Windows 10: My devices are pretty old, are they gonna work on 64-bit Win 10 ?

Discus and support My devices are pretty old, are they gonna work on 64-bit Win 10 ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey, I'm thinking about switching from Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit today or tomorrow. But my mouse, keyboard and monitor and pretty old and is that a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BicycleRow, Feb 5, 2017.

1. My devices are pretty old, are they gonna work on 64-bit Win 10 ?

Hey,

I'm thinking about switching from Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit today or tomorrow. But my mouse, keyboard and monitor and pretty old and is that a problem? I don't know if it even matters but are they gonna work on a 64-bit OS?

:)

BicycleRow, Feb 5, 2017
  2. Kupuna Win User

Win10 from 32 to 64 bits?

I have been working with the Win 10 Previews on a 32 bit machine. In the near future, I plan to replace my motherboard with one that contains a 64 bit Intel CPU. When I finally get to download my free Win 10, how can I ensure that it installs for 64 bits,
    or will there be two versions, like Win7?

*Will the download be allowed only to my "old" 32-bit system?

*If I install the 64 bit motherboard, will I still be allowed to download a free copy of Win 10?

Maybe it is too soon to raise these questions, but I'd really like to go ahead with my 64 bit upgrade without losing my "right" to the Win 10 (64-bit?) copy.

Kupuna, Feb 5, 2017
  3. dual boot win 10

I had upgraded my old 32 bit win 10 to a 64 bit win 10 system and while I was transferring my files, I dual booted from the original 32 bit Win 10 system. Now that everything is running smoothly, I would like to remove the old 32 bit partition and included
    the space in my new 64 bit system. However, when I go into the disk management, it is listing the old 32 bit system as 'system,active,primary' partition and is listing my new 64 bit system as (boot, pagefile, crash dump, primary partiton). I am afraid to make
    this partition as active in case I lose all my files. Any suggestion of how to get rid of the 32 bit partition and make the 64 bit system bootable?

Thanks

Key Buster

KeyBusters, Feb 5, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

My devices are pretty old, are they gonna work on 64-bit Win 10 ?

Mouse, keyboard and monitor do not matter.

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Your cpu can handle 64-bit but we'd need a complete breakdown of all your computer's components. You can use this program to find the information if you're not sure.

swarfega, Feb 5, 2017
  6. Here are all my specs and parts: HP Pavilion Slimline s5130at Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP(R) Customer Support

Also, my Windows is activated digitally with my MS account, if I install 64-bit is it gonna auto activate when I log in? I started downloading it on a flash drive and it said it might need a product key.

BicycleRow, Feb 5, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    Yes, once you upgrade to 64-bit it'l automatically activate. You will need to do a clean installation of Windows in order to change to 64-bit. Before you do, make sure your current installation is properly activated and that you're using a Microsoft Account so you can activate in the future.

swarfega, Feb 5, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Unfortunately you can't upgrade frpm 32 to 64 bit OS --but what still works is if you have a RETAIL 64 bit version of W7 / W8 W8.1 (not Enterprise) you can use the keys from those products.

You might find modern monitors etc don't have VGA (Old fashioned Monitor cable) input but USB mouse / keyboard still work - as do OS/2 --> USB adapters.

Other old legacy hardware probably won't work as they will need modern 64 bit drivers. (You could run a 32 bit VM of course !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2017
  9. A Microsoft Account is not required for activation. You can activate with a local account. *Wink

alphanumeric, Feb 5, 2017
  10. What's the reason that I can't upgrade to 64-bit?

BicycleRow, Feb 5, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    @BicycleRow doesn't need a product key because he or she already has Windows 10 32-bit installed and activated. During the installation process, just click the little link for I Don't Have a Product Key and once connected to the internet Windows 10 will activate itself again assuming you install the same version (Home or Pro) onto the same computer. 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 10 use the same license - if they are the same version (Home or Pro).

As @alphanumeric pointed out, a Microsoft Account is not even required for it.

You can't go from 32-bit to 64-bit with an upgrade. You have to do a clean install to switch.

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR - Yeah, I know. That's what I meant by "upgrading". I'm gonna download it on a flash drive tomorrow but I wanna be 100% sure there won't be any problems before I do it.

Just a few more questions: Does 64-bit use more RAM and CPU? Will my rig get a bit slower if I install 64-bit? I've read on a site that it uses more. But if so, how much?

I currently have 3.12 GB of RAM available. Will I be able to use all 4 GB, or at least a little more, with 64-bit?
    And are there any downsides of running it under 4 GB of RAM?

BicycleRow, Feb 5, 2017
  13. My devices are pretty old, are they gonna work on 64-bit Win 10 ?

There is no upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit. It's a fundamental shift in architecture.

alphanumeric, Feb 5, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    It will use more RAM and more CPU - that's pretty much the whole point of moving to 64 bit My devices are pretty old, are they gonna work on 64-bit Win 10 ? :).

You will see available RAM jump to 3.8 GB +

With your computer specs, I would say you will get a tiny improvement in performance and probably only when running actual 64 bit applications. The increase in free RAM will be used mostly by the increase in what 64 bit Windows requires to run itself. Going above 4 GB installed RAM is when you really need to move to 64 bit.

NavyLCDR, Feb 5, 2017
  15. Now I don't know on whether I should install it. I mean yeah, the freed RAM will be used by the 64-bit system but it's still gonna use more of the CPU, right? Thus making my system a bit slower? I wanted to change to 64-bit for the RAM and because I currently have a problem with the video card drivers crashing and I was hoping that it'll fix it. It could be something else though.

I mean, I can still try it. I can make a backup of my 32-bit version and if my performance gets slower with 64 I can bring back 32. I don't know, with these low-end specs I really wanna get the most out of my PC. I know that I should buy a better one but for now I gotta stick with this one.

BicycleRow, Feb 5, 2017
Thema:

1. My devices are pretty old, are they gonna work on 64-bit Win 10 ? - Similar Threads - devices are pretty

2. Upgrading win 10 Home 64 bits to Win 10 64 bits Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading win 10 Home 64 bits to Win 10 64 bits Pro: I have a laptop with win10 Home 64 bits installed on it. I need t upgrade it to Win 10 Pro 64 bits. I have a digital Licence on my PC Pro 64 bits. I have already tried to upgrade my laptop with clean install but Microsoft does not give me any choice except buying the...
  3. Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit

Win 10 32-bit to 64-bit: Hello, I recently upgraded my old Dell Optiplex 390 pc I had laying around. I started with updating to Windows 10 then added some more RAM to the system. Unfortunately i'm running on the 32 bit OS and it cannot use the extra 5 RAM i added to it and its currently being used as...
  4. Win 10 64 bit/over win 10 32/bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 64 bit/over win 10 32/bit: can I install win 10 pro 64 bit on existing win 10 home 32 bit computer without losing data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-64-bitover-win-10-32bit/49a5575d-2e69-497c-ba17-78619d6d62bb
  5. Win 10 64 bit crash

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 64 bit crash: Damn win10. I have my computer set to automatically shut down at 6:00 in the morning in case I have left my computer on. This time, just moments before6:00, I was entering a YouTube comment on Firefox 73.0.1, when the shut down occurred. Then, after powering back up, it tells...
  6. Win 10 64-bit to 32-bit

Win 10 64-bit to 32-bit: I have Win 10 64-bit but some older programs won't work on it. The maker of the programs have abandoned them so I can't go back for updated versions. I've tried the compatibility mode, etc. I'm thinking I might solve the problem by installing the Win 10 32-bit version. I...
  7. win 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 10 64 bit: Hello, I have win 10 64 bit, is there a way i can run a game that is 32 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/win-10-64-bit/df9c9918-85fb-40e3-924b-7feeaf5c44a9
  8. win 10 64 bit

win 10 64 bit: I bought a disc win 10 0em from newegg. ok here,s the question if I get a new motherboard I will be able to activate like win 7 right? clean install from dvd it has a license on the package. 40253
  9. Win 10 32 bit to Win 10 64 bit

Win 10 32 bit to Win 10 64 bit: I am wanting to upgrade my wife's comp from win 10 32 bit to win 10 64 bit, her win 10 is activated. I've downloaded the Win 10 64 bit ISO to my machine (Win 10 64 bit). Do I just burn the ISO to DVD and then boot my wife's machine with that or do I mount it on my machine...
  10. WIN 10 64 bit will not startup

in Windows 10 Support
    WIN 10 64 bit will not startup: I have been running win 10 on my desktop for the last month and all was great. Yesterday I installed Roxio NXT 4 (I know it is not this forums problem) anyway after the install win 10 will not start. I get the message(s) that it is trying to repair but it cannot. I am trying...