Windows 10: My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive?

Discus and support My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My pc won't go past the Asus logo, now showing "preparing auto repair" then black screen, I've seen post regarding opening in safe mode, then check the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by johann_G, Feb 21, 2024.

1. johann_G Win User

My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive?

My pc won't go past the Asus logo, now showing "preparing auto repair" then black screen, I've seen post regarding opening in safe mode, then check the drives. I'll try these methods later, but in case none of them works, and the issue is my OS drive, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive? then if I can, does it still come with the free Windows 11 upgrade? oh and if it is ok to re-install, can I also re-install my Microsoft Office?Thanks

:)

johann_G, Feb 21, 2024
  2. Hood Win User

New Secondary Drive Causes Boot Failure Windows 10

No, I didn't install Windows on anything - I'm saying that on my high-end Windows 10 Pro x64 PC, which by the way has Windows installed on a 400GB Intel 750 Series AIC, when I simply initialize and partition a new storage drive (HDD or SSD), just that, not put anything at all on the drive, just a new, empty, bare drive. When you first plug it in, a Windows dialog pops up, saying that the new disc needs to be initialized, so it can be seen by Windows Disk Management, asking if you want it use MBR or GPT partition table. Then I used Windows Disk Management to format the drive as NTFS in the full available size and assign it a drive letter (or leave it unassigned - doesn't matter). Everything normal, except the new drive doesn't show up in Windows Explorer (My computer). So I reboot, and the aforementioned failure to boot occurs. After I get back into Windows, by loading a recent system image onto my Intel 750 Series AIC boot drive, everything is working fine, and the new drive shows up in Windows Explorer as an empty but fully functional drive, with just the one partition, as normal (and I checked it with MiniTool Partition Wizard, no extra system or hidden partitions). This happened the first time with a 1 TB HDD installed to a SATA port on my motherboard. This latest time it was an SSD connected to my PC through an external USB 3 drive dock - with the same result and fix. Maybe I shouldn't use the built in Windows utilities, I should just use MiniTool to initialize and partition the drive, but I still want to know why Windows behaves this way.

3. Hood Win User
    New Secondary Drive Causes Boot Failure Windows 10

Thank you, for stating the obvious, but did anyone actually READ my post? Yes "something got corrupted" - not "between that image and now" - but exactly when was, obviously, when I used my perfectly running PC to initialize a new SSD, 30 seconds before the boot failure occurred. Of course all 7 of my existing drives were connected at the time, as why wouldn't they be? I'm only adding a new storage drive, NOT installing Windows! So Windows must be pointing it's boot loader towards the wrong drive - but NOT because of a partition being installed on it - it only contains the partition that I made, and all 4 of the UEFI Windows partitions are still in place on my Intel 750 AIC. other drives look normal - the MBR drives have a single partition, the GPT drives all have the usual 128MB partition as well as the main partition (normal behavior in a UEFI Windows system). *65046-18d4a7b660834ff6a26d6d5c5b5a90bd.jpg* I just want to know why Windows behaves this way, and how to prevent it.

4. sttubs Win User

My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive?

Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Feb 21, 2024
Thema:

1. My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive? - Similar Threads - desktop won't boot

2. My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive?: My pc won't go past the Asus logo, now showing "preparing auto repair" then black screen, I've seen post regarding opening in safe mode, then check the drives. I'll try these methods later, but in case none of them works, and the issue is my OS drive, can I re-install my...
  3. My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My desktop won't boot, in case of drive failure, can I re-install my Windows 10 on a new drive?: My pc won't go past the Asus logo, now showing "preparing auto repair" then black screen, I've seen post regarding opening in safe mode, then check the drives. I'll try these methods later, but in case none of them works, and the issue is my OS drive, can I re-install my...
  4. Re-install Windows on a new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-install Windows on a new drive: Hello, I am purchasing a new Solid State drive and I would like to re-install windows on that new drive. I do NOT need to back anything up, as I would prefer to start fresh. All of my important files are on an external USB drive. I just want to start "as new" but use my...
  5. Windows 10 Re-install after hard drive failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Re-install after hard drive failure: wher do I get a copy of windows 10 to replace mine after a drive failure https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-re-install-after-hard-drive-failure/0c95d048-18a3-4493-aa5b-8cf2de320866
  6. Windows 10 Re-install to new Drive

Windows 10 Re-install to new Drive: Hello there. I'm going to buy an SSD to replace my severely outdated boot drive and I want to re-install windows to the new drive. I know how to install but I'm not sure where to find my key. I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 when it was being offered for free....
  7. Windows 10 won't install in new case

Windows 10 won't install in new case: Had to change case because of broken switch. Installed all drives but now computer showing disk boot failure; insert system disk and press enter. There is no system disk because windows 10 was installed online from Microsoft in replacement of previous windows version. Why...
  8. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive: I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed...
  9. Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure: I've read up on creating dual boot setups, and for a while had a second system on a partition of my only hard drive. Gave that up as unwieldy and installed a second disk for backups. I propose to install a copy of my OS on the new disk as a partition. Couple of questions:...
  10. Boot failure, Windows won't boot from drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot failure, Windows won't boot from drive.: When I started my computer up today I got "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key",restarting returns the same error, selecting the drive in BIOS and booting up does nothing. I burned "Bootable rescue disk - Windows...