Windows 10: My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and...

Discus and support My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; so i was trying to set up a backup by moving the documents folder and pictures folder to onedrive, however i forgot to redirect it to a subfolder in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kevinwoodger, Nov 5, 2018.

1. My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and...

so i was trying to set up a backup by moving the documents folder and pictures folder to onedrive, however i forgot to redirect it to a subfolder in onedrive and just directed it straight to 'C:/users/kevin/onedrive'. so obviously they both became 'onedrive'. So to fix this i redirected one back to default, C:/users/kevin/Pictures' but found the other 'Documents' also did the same and so they are now merged as both 'pictures' Please help restore them back to pictures and documents separately My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and... 50a05c85-20e9-4eaa-aadc-a41296746d5c?upload=true.jpg My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and... dd13df59-0a7c-41f0-8d9c-23a7e4d8677a?upload=true.jpg My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and... fccfe707-de69-4d61-a0d2-23b6c751ff98?upload=true.jpg

Plus in properties they both have the documents symbol

:)

kevinwoodger, Nov 5, 2018

2. Location on Documents folder and Pictures folder has been changed to OneDrive

Instead of unlinking and uninstalling OneDrive, you probably should just change its auto save behavior.

Use the OneDrive app settings to change where your files are saved by default.

In the Notifications area at the bottom of your Windows screen, right-click the OneDrive icon and click Settings. You might have to click Show hidden icons to find OneDrive.

In the Settings box, on the Auto save tab, under Documents and Pictures, click the list at Documents or Pictures and pick the default save location you want.

This PC only - When you create a file, the Documents or Pictures folder under This PC is the first-choice location offered to save it. The file is not saved to OneDrive unless you do so separately, and it is available only on the PC you used to save it.

OneDrive - When you create a file, the first location offered is within the Documents or Pictures folder under OneDrive. Because these folders sync to your PC, files you save there are available on your PC, even when it's not connected to the Internet. And
    you can use any device with an Internet connection to access your files.

Note: No matter which default setting you choose, you still can select the save location you want each time you save a file. When you click Save for new files or Save As for existing files, click OneDrive or This PC and then pick a folder to save your file
    to.

Find and move your files

The Documents and Pictures folders exist in both This PC and OneDrive, which might make them easy to mix up. If you've mistakenly saved a file - for example, you save a file to the Documents folder in your PC instead of the Documents folder in OneDrive, use
    File Explorer or the OneDrive app to drag the files where you want them.

From the Start menu, click the OneDrive tile to open the OneDrive app built into File Explorer.

In the file list on the right, browse to find the file you want to move, and drag it to the correct folder in the folder list on the left.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 6, 2018
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and... [​IMG]

mrgeek, Nov 6, 2018
  4. My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and...

OneDrive resulted in duplicate Documents folders, can't merge

As a result of using OneDrive, my system folders like Documents and Pictures are now subfolders of OneDrive. I may have done that unwittingly. I don't remember.

The system folders also exist in the standard folder, i.e., c:/users/<username>/... . The OneDrive versions show the Location tab in Properties; the Users version do not. The folders within them are different.

I uninstalled OneDrive and want to merge the OneDrive copy back to Users. When I move the location it asks me if I want to move existing documents, to which I say yes. After confirmation, the move fails. The message says there's already a system folder with
    that name.

How I complete this move so I end up with only one of each of the system folders, in the \users\<username>\ directory?

If absolutely necessary I'm willing to back up all data to an external drive and reset the PC, but I'd rather avoid that.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisCowles, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and...

1. My documents and pictures folders are merged after i changed the directory to onedrive and... - Similar Threads - documents pictures folders

2. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  3. Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive: H.i just install windows10 on new machine and loaded my files. When I loaded the files to the documents folder they stated to sync to OneDrive. I have turned off Sync in Onedrive but if I log on to OneDrive it starts to sync again.The Desktop, the Documents folder and the...
  4. Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive: H.i just install windows10 on new machine and loaded my files. When I loaded the files to the documents folder they stated to sync to OneDrive. I have turned off Sync in Onedrive but if I log on to OneDrive it starts to sync again.The Desktop, the Documents folder and the...
  5. Why are my Desktop, Documents folder and Pictures folder in Onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.

Documents folder stuck in OneDrive and duplicate Pictures folders.: I was moving some folders around and my Documents folder ended up getting moved into my OneDrive Folder from This PC. Where my Documents folder used to be there's now a duplicate Pictures folder with the same icon as my old Documents Folder. When I tried to restore the...
  7. Windows 10 *This PC > Documents* directory changed to OneDrive folder after setting up a...

Windows 10 *This PC > Documents* directory changed to OneDrive folder after setting up a...: As opposed to the normal *c:\users\'my_name'\Documents* my *This PC > Documents* has moved to *c:\users\'my_name'\'university'\'OneDrive'\'Documents'*. I used to have OneDrive but after setting up a new computer I deleted it. I cannot change the location of *This PC >...
  8. Merge Document Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Merge Document Folders: Runing Win 10 1909 I have the normal Documents folder in Local Disc C:\users/owner/documents. I also have created a Documents folder in another drive E. I want to move the content on E to the other Documents folder. What is the correct procedure so I don't lost any links to...
  9. Folders: Changing directory of user library folders desktop, music, pictures, documents, videos

Folders: Changing directory of user library folders desktop, music, pictures, documents, videos: For the user library folders such as Desktop, Music, Pictures, I know that the directory can be changed by going in to "properties" > "location" Like so: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-location-of-user-folders-in-windows/ I'm looking to change the directory of these...
  10. Merging of documents videos and pictures...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Merging of documents videos and pictures...: I tried moving documents, videos, and pictures from C drive to D drive and they got merged. Now how do i separate them????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merging-of-documents-videos-and-pictures/840ec47e-211c-45a4-b352-8b1fc6b7f26c

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the pictures folder in onedrive has moved to a subfolder under documents. how do i change it back.

2. how did my document folder get combined with my pictures file?

3. how to repair merged documents and photos folders

4. merged documents and pictures