Windows 10: My desktop pc wont see homegroup that I have set up with laptop

Discus and support My desktop pc wont see homegroup that I have set up with laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I upgraded laptop from windows 7 to windows 10. Got a new desktop and upgraded that one also. Laptop shows a homegroup with my name under network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fbg14619, Sep 16, 2015.

1. fbg14619 Win User

My desktop pc wont see homegroup that I have set up with laptop

Hi
    I upgraded laptop from windows 7 to windows 10. Got a new desktop and upgraded that one also.
    Laptop shows a homegroup with my name under network connections. I have started the homegroup
    wizard on the desktop to try to join it but it doesnt see it and wont accept the password for the homegroup.
    The lapop is running wirelessly and the PC has wireless capability but I have it hardwired to the router.
    Thanks for any help.

Frank

:)

fbg14619, Sep 16, 2015

2. File Sharing between homegroup computers using Win 10 and Win 7

I have a desktop computer using Win 7 and a new laptop using Win 10 that are on my network and are both in my homegroup. I have both set up for file/printer sharing. I can see the category names on both computers but when I click on a category like the
    Desktop on the other computer, it shows the folder is empty. How do I see files on the Desktop that is in my homegroup on my Win 10 laptop?

shortimer831, Sep 16, 2015
  3. Anothe homegroup issue

In my lifetime i've tried to setup a homegroup network more than 10 times. Even though i'm an IT guy I find Homegroup way to cumbersome to use. Every single time i run into unexplainable problems, even by following guides etc step by step.

Now i have 1 desktop and 2 laptops, one of the laptops is the host for the homegroup. I want to share some folders from my desktop to the homegroup. The host laptop can access my desktop just fine, my second laptop though, will not see the desktop in any
    way though. It wont display in homegroup menu on in any other way (other than ping).

Host Laptop runs windows 7 home the other two Windows 10 pro (current version).

Whats wrong?

TheoKondak, Sep 16, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

You first need to make sure that IPv6 is enabled on all machines. Also if you are adding a new computer to a Homegroup. You need to remove all from Homegroup, then reenable. Homegroup has a nasty habit of not forgetting other computers.

It is actually easier to just use direct file shares instead of Homegroup. Homegroup has had some odd quirks that have not been fixed since Windows 7 came out.

bro67, Sep 16, 2015
Thema:

1. My desktop pc wont see homegroup that I have set up with laptop - Similar Threads - desktop wont homegroup

2. I have not set up a PIN for my HP desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have not set up a PIN for my HP desktop: I have not set up a PIN for my HP desktop, I have been using face-recognition to sign in. Just this morning it requires a PIN to sign in. Please help....
  3. I have not set up a PIN for my HP desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have not set up a PIN for my HP desktop: I have not set up a PIN for my HP desktop, I have been using face-recognition to sign in. Just this morning it requires a PIN to sign in. Please help....
  4. Set up homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set up homegroup in Windows 10: Have just installed Win 10 ot previously blank SSD, in place of Windows 7. Can anyone point me to a clear description of how to set up a homegroup network in my new installation of windows 10?...
  5. Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop

Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop: I'm configuring a new Win10 laptop. Initially, the laptop and my desktop (also Win10) could see each other under the Computer section under Network in File Explorer. This is over a hardwired Ethernet connection via a switch. I started copying a bunch of files from the desktop...
  6. unable to see my desktop on my network since Homegroup was removed

unable to see my desktop on my network since Homegroup was removed: Since the Windows 10 1804 update my desktop will not show in network on my two laptop computers. Makes me miss Home Group. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/unable-to-see-my-desktop-on-my-network-since/fe1ee1db-47e0-482f-bc8b-8947574ea69f
  7. PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup

PC reports that it is not possible to set up a Homegroup: I am having trouble with File Explorer on my wife's PC (Val1606). Under Network, it does not show my PC (Tony0415) but it has appeared under This PC but no longer. However, what it showed was that Tony0415 was merely a Media Device. It would be good if I could get Val1606...
  8. "New" laptop doesn't see homegroup

"New" laptop doesn't see homegroup: I have an established Homegroup which all of the other computers (all running Win 10 Home) found & joined with no problems. I am trying to add an Acer 5720Z laptop with Win 10 Pro but it says "There is currently no Homegroup on the network" and invites me to start one....
  9. HomeGroup Set Up

HomeGroup Set Up: Good Morning. I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm trying to set up a homegroup between my 2 desktops. Both desktops were upgraded from Win 7. I set up desktop A successfully. I received the homegroup password. I went to desktop B and when I entered the homegroup...
  10. Other PC's won't see my PC in homegroup

Other PC's won't see my PC in homegroup: Hi, I bump into some problem with Windows 10 with sharing folder in the same home network/workgroup. After I updated all home PC's on Windows 10, my is Pro others are Home versions, and I shared a specific folder, none of other PC's is able to see me or any other computer...