Windows 10: My desktop PC keeps waking up when I wake up my Laptop

Discus and support My desktop PC keeps waking up when I wake up my Laptop in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a desktop and laptop both running Windows 10 and are up to date . They are both on the home network. I have set each to go to sleep after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by surfing69, Jan 5, 2020.

1. surfing69 Win User

My desktop PC keeps waking up when I wake up my Laptop

I have a desktop and laptop both running Windows 10 and are up to date . They are both on the home network.

I have set each to go to sleep after 10mins.

However I have just become aware that when I turn on my laptop in one room, i can hear the desktop, which is in a completely different room, waking up!

Why is happening ?

:)

surfing69, Jan 5, 2020
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Logitech M510 Mouse Keeps Waking Up Computer

Hi,

It's always good to preserve your device's power by putting it on sleep mode. If your mouse is waking up the device, we suggest following the steps below as another workaround:

• Press Windows Key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    • Once Command Prompt window opens, enter the following command: powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    • You should be able to see the list of all devices that are allowed to wake up your computer. Enter
      powercfg -devicedisablewake “device name” into Command Prompt to stop a device from waking up your PC. Remember to
      replace “device name” with a name of the actual device. It’s also important to keep the quotation marks, so do not delete them.
    • You can also use powercfg -deviceenablewake “device name” command to enable certain device to wake up your PC, but it is optional. You can find the name of the specific device by using the Device Manager.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Anne Ros, Jan 5, 2020
  3. Valantar Win User
    Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

First off: I tried disabling wake-up by the mouse on both PCs and disabling USB Selective Suspend too, to no avail.
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. Good to know that powercfg can list all wake-enabled devices, 'cause when I went through all ... eight-ish PCI-to-PCI bridge devices in Device Manager, none of them had wake events listed (in the "events" tab under Properties), which doesn't quite add up with one/more of them waking the PC a dozen or so times over the last few days. Of course, they don't even have the option to enable/disable waking the PC in the properties menu. I'll take a look at disabling a bunch of stuff through powercfg once I get home from work.

Sorry if I came across as rude, but honestly, your reply did not at all indicate that you'd read my post in the first place. I said I'd been looking at wake-up history in the Windows event log, and I listed several of the devices cited there as having woken up the PC. If you came away with the impression that I hadn't investigated this thoroughly, I suppose I might not have been clear enough, but it's all there in the post. While powercfg does give out some more detail (device IDs and such) than Event Viewer, it only lists the last wake-up, and as such doesn't really help in this instance, as it's clearly not a single device at fault, and tracking wake-ups over time seems more useful. Also, figuring out how to view wake-up events in the Event Log is what you do after you've concluded that powercfg isn't giving you enough information *Wink My desktop PC keeps waking up when I wake up my Laptop ;)

Valantar, Jan 5, 2020
  4. My desktop PC keeps waking up when I wake up my Laptop

Wake On LAN is Not Working

I have been unable to get Wake on LAN functionality to work in Windows 10:

• I am attempting to do a Wakeup on LAN to my desktop computer which is running Windows 10 from my laptop which is also running Windows 10. The desktop computer is connected to my router through a wired Ethernet connection and the laptop is connected to the same router via a wireless connection
    • I'm doing this within my Local Area Network so I'm not going through a router from the external network
    • I've upgraded the driver on my network adapter to the latest version
    • I've enabled all the required functionality in the BIOS to enable Wake on LAN
    • I've turned on all the required settings in my network adapter to enable Wake on LAN
    • I've disabled "Fast Startup" in Windows 10
    • I'm using the "Wake on LAN" software application from Aquila Technology
    • The software is installed on both my desktop and laptop and I've tested it with the desktop in "listening" mode and verified that the desktop receives "magic" wake-up packets when it is up-and-running
    • When my desktop system is powered down and I send it a Magic Packet in exactly the same way as I did when it was powered up, nothing happens and it doesn't respond to the wake-up packet

Any suggestions of what I can do to further troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

chuckcobb3, Jan 5, 2020
Thema:

My desktop PC keeps waking up when I wake up my Laptop

1. My desktop PC keeps waking up when I wake up my Laptop - Similar Threads - desktop keeps waking

2. How to wake up my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to wake up my laptop: When my Lenovo laptop goes to sleep mode or total block it won't turn on again or wake up. Anything I do won't wake it up and I need to hard reset and turn it back on. How to fix this?...
  3. How to wake up my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to wake up my laptop: When my Lenovo laptop goes to sleep mode or total block it won't turn on again or wake up. Anything I do won't wake it up and I need to hard reset and turn it back on. How to fix this?...
  4. What keeps waking up my pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What keeps waking up my pc?: Event viewer says "source unknown" and command prompt says "wake history count - 1".Aside from turning off literally everything, is there a way to figure out what is causing this? Nothing will tell me....
  5. What keeps waking up my pc?

What keeps waking up my pc?: Event viewer says "source unknown" and command prompt says "wake history count - 1".Aside from turning off literally everything, is there a way to figure out what is causing this? Nothing will tell me....
  6. Waking up my laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Waking up my laptops: Hello,When I go to Device Manager > USB port and try to turn on the ability for my wireless mouse/keyboard to turn on the laptop, this option is grayed out and unavailable. Is this a security issue? It's a pain to have to open the laptop and turn it on each time rather than...
  7. Waking up my laptops

Waking up my laptops: Hello,When I go to Device Manager > USB port and try to turn on the ability for my wireless mouse/keyboard to turn on the laptop, this option is grayed out and unavailable. Is this a security issue? It's a pain to have to open the laptop and turn it on each time rather than...
  8. PC keeps waking up.

in Windows 10 Support
    PC keeps waking up.: For the past few days, every time I put my PC in sleep mode, it wakes up a few minutes later. Sometimes less than a minute later. I've never had this issue before. It would always stay sleep. I'm in Windows Version10.0.18363 Build 18363. 165822
  9. Pc keeps waking up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc keeps waking up: My pc keeps waking up from update orchestrator , I go into the command and enterpowercfg -waketimers the experation date just keeps moving so everynight my pc wakes up, I have to shut it down instead of putting it to sleep, This is an inconvenience, I can leave it on all...
  10. Setting up a password for waking up my desktop?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up a password for waking up my desktop?: New Windows 10 set up but can't find method to create password to use when waking up desktop. How do I set up a password when waking up my desktop?...