Windows 10: My DNS keeps changing

Discus and support My DNS keeps changing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I need help with a thing with is annoying me. Since my parents are divorced I have to go to each others houses every week. Whenever I set up my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by porky0924, Feb 12, 2021.

1. porky0924 Win User

My DNS keeps changing

Hello, I need help with a thing with is annoying me. Since my parents are divorced I have to go to each others houses every week. Whenever I set up my pc, my internet is horrible. The way I always fix it is by changing the DNS manually. But whenever I turn my pc back on it resets to auto. Any help?

:)

porky0924, Feb 12, 2021

2. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Feb 12, 2021
  3. dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

My DNS keeps changing [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

My DNS keeps changing [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Feb 12, 2021
  4. LeonLaude Win User

My DNS keeps changing

DNS SERVER NOT RESONDING

Hi Rita French,

This issue often occurs when the DNS settings are incorrect. I suggest you to perform the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1:

I would recommend you to change the Preferred DNS server and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run window, type
      ncpa.cpl and press Enter.
    • Right-click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click
      Properties.
    • In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the Preferred DNS server to
    • Click OK twice to complete the modification.

Note: If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Method 2:

If that does not help, try to flush the DNS. Follow these steps below.

• From Start screen, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Type: ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

Note: The ipconfig /flushdns command provides you with a means to flush and reset the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, if necessary, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well
    as, any other dynamically added entries.

Hope any of these methods help!

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

My DNS keeps changing

1. My DNS keeps changing - Similar Threads - DNS keeps changing

2. Shortcut to change DNS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut to change DNS: in windows 11: i wanna create three shortcuts. one which will set the dns to automatic. two will set it to cloudflare's 1.1.1.1.: ipv4 = 1.1.1.1, alt=1.0.0.1, ipv6=2606:4700:4700::1111, alt=2606:4700:4700::1001. and three will set it to google dns: ipv48.8.8.8, alt=8.8.4.4,...
  3. Windows changing my DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows changing my DNS Servers: Hi, my windows installation is always changing my DNS servers to 127.0.2.2 and 127.0.2.3 every time the machine is restarted, i keep changing to another DNS Servers and after the restart windows changes....
  4. Windows changing my DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows changing my DNS Servers: Hi, my windows installation is always changing my DNS servers to 127.0.2.2 and 127.0.2.3 every time the machine is restarted, i keep changing to another DNS Servers and after the restart windows changes....
  5. Windows changing my DNS Servers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows Defender keeps changing my custom DNS back to DHCP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender keeps changing my custom DNS back to DHCP: If you're experiencing the same thing, your custom DNS keeps reverting to DHCP, it may be Windows Defender.I've repeatedly set custom static DNS settings only to find that it later reverted back to DHCP. with much less reliable service as a resultI resolved the issue by...
  7. My DNS Server keeps changing.

My DNS Server keeps changing.: My DNS keeps changing, idk why... microsoft can you help me fix the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dns-server-keeps-changing/2f85b43c-7e3a-4a7e-aa89-90cb81fc8515
  8. Change DNS Server

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change DNS Server: When changing DNS Server do you need to change only Internet Protocol Version 4 or you need to change Internet Protocol Version 6 as well? From what Ive read some include IPv6 some don't so I dont know if I should change both or just IPv4. I wanted to change to Cloudflare...
  9. DNS keep changing to 8.8.8.8 & 9.9.9.9

DNS keep changing to 8.8.8.8 & 9.9.9.9: Dear Respected All ,, I have issue with DNS , it`s changed in all computers from obtain DNS automatically to Use the following preferred DNS :8.8.8.8 Alternate DNS : 9.9.9.9 This happen in one premises of our campus and result in login issues to all users and no...
  10. DNS server keeps changing itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DNS server keeps changing itself: I used to have my DNS server set to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 but in order to access a shared drive at work, I have to set it to automatic. Problem is, every time I bring my laptop into work, it's changed itself back to the Google DNS and I have to manually change it back every day....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. obtain dns server address automatically keeps changing