Windows 10: My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount

Discus and support My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello, I have followed all the guides on the internet about how to make Windows 10 mount a disk image but it won't mount MY own disk image I made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by flexmcmurphy, May 18, 2021.

1. My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount

Hello, I have followed all the guides on the internet about how to make Windows 10 mount a disk image but it won't mount MY own disk image I made myself. Just to illustrate what I am doing to make the.img file, here is a bash script I run in Linux: Code: #!/bin/bash # # Script to make a disk image file # Partition it and write a fat32 file system to it # cd /home/flex/scripts dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.img bs=1M count=100 losetup -fP disk.img loopdevice=$(losetup -a | grep disk.img | awk '{print $1;}' | cut -f1 -d ":") echo $loopdevice echo $loopdevice"p1" parted -s $loopdevice mklabel msdos parted -s $loopdevice mkpart primary fat32 2048s 100% mkdosfs -F 32 $loopdevice"p1" gparted $loopdevice #losetup -d $loopdevice Basically I make a blank disk image and partition it and format it as fat32. Now if I put that disk.img file in Windows 10 and right click on it and go Open - With Windows Explorer I get the message: "Sorry, There was a problem mounting the file". I found this other tool: OSFMount and I can open the .img file with that just fine in Win 10. I also have the same problem if I use the linux dd command to copy a hard drive partition to a .img file. e.g: Code: dd if=/dev/sda1 of=partition1.img bs=1M status=progress I also can't just open that .img file in Windows by double clicking it or right clicking on it then Open-with Explorer Or selecting "Mount" from the menu. I just get an error message saying it could not be opened or it is corrupt or something. Whereas it WILL open in Win 10 with OSFMount and double clicking on it in Linux DOES open it just fine. Is there some special format I need to follow to author a disk image file so that I don't need to use OSFMount but instead just maybe double clicking on it will mount and open it in Windows 10 Explorer? Basically I want to put a load of files in a disk image and share it with someone but make it as simple as possible. Cheers, Flex

:)

flexmcmurphy, May 18, 2021

2. My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount

Hello,

I have followed all the guides on the internet about how to make Windows 10 mount a disk image but it won't mount MY own disk image I made myself.

Just to illustrate what I am doing to make the.img file, here is a bash script I run in Linux:
    Code:
    Basically I make a blank disk image and partition it and format it as fat32.

Now if I put that disk.img file in Windows 10 and right click on it and go Open - With Windows Explorer I get the message: "Sorry, There was a problem mounting the file". I found this other tool: OSFMount and I can open the .img file with that just fine in Win 10.

I also have the same problem if I use the linux dd command to copy a hard drive partition to a .img file. e.g:

Code:
    I also can't just open that .img file in Windows by double clicking it or right clicking on it then Open-with Explorer Or selecting "Mount" from the menu. I just get an error message saying it could not be opened or it is corrupt or something. Whereas it WILL open in Win 10 with OSFMount and double clicking on it in Linux DOES open it just fine.

Is there some special format I need to follow to author a disk image file so that I don't need to use OSFMount but instead
    just maybe double clicking on it will mount and open it in Windows 10 Explorer? Basically I want to put a load of files in a disk image and share it with someone but make it as simple as possible.

Cheers,

Flex

flexmcmurphy, May 18, 2021
  3. tamo Win User
    iPhone won,t connect win 10 Pro

My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount [​IMG]

4. tamo Win User

My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount

iPhone won,t connect win 10 Pro

My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount [​IMG]

Thema:

My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount

1. My disk image won't mount in Win 10 unless I use OSFMount - Similar Threads - disk image won't

2. Volume won't mount unless HFS+ is running but it's NOT HFS+

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Volume won't mount unless HFS+ is running but it's NOT HFS+: This is a weird issue I can't seem to resolve. Here we go: I have a PC running Win10. Attached is a 4-bay USB3 enclosure with all bays occupied. When I power up the enclosure, only three of the four drives actually mount. The only way I've been able to get that fourth drive...
  3. Daemon Tools Pro won't start or mount images

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Daemon Tools Pro won't start or mount images: Like title says, for some reason Daemon Tools Pro (latest build 8.3.0) won't launch or mount images anymore. When I double click the application shortcut or images to mount (they're associated to open with DT), the loading cursor appears for a split second but nothing...
  4. BitLocker Disk Image Mount On W10 Home?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BitLocker Disk Image Mount On W10 Home?: Can I use a Windows 10 Pro device to create a BitLocker enabled disk image and mount it with the password on a Windows 10 Home PC? I know W10 Home can’t create BitLocker drives but can it mount and edit/add to them? submitted by /u/voidstructure [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows 10 won't mount

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 won't mount: I've tried a variety of methods to mount various ISO's (which are fine, I can open them in 7ZIP) and no dice. The powershell method gives me an error message... mount-diskimage -imagepath "X:\new build\DAW\NI Installers\cuba.iso" mount-diskimage : The semaphore timeout...
  6. Dism error when trying to Mount a Win 10 image

in Windows 10 Support
    Dism error when trying to Mount a Win 10 image: I am trying to mount a wim, which I have done many times, using this command in powershell dism.exe /Mount-wim /WimFile:c:\temp\win10.wim /index:1 /MountDir:c:\mount I get a return from Powershell that references the log with this one error. Oddly the log references an...
  7. Disk image for Win 10 Education

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk image for Win 10 Education: I am getting ready to build a new PC and recieved a product key from my university. I woud like to create a boot drive and was curious if there is a specific ISO that I need to download for the Education edition....
  8. Mount Image Files

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Mount Image Files: Am I mistaken, or didn't Windows 10 come with an built in application for mounting image files? I have a .bin file that I am not able to mount automatically. Thanks 23752
  9. How do I mount a Macrium disk image?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I mount a Macrium disk image?: The images I have are in the form: XXXXXX.mrimg. How do I mount an image so I can read and use individual files and folders? Thank you. 60278
  10. Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not boot unless USB drive with win 10 image is in.: Hi! I can not boot in uefi mode or with secure boot on, I can only use CSM mode. Also when I try to boot without usb drive(which has win 10 on it) in computer it just shuts down and then turn on back and give me error that all boot options have been tried press f4 etc........

Users found this page by searching for:

1. osfmount why cant mount as read and write