Windows 10: My desktop icons have become black squares, every single Icon, besides my Recycle Bin.

Discus and support My desktop icons have become black squares, every single Icon, besides my Recycle Bin. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've tried rebuilding the Icon Cache, and changing Icons, but nothing seems to work. When I open my folders, the Icons are there, but not on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Autiereal, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Autiereal Win User

My desktop icons have become black squares, every single Icon, besides my Recycle Bin.

I've tried rebuilding the Icon Cache, and changing Icons, but nothing seems to work. When I open my folders, the Icons are there, but not on the desktop, even when I refresh my desktop.

:)

Autiereal, Jul 25, 2021
  2. ipellant Win User

Missing desktop icons and recycle bin

No problems on the current Windows 10 on three computers I have running dual screens. Desktop Icons only appear on the primary screen.

All icons including the Recycle Bin not showing. The Recycle Bin could be the cause.

There was a bug / glitch during the Insider Preview builds that would flash up a message saying the Recycle Bin was corrupted or missing.

It seems that the Recycle Bin attempts to build a list of recycled files on all the drives on the computer. If the recycled files id is out of sync, that caused the bin to fail.

Suggest:

Copy some files; then delete them; then reboot and see if the Recycle Bin appears.

ipellant, Jul 25, 2021
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Putting the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop.

Hi Nicholas,

Recycle Bin is a temporary storage that contains files that have been deleted but not yet permanently erased, allowing you to restore these files. To show
    Recycle Bin on Windows 10 desktop, kindly follow these steps:

• Go to Control Panel by pressing Windows + X
      and clicking Control Panel.
    • Click Appearance and Personalization and go to Personalization.
    • Click Change desktop icons and check the box beside Recycle Bin.

Should you have more concerns, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jul 25, 2021
  4. My desktop icons have become black squares, every single Icon, besides my Recycle Bin.

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jul 25, 2021
Thema:

My desktop icons have become black squares, every single Icon, besides my Recycle Bin.

1. My desktop icons have become black squares, every single Icon, besides my Recycle Bin. - Similar Threads - desktop icons become

2. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  3. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  4. PDF icons on desktop are black squares

in Windows 10 Customization
    PDF icons on desktop are black squares: Adobe Acrobat PDF icons have turned black on the desktop.I have tried numerous fixes - none seem to holdOne was to go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - and run Cleanupgo back to desktop and right click Refreshthis works to get rid of the black icons, but then they come right...
  5. Desktop icons are black squares

Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  6. Desktop icons in recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons in recycle bin: Hi guys, Having a small problem where i go to start my laptop in the morning after using it the night before and for some reason alot of my desktop icons have been sent to my recycle bin? So every morning i have to restore them all... it`s a bit annoying. I have Sync turned...
  7. Every single icon is gone, on my desktop and in my folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Every single icon is gone, on my desktop and in my folders.: So yesterday I restarted my pc and all of a sudden, every icon for my apps are gone. There is only text, which is clickable and the apps are functioning. I have show desktop icons on, I dont have tablet mode on, I've tried resetting the IconCache, but nothing seems to work....
  8. Desktop shortcut icons become white squares

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons become white squares: I have a 17 month old Acer TC-780 computer running Win-10 home edition, 16-GB RAM and a HP 1920x1080 monitor. I have a lot of short cuts to files and programs on my desktop. Every couple days the short-cuts become white squares rather than the icons that they are suppose to...
  9. Recycle Bin Icon

Recycle Bin Icon: Windows 10 doesn't show the Recycle Bin Icon. How can I recover it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-icon/94dea936-1ae4-428f-ab92-ae499eb5a093
  10. Recycle Bin Icon

Recycle Bin Icon: I don't have a recycle bin icon on this laptop. How do I get one? I'd like to empty it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-icon/70730411-9560-4ffb-9bc6-60b85efdee2a