Windows 10: My Desktop was deleted and replaced by Dropbox- how can I get it back?

Discus and support My Desktop was deleted and replaced by Dropbox- how can I get it back? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had dropbox for about 4 hours, during which it uploaded massive amounts of stuff I didn't want it to. I couldn't figure out how to make it behave... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Honzo, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Honzo Win User

My Desktop was deleted and replaced by Dropbox- how can I get it back?

I had dropbox for about 4 hours, during which it uploaded massive amounts of stuff I didn't want it to. I couldn't figure out how to make it behave nicely, so I got rid of it.

It seems that in the interim, Dropbox replaced my local disk desktop with a desktop with 'dropbox' in the path, and created a huge file on my computer to store all its contents. This played havoc with Blender and other file search system. When I finally tracked it down and eliminated it, I have been unable to get a regular desktop back. The Dropbox desktop does not show 'dropbox' in the address bar in the windows search, but it is distinct from my attempt to create a new desktop- which holds files alright, but won't appear as a desktop.

I don't have a restore point, I have tried installing the latest Windows update, rebooting, etc, but nothing helps.

How do I get a regular desktop back and eliminate this dropbox clone once and for all?

I'm now running on Windows version 2004

:)

Honzo, Jun 24, 2020

2. Deleting Dropbox

Hello Donna,

As you are issue is concerned to deleting the Dropbox, we will help you with this issue.

• Do let us know the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Are you referring to Dropbox icon/ application on Windows 10?

If you are referring to Dropbox app on your device, try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: If the Dropbox is preloaded on your desktop:

• Click Start.
    • Click Settings.
    • Click System.
    • Click Apps & features.
    • Select Get Dropbox or Dropbox X GB from the application list, where "X" is the amount of space corresponding to your promotion.
    • Click Uninstall.

Step 2: If the Dropbox is a desktop app follow:

• Press Windows + X, click on Control Panel.
    • Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
    • Select Dropboxfrom the list of programs, and click Uninstall.

Hope it helps. Provide us additional information if you are still facing the issues with deleting the Dropbox program on your device.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 24, 2020
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 24, 2020
  4. Tenforo Active Member

New Dropbox Desktop App for Windows and Mac

Source: Meet the new Dropbox | Dropbox Blog

See also:

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter

Tenforo, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

1. My Desktop was deleted and replaced by Dropbox- how can I get it back? - Similar Threads - Desktop was deleted

2. How can I get a file back after replacing it with a document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get a file back after replacing it with a document: I saved a piece of work and replaced it with a document I didn’t want I want to be able to get the original document back. It’s on a different login but I can’t seem to login into it it was my college account which I don’t have access to anymore. Which is allowing me to use...
  3. How can I get a file back after replacing it with a document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get a file back after replacing it with a document: I saved a piece of work and replaced it with a document I didn’t want I want to be able to get the original document back. It’s on a different login but I can’t seem to login into it it was my college account which I don’t have access to anymore. Which is allowing me to use...
  4. How can I get back an expired app in desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get back an expired app in desktop: Please reply as fast as you can https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-back-an-expired-app-in-desktop/2008e04f-85e4-46d0-a59a-a48013737bdc
  5. How can I get back an expired app in desktop

How can I get back an expired app in desktop: Please reply as fast as you can https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-back-an-expired-app-in-desktop/2008e04f-85e4-46d0-a59a-a48013737bdc
  6. How do I get my Desktop back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my Desktop back?: I tried to change my desktop's location, I tried to move it inside my user "Valentina". Once I moved it new folders appeared in my desktop, when I looked for my desktop's location my user was gone and now its like this: Any time I open a folder this message appears:In...
  7. How do I get my Desktop back?

How do I get my Desktop back?: I tried to change my desktop's location, I tried to move it inside my user "Valentina". Once I moved it new folders appeared in my desktop, when I looked for my desktop's location my user was gone and now its like this: Any time I open a folder this message appears:In...
  8. How can I get the Date and Time back on my Desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I get the Date and Time back on my Desktop?: After the Windows Update on June 20, 2021, the date and time disappeared off my desktop. I want that information back. It is very handy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-the-date-and-time-back-on-my-desktop/3f5b342f-e29e-4d71-9e48-438988d34b52
  9. How to get my desktop back?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get my desktop back?: I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 and have been since its update in May but all of the sudden my desktop completely disappeared, now when i start my computer it opens the start menu and same thing when i hit the Windows key. I've tried everything, please help!...
  10. How can I get my folders back after Desktop updating?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I get my folders back after Desktop updating?: Hi everybody! I use Windows 10 and yesterday my system automatically updated my old desktop to a new one and now I have this so called "Start Menu 8 v 4" (at least that's how it's called, i don't know). I lost all the folders I used to have on my desktop. I found them somehow...