Windows 10: My device recognises my secondary drive but it does not show up in the file explorer.

Discus and support My device recognises my secondary drive but it does not show up in the file explorer. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I built my new computer yesterday and I have 2 drives currently (with a 3rd arriving in about a month) my boot drive works fine and has appeared in... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by alexeveleigh, Jul 30, 2019.

1. My device recognises my secondary drive but it does not show up in the file explorer.

I built my new computer yesterday and I have 2 drives currently (with a 3rd arriving in about a month) my boot drive works fine and has appeared in file explorer. I have a second drive installed and while it is recognised in the bios and in device manager, under disk drives, it does not show up in my file explorer, meaning I can not use it.

both of these drives are m.2, however the secondary drive is sata based and it is in a pcie slot. (I know, stupid mistake). however since it is detected I was hopping there may be some way to get it to work.

does anyone have any sugestions?

my motherboard is the MSI MPG X570 gaming edge wifi, the second drive is a WD Blue 1tb drive.

:)

alexeveleigh, Jul 30, 2019
  2. lvr181 Win User

Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive.

Win10 does not "see" it!
    But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive!

How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie.

Thanks.

lvr181, Jul 30, 2019
  3. The DVD drive was not showing not recognised.

Thanks.

I have gone through trouble shooting stage.

In Device manager the DVD/CD drives are shown as working correctly, the DVD drive is showing in File Explorer. When I right click properties it shows as working correctly.

When a disc is inserted and I left click on the drive in File Explorer it ejects the disc and asks for a disc to be inserted. It is therefore not recognising a valid disc.

Have you any suggestions

Regards

johnwbeasley, Jul 30, 2019
  4. mpeill Win User

My device recognises my secondary drive but it does not show up in the file explorer.

CD drive missing from File Explorer

I'm trying to burn an audio CD yet the application doesn't recognise any CD drive. Checking further, the CD drive is not listed in File Explorer until a CD media is inserted that holds valid data. The drive disappears when the media is ejected.
    Under view options, the box is unticked for "hide empty drives".
    Under device manager the drive shows as present and working normally.
    I have tried switching autoplay on and off with no effect (suggested as a fix elsewhere).
    Any ideas?

mpeill, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

My device recognises my secondary drive but it does not show up in the file explorer.

1. My device recognises my secondary drive but it does not show up in the file explorer. - Similar Threads - device recognises secondary

2. Secondary drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary drive not showing up: I installed a secondary SSD into my Ideapad gaming 5 laptop and set it up properly but upon restart it would show up about half the time in bios but would not appear in device manager or disk management. is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve me reinstalling...
  3. Secondary drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary drive not showing up: I installed a secondary SSD into my Ideapad gaming 5 laptop and set it up properly but upon restart it would show up about half the time in bios but would not appear in device manager or disk management. is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve me reinstalling...
  4. My D: drive is allocated, but does not show up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My D: drive is allocated, but does not show up in file explorer: I downgraded from Windows 11 to Windows 10. I noticed my D: drive was missing. It says it is allocated, but it is not a drive and it will not let me add a volume it is all greyed out. This is very frustrating as I have tried everything....
  5. My D: drive is allocated, but does not show up in file explorer

My D: drive is allocated, but does not show up in file explorer: I downgraded from Windows 11 to Windows 10. I noticed my D: drive was missing. It says it is allocated, but it is not a drive and it will not let me add a volume it is all greyed out. This is very frustrating as I have tried everything....
  6. My D: drive is allocated, but does not show up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer

Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer: I have a sandisk ultra flash drive that I made the mistake of plugging into a printer so that it could scan files directly on to it. I should have known better as printers always find a way to make your job harder, but, it ended up corrupting the flash drive and now I'm stuck...
  8. Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash Drive not showing up in Device Manager or File Explorer: I have a sandisk ultra flash drive that I made the mistake of plugging into a printer so that it could scan files directly on to it. I should have known better as printers always find a way to make your job harder, but, it ended up corrupting the flash drive and now I'm stuck...
  9. Secondary drive not showing up; how to access my files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary drive not showing up; how to access my files?: Hello, A few weeks ago my main hard drive died. Fortunately ? most of my work files were on other drives. But one of the drives an SSD does not show up in Explorer in the list with all my other drives. Or, only one partition of it doeswhich was set aside for Paging....
  10. My device reconises my secondary drive but it does not show up in the file explorer.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    My device reconises my secondary drive but it does not show up in the file explorer.: I built my new computer yesterday and I have 2 drives currently (with a 3rd arriving in about a month) my boot drive works fine and has appeared in file explorer. I have a second drive installed and while it is recognised in the bios and in device manager, under disk drives,...