Windows 10: My Documents denied access problem and dup image files

Discus and support My Documents denied access problem and dup image files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I try to open C:\users\username\my documents I am getting Code: location is unavailable C:\users\....\my documents is not accessible. access is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Mar 14, 2016.

1. chipwood Win User

My Documents denied access problem and dup image files

When I try to open C:\users\username\my documents
    I am getting Code: location is unavailable C:\users\....\my documents is not accessible. access is denied[/quote] Can someone, please, explain why this is happening, and supply the cure to my problem.

Also I found nearly all my image files were duplicated in My Pictures. These have been zipped to a folder out of that location.

Why on earth is 10 doing that to me too??*Confused

:)

chipwood, Mar 14, 2016

2. Can't access my local docs folder . Win 10 says Access denied when I try to reset to default.

THIS PC Documents goes to my ONE DRIVE FOLDER and not the DOCUMENTS folder under users\me\Documents....

1. I can get to the local document folder by navigating to This PC/Users/me/Documents.

but, I want to be able to directly access it via File Explorer under THIS PC

Tried to restore default. Got Access denied message.

My Documents denied access problem and dup image files [​IMG]

RwRodriguez, Mar 14, 2016
  3. MikeP_996 Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade - File Explorer Missing Documents

I have the same problem as indy39. There are some of the folders from my original documents folder available together with the odd file. I have used file explorer to look in 'windows.old' and the document folder is there but access to it is denied.
    Is there any way that I can reinstall this (very important) folder?

MikeP_996, Mar 14, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

There is no My Documents folder, only Documents. My Documents, if it shows, would be a junction or hard link.
    You can read about them here: Junction Dysfunction

Written for Windows 7 but still applies.

Ztruker, Mar 16, 2016
  5. spacecon Win User
    Hi. I read the info about junctions, but it is pretty greek to me. I have similar "my documents" "local settings" and other such shortcuts or junctions or whatever that do not allow access. What is the bottom line here? Do I dare delete these shortcuts that don't allow access (at least the symbol icon looks like a shortcut to me)? Or will that get me in big trouble such as deleting all my documents?

spacecon, Jul 7, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    No No No ... leave them alone and ignore them.

Ztruker, Jul 8, 2016
  7. spacecon Win User
    OK, thanks Ztruker. You have been helpful again, as in the past. I have to say it is a little frustrating to have things in file explorer that you click on that give you error messages, and it is human nature to want to "fix" that. But I will leave them alone. thanks again.

spacecon, Jul 8, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

If you check Hide protected Operating System files [Recommended] then you won't see them. There really is no reason to have that unchecked a s the norm. Only do so when you are working a problem and need to see the hidden files and folders.

Ztruker, Jul 8, 2016
  9. spacecon Win User
    Ah, excellent. That works, thanks Ztruker. Detailed procedure is: From file explorer, select "view" tab, then the options down arrow, select "change folder and search options", then select "view" tab, then check "don't show hidden files, folders, or drives". Then close out file explorer and reopen and the junctions or shortcuts or whatever they are go away. So now I don't accidentally keep clicking on the wrong things that don't "work". Thanks again.

spacecon, Jul 8, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Good, glad that helped.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. My Documents denied access problem and dup image files - Similar Threads - Documents denied access

2. Access to file denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access to file denied: Files from previous account held in new account but access denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-file-denied/68d6af4c-32bd-4077-885c-45af79360b2e
  3. My Documents: Access Denied: Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Documents: Access Denied: Windows 10: Apparently, as usual, MS is loaded with incompetent software engineers. Actually testing something is not in their purview... Dozens of application all default to setting things to "My Documents". So, just go try to find it. Of course, naming folders like that really only...
  4. Access denied of "Documents"

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied of "Documents": Hi, I just recently realised that my folder "Documents" can't be edited. Whenever I try to delete a file or change a name in it, it just gives me the error of "Access denied" even though I am the admin of the computer. I provided a screenshot. [img] I found a .reg...
  5. File Access Denied

File Access Denied: I am trying to add a comment to a URL shortcut on my desktop. So, I right click the file, choose Properties, then Details. I fill in the Description field. I hit Apply and get: File Access Denied - You'll need to provide administrator permission to apply properties to this...
  6. denied access to my files

denied access to my files: What are the crosses that deny access to my files in explorer. How do I get rid of them so that I can open my files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/denied-access-to-my-files/b9b8317e-8ffc-4602-ad09-8d464d219189
  7. Unable to execute file, access is denied problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to execute file, access is denied problem: I downloaded an installer of a known animating program directly from their website. I installed it successfully and were able to use and normally. That was the month before this problem showed up. Now, when I open the program, it won't let me use it because of an error....
  8. Access Denied Documents Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Access Denied Documents Folder: I have a gaming mouse which is being denied access to my documents folder, I had some kind of issue like this before. . My security settings have given me occasional issue in the past. My only real concern is this program loads at start, I want it granted access to do...
  9. Access to Users/Documents denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Access to Users/Documents denied: Hi all, Everything was working fine till now, then suddenly I get an error message that access to Users/jain/Documents is denied. I searched a bit online and I ended up unlinking my OneDrive account and enabling the hidden Administrator account to no vail. Its not just...
  10. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Support
    File Access Denied: I get the following message when I try to 'save, 'save as' or 'paste': File Access Denied You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file. I have no idea was to what causes this nor have I made any security changes. Any ideas? 29590