Windows 10: My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.

Discus and support My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Well, Microsoft finally did it. It had to happen but I can't believe the stupidity in their move. My machine is so messed up, as of July 6, 2019,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Robert W Rathwell, Jul 6, 2019.

1. My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.

Well, Microsoft finally did it. It had to happen but I can't believe the stupidity in their move. My machine is so messed up, as of July 6, 2019, that anything I place on the Desktop will NOT stay after a restart. Games will NOT start from the Start menu at any time. And, they're Microsoft games !!! I was missing all the desktop files I had (files I authored). What are you people doing??????

First, you start taking away from my memory on C: drive with massive amounts of software, or something. I went from well over 50% free space to well under 50% in 1 (download/update) some months ago. It is now even worse with the latest updates.

I had to search the User folder to find files and programs I had on the Desktop before these downloads (3 in total). I rescued them, no thanks to Microsoft, but that's not the issue. What have you done to your operating system --- it's now ready for the scrap heap.

Your operating system is totally out of control, and something had better happen fast because you're in a lot of hot water. What were you thinking?

My operating system is Win 10, Pro, 64bit. Which is now a pile of junk.

:)

Robert W Rathwell, Jul 6, 2019

2. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Jul 6, 2019
  3. Karla Alm Win User
    Windows 10 Start menu not working?

Hello,

We would like to know more so we could assist you better. Kindly clarify the following:

• What is your OS build and version?
    • Are you getting the same error message when you try to access the Start Menu by clicking the Windows key alone and also the Start Menu on the left side of your desktop?

For the meantime, we suggest that you follow these steps to be able to use Cortana/ Search:

• Check for updates.
    • Restart your device.
    • Try the troubleshooter.
    • Create a new local administrator account.
    • Reset your PC.

For more information regarding the steps above, kindly refer to this link.

Should you have other concerns, let us know.

Karla Alm, Jul 6, 2019
  4. My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jul 6, 2019
Thema:

My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.

1. My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc. - Similar Threads - Desktop Start Menu

2. windows 10 start menu/desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 start menu/desktop: Hi running windows 10. I or my computer some how changed my start menu. Start button/windows key use to show all the tiles/programs I pinned (after hitting windows key or button) and I had the backgrounds I have chosen. Now when I start up computer all tiles are showing...
  3. my start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my start menu: my start menu will not show. Keep getting the critical error message. This has been this way off and on since I got windows 10 but now it is 100% of the time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-start-menu/0358db20-f5f0-48d2-8454-d236329a2594
  4. Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?: I was looking around tonight at my windows 10 settings and I clicked on the start menu ( which I use StarDock to make Win 10 start menu look like win 7 start menu ) and there are desktop folder on my start menu. I checked settings to see what should be on my start menu and...
  5. no access to 'start menu' etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    no access to 'start menu' etc: im on insider preview of windows home - build 17692.rs_prerelease_flt.180625-1624 i have lost access to start menu and the notifications shortcut. when i attempt to run programs i receive error messages. i have lost quite a bit of functionality on my system (including...
  6. desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..: I"m not sure what I did, but my desktop has changed. I tried to attach a screenshot, but don't think I did it correctly. Here's what it looks like when I touch the start button. -My start menu items are floating sort of to the right, in the position they normall are....
  7. Desktop replaced by start menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop replaced by start menu: Hi, recently my computer has been acting up. I believe I hit a shortcut on my keyboard by accident, because now my taskbar is black, and trying to access my desktop will redirect me to the start screen. Pressing the Windows key yields the same effect, bringing to the...
  8. Can't save changes to desktop, start menu, etc. Help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save changes to desktop, start menu, etc. Help!: I'm trying to use TeamViewer 11 to help my elderly Dad get his Win10 machine running again after something reset it, or at least wiped out his preferences. I was able to restore some of his desktop shortcuts, but I can't get any more shortcuts to stick. Any changes I make...
  9. Start Menu Apps to Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Apps to Desktop?: Is there a way to move apps from the Start Menu to folders on the Desktop? I want to put all games that are now tiles in my Start Menu to a Games Folder on my Desktop. 46338
  10. Windows reset everything - Start menu - audio - etc?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows reset everything - Start menu - audio - etc?: My sons PC has just been having odd issues... this is the newest. Booted.... it got to the lock screen (kind of) - and had the power icon in the corner. We chose restart Seemed fine... start chrome. Froze Force restart... start chrome. Froze.... ok chrome is messed up...