 18, 2020

2. Desktop icon layout

I know there are threads on how to maintain icon layout position, but I find none of them to be adequate. Why can't Microsoft just add a simple feature to save and restore desktop icon positions? Or simply just not mess them all up in the first place? And
    no, unchecking the 'auto arrange' or 'Allow themes to change desktop icons' doesn't work. Just check the 'This PC' in the 'Desktop Icon Settings', apply, then remove it and your icon layout will be messed up. The User interface is one of the most important
    element of any software. The reason people put icons on the desktop is for ease and quick access to their favorite applications. Microsoft just don't seem to get that. It's something that's been bugging me ever since I started using Windows.

I would have liked to pick 'Incompetence' for 'Category', but it wasn't listed...

MathieuComeau, Jul 18, 2020
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. AlphaUMi Win User

My desktop icons and layout changed, how to restore to default????"?

Icons Layout Backup

Hi! I wonder if there is a way or a program that allows to save the desktop icons positions and layout. I don't mean that I have an issue with icons not preserving their position after a reboot, I mean I would like to have a backup in order to restore my layout quickly, for example after restoring the icon cache ecc...

I remember that, in the XP times, there was a dll (well, two: one for saving and one for restoring). Any suggestion? My desktop icons and layout changed, how to restore to default????"? :)

AlphaUMi, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

My desktop icons and layout changed, how to restore to default????"?

1. My desktop icons and layout changed, how to restore to default????"? - Similar Threads - desktop icons layout

2. how to restore desktop icon in default file format with cmd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to restore desktop icon in default file format with cmd: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-desktop-icon-in-default-file-format/f9cf36bf-83ef-451d-9aaa-04d533d3a240
  3. how to restore desktop icon in default file format with cmd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to restore desktop icon in default file format with cmd: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-desktop-icon-in-default-file-format/f9cf36bf-83ef-451d-9aaa-04d533d3a240
  4. How can I set a default layout of icons on a desktop for new users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I set a default layout of icons on a desktop for new users: I want to logically group shortcuts on the desktop that gets set on the initial profile creation.I have the shortcuts added to the public profile under public desktop. When a new user logs in the shortcuts are lined up across the left side of the desktop all jumbled together....
  5. How can I set a default layout of icons on a desktop for new users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I set a default layout of icons on a desktop for new users: I want to logically group shortcuts on the desktop that gets set on the initial profile creation.I have the shortcuts added to the public profile under public desktop. When a new user logs in the shortcuts are lined up across the left side of the desktop all jumbled together....
  6. How can I set a default layout of icons on a desktop for new users

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. the layout of my desktop icons has changed, how do i restore it?

the layout of my desktop icons has changed, how do i restore it?: the layout of my desktop icons has changed, how do i restore it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-layout-of-my-desktop-icons-has-changed-how-do/e2f781aa-ca3b-4300-af66-9aed5fa81032
  8. Desktop Layout Change

Desktop Layout Change: [IMG]When I got the new update this happened. The desktop layout changed........does somebody know how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-layout-change/26d07dad-dfd4-426a-aeb9-727aa6544f2e
  9. How to restore default System icons

How to restore default System icons: i tried to delete some font but ended up deleting the default icon pack of windows 10 please help me out [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-default-system-icons/0a5049a9-d01d-41ab-a636-3ccf53fd52b7
  10. How to change or restore default icon for a Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change or restore default icon for a Folder in Windows 10: [ATTACH]By default, your personal Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos folder are located in your account’s %UserProfile% location – for example in the C:\Users\Chidum.Osobalu folder. […] This article How to change or restore default icon for a Folder in...