Windows 10: My Desktop keeps freezing up randomly

Discus and support My Desktop keeps freezing up randomly in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have an Acer Aspire XC-603G Desktop running the Windows 10 Home Anniversary Update. Randomly, it freezes up and I have to wait a few seconds for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jesse Williams, Sep 7, 2016.

1. My Desktop keeps freezing up randomly

I have an Acer Aspire XC-603G Desktop running the Windows 10 Home Anniversary Update.

Randomly, it freezes up and I have to wait a few seconds for it to respond again.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks!

:)

Jesse Williams, Sep 7, 2016

2. My desktop keeps freezing randomly

Well, follow the instructions downgrade manually then.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 7, 2016
  3. ezkicker Win User
    My desktop keeps freezing randomly

I have had no problems with windows 10 untill it had updated, now my computer freezes at random when im doing anything from browsing the internet or playing a game. Windows dosnt allow you to roll back to the last update since "new is better". if anyone
    has any idea on how to fix this please answer. i dont want windows to answer since it seems the fourms are more educated then their tech department.

ezkicker, Sep 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

My Desktop keeps freezing up randomly

dalchina, Sep 8, 2016
  5. @dalchina, yes I have the latest updates. I always install the latest updates. I figured that the latest updates would fix the problem, but it still occurs. I have even contacted Microsoft regarding this issue and they said that my computer needed to be cleaned up. In order for them to clean it up, I would have to pay them for the next level of support. I explained to them that I could not afford it. I didn't hear anything else back from them. My ISP (CenturyLink) can do what they were wanting to do since I am paying for the PC Protection Plan with them. Microsoft did do some work to my computer under their free support, but it didn't help.

Jesse Williams, Sep 8, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi- Your desktop is listed as Win 10 compatible, but that does not necessarily exclude it from freezing issues with the latest upgrade.
    Windows 10 Upgrade

1. Assuming you were running build 1511 and then upgraded to the anniversary edition (history does help us..), did you experience any freezing with 1511?
    2. Have you checked for any BIOS updates?
    3. Is there any difference
    a. if you do a clean boot
    b. in Safe Mode.

Please reply under these headings, or with any other comments about changes you may have made before you noted this freezing.

To establish basics, please do the following:
    a. From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

b. If the above is clear, then from an admin command prompt run
    SFC /scannow
    and report the outcome; if there is a failure, please have a look at the CBS.log and pick out reports of failure.

Please note, bearing in mind the issues widely reported wrt the AU, there is no guarantee whatsoever your freezing problems can be resolved with this build.

dalchina, Sep 8, 2016
  7. 1. I downloaded the Windows 10 Anniversary Update from the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant. I did not experience any freezing with 1511.
    2. I am pretty sure I have the latest BIOS update installed, but will make sure by checking the Acer website.
    3. Microsoft did a Clean Boot and it didn't fix the problem.
    a. Clean Boot was performed, but still noticed freezing.
    b. I have not done a Clean Boot in Safe Mode, but will do so to see if it still freezes.

I will also do as you have said to do with the command prompt.

Thanks again!

Jesse Williams, Sep 8, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, just Safe Mode, there's no need to do clean boot in Safe Mode- it doesn't mean anything.

Remembering that this is most likely to be an anniversary build issue, is it less than 10 days since you upgraded?
    i.e. is Windows.old still present.
    If so, you should seriously consider rolling back while you have the chance.

My Desktop keeps freezing up randomly [​IMG]

Check your Windows update history- do you have these?

Check your temperatures- do all look normal? (E.g. speedfan).

Try this
    How to Find Out Why Your Windows PC Crashed or Froze

Drivers:
    Check the versions of key drivers installed with those of your manufacturer.
    You could try:
    - disable driver updates (see Tutorial section for how)
    - install drivers from your manufacturer 1 by 1 and check for freezes.

I reiterate- given that yours was fine on 1511, and not 1607, unless you don't yet have KB3176938 that Microsoft released on August 31, there may be no solution.

dalchina, Sep 8, 2016
  9. @dalchina, I am sorry for the late response. I have been busy all weekend. I do have 6938 installed. I can't roll back because I have the update installed for more than 10 days. I will check to see if I can fix it by following the other suggestions that you mentioned.

Jesse Williams, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. My Desktop keeps freezing up randomly - Similar Threads - Desktop keeps freezing

2. My computer keeps randomly freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer keeps randomly freezing: My computer has been randomly freezing on many occasions now. I have received a VIDEO SCHEDULER ERROR and VIDEO TDR FAILURE in the past, and recently have had the computer just freeze, with the screen going white, then black, and completely restarting. The Event Viewer show...
  3. My computer keeps randomly freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer keeps randomly freezing: My computer has been randomly freezing on many occasions now. I have received a VIDEO SCHEDULER ERROR and VIDEO TDR FAILURE in the past, and recently have had the computer just freeze, with the screen going white, then black, and completely restarting. The Event Viewer show...
  4. Windows PC keeps freezing up randomly.

Windows PC keeps freezing up randomly.: I moved a little over 2 months ago and since the move, my PC has been freezing up. It was not freezing up before. I've been getting ESENT errors right before it freezes. There were some that i think I fixed, but I've been getting ESENT error 532 right before each freeze....
  5. Windows PC keeps freezing up randomly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows PC keeps freezing up randomly.: I moved a little over 2 months ago and since the move, my PC has been freezing up. It was not freezing up before. I've been getting ESENT errors right before it freezes. There were some that i think I fixed, but I've been getting ESENT error 532 right before each freeze....
  6. Windows PC keeps freezing up randomly.

7. MY Desktop Freezes Randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MY Desktop Freezes Randomly: Hello Guys! Please help me with my desktop. I build a new one and experience this problem. It freezes randomly even I used it only in browsing the internet. Every time it freezes, I cannot open the task manager and any other application. Due to this, I always do the hard...
  8. MY Desktop Freezes Randomly

MY Desktop Freezes Randomly: Hello Guys! Please help me with my desktop. I build a new one and experience this problem. It freezes randomly even I used it only in browsing the internet. Every time it freezes, I cannot open the task manager and any other application. Due to this, I always do the hard...
  9. MY Desktop Freezes Randomly

MY Desktop Freezes Randomly: Hello Guys! Please help me with my desktop. I build a new one and experience this problem. It freezes randomly even I used it only in browsing the internet. Every time it freezes, I cannot open the task manager and any other application. SPecifications:OS: Windows 10 proCPU-...
  10. My PC keeps freezing randomly

My PC keeps freezing randomly: My computer keeps crashing randomly while I could be on discord or I can be playing a game and it just freezes and the audio freezes to and then my pc requires a hard reboot I'm thinking my gpu is to old but I don't know please helpGTX 760RYZEN 7 3700XDDR4 16GB RAM...