Windows 10: My display settings aren't being retained

Discus and support My display settings aren't being retained in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am running a DELL XPS laptop with 2 external screens. I have connected them both and they work fine, however the moment I restart the laptop, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nishaal Rooplall, Nov 30, 2020.

1. My display settings aren't being retained

I am running a DELL XPS laptop with 2 external screens.

I have connected them both and they work fine, however the moment I restart the laptop, the display settings change.

They only come back after unplugging and re-plugging in the HDMI cables again.

It is quite frustrating.

I have updated all drivers and done as many windows updates as possible. Still no solution. Tried using different USCB C ports and still no solution.

Please help.

:)

Nishaal Rooplall, Nov 30, 2020
  2. diego Win User

Icons from apps aren´t displayed correctly

My display settings aren't being retained [​IMG]

The native apps from the system are all showing this strange square instead of the normal icons. Please help resolve this problem. Thanks

diego, Nov 30, 2020
  3. Icons from apps aren´t displayed correctly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

Do the apps work fine apart form the icons not displaying correctly? If so I would suggest you to run an SFC scan and check if it helps. If the issue persists you may run DISM command and check.

Follow this steps:

• Press Windows+X.

• Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the command SFC /SCANNOW and
        DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and hit
        Enter.
    Hope the information provided was helpful and do let us know if you need any assistance in the future. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri, Nov 30, 2020
  4. My display settings aren't being retained

Display and sleep settings

Hi,

In order to help you with the issue about the display and sleep settings, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by MVP Andre Da Costa? If you did, what were the results?
    • For us to avoid redundancy of the troubleshooting process, what were the other steps you have done to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your next post.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

My display settings aren't being retained

1. My display settings aren't being retained - Similar Threads - display settings aren't

2. My existing folders and files aren't being displayed in the save window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My existing folders and files aren't being displayed in the save window: Since switching to Windows 11, whenever I use "save as" or save a file for the first time, my pre-existing files and folders aren't showing up. I can still choose a location to save to by using the location path/address at the very top, but I otherwise have a mostly empty...
  3. My existing folders and files aren't being displayed in the save window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My existing folders and files aren't being displayed in the save window: Since switching to Windows 11, whenever I use "save as" or save a file for the first time, my pre-existing files and folders aren't showing up. I can still choose a location to save to by using the location path/address at the very top, but I otherwise have a mostly empty...
  4. Windows 11 not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not retaining settings: When I am installing Windows 11 on my computer, which is compatible with Windows 11, my computer is undoing changes made to the computer. Please help me solve this issue ** original title: Computer **...
  5. Windows 11 not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 not retaining settings: When I am installing Windows 11 on my computer, which is compatible with Windows 11, my computer is undoing changes made to the computer. Please help me solve this issue ** original title: Computer **...
  6. password not being retained in memory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    password not being retained in memory: After Applying October 13, 2020-KB4578968 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 , version 20H2 many of my applications are now asking for passwords over and over including Microsoft. It appears that for some reason these running applications are not...
  7. MS Pwd not being retained

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS Pwd not being retained: According to the suggestions on your community help page that to correct the MS Acct I have to perform a number of major steps to get this pwd to stay recognized. I think not, MS needs to get its program operational so that the end user doesn't have to spend valuable time...
  8. MSI Afterburner not retaining settings

in Windows 10 Support
    MSI Afterburner not retaining settings: My MSI AB settings are not being retained either at Windows startup or if I quit AB. I have applied the settings, saved them to profile 1 and the Windows Startup icon is green. Is there some addiotnal step I need to do? W10 64 bit 2004 163765
  9. Speakers aren't being recognized

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Speakers aren't being recognized: Hey guys. Unfortunately, my laptop speakers (I have an HP Spectre x360 13t 2020) aren't being detected by windows anymore. I have version 2004 Build 20150.1000. If you need any more info, I will provide it. Thanks. submitted by /u/Boinbo [link] [comments]...
  10. Notification settings per application not being retained

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification settings per application not being retained: Windows 10 Home 1909 (18363.657) I've seen other mentions of this all around the web but no working solutions: Some of my App Notification settings are not being retained. Specifically, I use an old (non-Store) but just-what-I-need reminder program (Kana Reminder) and it...