Windows 10: My Documents folder has disappeared

Discus and support My Documents folder has disappeared in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Following a recent update I can no longer find or access my "My Documents" folder.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RonRichardson4, Sep 29, 2020.

1. My Documents folder has disappeared

Following a recent update I can no longer find or access my "My Documents" folder.

:)

RonRichardson4, Sep 29, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Sep 29, 2020
  3. silkstone Win User
    Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

My Documents folder has disappeared upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Sep 29, 2020
  4. curt jugg Win User

My Documents folder has disappeared

Files disappearing from my Documents folder

Yesterday I found that certain files had disappeared from my Documents folder. Some, but not all, of them had also disappeared from the back-up copies I keep in an external hard drive. I had made no changes to my computer and the files were there the day before.
    I did a normal System Restore but it failed, so I did a System Restore in Safe Mode and this was successful and all the files reappeared.
    Although I no longer have a problem, I am concerned that the same thing might happen again. Can anyone suggest what could have been the cause of the disappearance, please? Windows Defender has not shown up any viruses and I'm at a loss as to what could have happened. Grateful for any suggestions.

curt jugg, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

My Documents folder has disappeared

1. My Documents folder has disappeared - Similar Threads - Documents folder has

2. Folder Tree Has Disappeared After Re-Locating the "Documents" Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Tree Has Disappeared After Re-Locating the "Documents" Folder: Windows 10 File ExplorerMy virtual folder "Documents" was pointing at "C:\Tony" which contained most of my useful documents.I was experimenting and changed the location of the "Documents" foilder tp "C:\Users\Tony". I did not tell windows to copy all the files and folders...
  3. Folder Tree Has Disappeared After Re-Locating the "Documents" Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Tree Has Disappeared After Re-Locating the "Documents" Folder: Windows 10 File ExplorerMy virtual folder "Documents" was pointing at "C:\Tony" which contained most of my useful documents.I was experimenting and changed the location of the "Documents" foilder tp "C:\Users\Tony". I did not tell windows to copy all the files and folders...
  4. Folder Tree Has Disappeared After Re-Locating the "Documents" Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files and folders in My Documents have disappeared!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files and folders in My Documents have disappeared!: Help! A couple of days ago I was saving a document and it said it could not find the file location. That is when I discovered all of the files and folders in My Documents have disappeared! The only folder in My Documents is Custom Office Templates and it's empty. I have...
  6. Files and folders in My Documents have disappeared!

Files and folders in My Documents have disappeared!: Help! A couple of days ago I was saving a document and it said it could not find the file location. That is when I discovered all of the files and folders in My Documents have disappeared! The only folder in My Documents is Custom Office Templates and it's empty. I have...
  7. Folder has disappeared from Documents

Folder has disappeared from Documents: A folder has disappeared from Documents. How can I recover it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-has-disappeared-from-documents/fc93dbf9-81f8-44d9-ba1b-c8576bdad0de
  8. Folder has disappeared from Documents Folder

Folder has disappeared from Documents Folder: Logged onto my Microsoft computer today and the most important folder in my Documents folder has disappeared. The whole folder including all the documents is gone. When I go into another application like Word and look at the recent documents I can find a document that was in...
  9. My saved document has disappeared...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My saved document has disappeared...: I was in the middle of typing a long letter. When I stopped typing today, I saved it under a title I had used previously since I had already deleted that text. The system asked told me I already had a document titled "EddieJan3rd" and did I want to replace it. I clicked on...
  10. Files disappearing from my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Files disappearing from my Documents folder: Yesterday I found that certain files had disappeared from my Documents folder. Some, but not all, of them had also disappeared from the back-up copies I keep in an external hard drive. I had made no changes to my computer and the files were there the day before. I did a...