Windows 10: My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive

Discus and support My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a brand new machine that I'm just now getting set up after my old machine crashed. When I was initially setting up my Onedrive, I didn't realize... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoeNolan1, Mar 2, 2019.

1. JoeNolan1 Win User

My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive

I have a brand new machine that I'm just now getting set up after my old machine crashed. When I was initially setting up my Onedrive, I didn't realize that I was syncing the files I'd already uploaded to Onedrive back onto the new machine. Afterwards, as best as I can remember, it seemed that my Documents folder's name was changed to one of the files that was on Onedrive, but it had % signs in front and back. This confused me, and assuming I did something wrong, I went into Control Panel and restored it to the earliest version that was on the machine, which seemed to set the Documents file names back to what they should have been.

A little while later, I wanted to take advantage of Onedrive for syncing my local documents folder, so I went into Onddrive and instructed it to back-up my Documents and Desktop to OneDrive. This took a while, but when it was done, I could not find my Documents folder on my machine. I soon realized that the name of the Documents folder had been changed back to that filename I mention earlier with the % signs in front and back.

The Desktop backup worked fine without this issue, and it's still called Desktop. The actual back-up of my Documents folder also worked fine, only it's in a file name %XXXXX% instead of Documents. I'd like to get this file name changed back, so that programs that wish to store files there can find it. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. It seems something happened with the initial OneDrive set up that is lingering. Thanks.

:)

JoeNolan1, Mar 2, 2019
  2. jmalais Win User

Altering the Documents Directory Changes the Folder Name

I set up my Documents folder location to use the D drive on my computer and now it is stuck with the folder name D:/ - however when I go into properties it says that it is Documents. How can I get it to change the folder name back to Documents?

Edit:
    Steps I took were...

1. RMB Documents (in sidebar under Quick Access)
    2. Location - Move/Change to D:/
    3. Save

Now by default any documents saved to the Documents folder will be saved to the drive D:/ (Documents) rather than in the C:/Users/

Here's a screenshot (on Windows 10).

My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive 9w9wS.jpg

jmalais, Mar 2, 2019
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Mar 2, 2019
  4. My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive

Why I have TWO Documents folders?

ok so lemme start off my saying i recently wiped my system and installed windows 10
    and i noticed even more recently that i seem to have TWO documents folders...
    i have one that has nothing that it should in it and the other somehow is linked to Onedrive...
    the onedrive linked one has everything that the non onedrive should. (game saves, etc)
    my question is...why? is this normal cause i can't imagine it is...
    i don't think steam game save cloud will work with onedrive so i need to know, is this fixable WITHOUT another wipe? i have no idea how my onedrive got synced with my documents folder. i didn't set it up that way. any help is appreciated!
    thanks!

TheMatt1984, Mar 2, 2019
Thema:

My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive

1. My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive - Similar Threads - Documents folder name

2. Change name of My Documents Folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change name of My Documents Folder.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend, this is Gavin Mathos here & using Windows 11 Version 22H2 OS. Currently If you seen the My Desktop there is a Folder "My Documents". The Name of My Documents on Desktop is shown "Gavin" while in Properties its shown as "Dell" {As shown...
  3. Change name of My Documents Folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change name of My Documents Folder.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend, this is Gavin Mathos here & using Windows 11 Version 22H2 OS. Currently If you seen the My Desktop there is a Folder "My Documents". The Name of My Documents on Desktop is shown "Gavin" while in Properties its shown as "Dell" {As shown...
  4. My User's Folder name was changed to "Document"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My User's Folder name was changed to "Document"?: My User's folder name was changed to 'Document', and I can't change it back. This folder used to be named 'Danny'. Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-users-folder-name-was-changed-to-document/dedf99df-bf1b-458a-955d-05fd10705761
  5. My User's Folder name was changed to "Document"?

My User's Folder name was changed to "Document"?: My User's folder name was changed to 'Document', and I can't change it back. This folder used to be named 'Danny'. Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-users-folder-name-was-changed-to-document/dedf99df-bf1b-458a-955d-05fd10705761
  6. The Folder Name of One of my OneDrive Folders has changed to "Documents"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Folder Name of One of my OneDrive Folders has changed to "Documents": In Windows, the name of one of my OneDrive folders is showing as Documents intead of its folder name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-folder-name-of-one-of-my-onedrive-folders-has/38637d49-dc70-4fcb-8d27-cd505f175a0d
  7. The Folder Name of One of my OneDrive Folders has changed to "Documents"

The Folder Name of One of my OneDrive Folders has changed to "Documents": In Windows, the name of one of my OneDrive folders is showing as Documents intead of its folder name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-folder-name-of-one-of-my-onedrive-folders-has/38637d49-dc70-4fcb-8d27-cd505f175a0d
  8. The Folder Name of One of my OneDrive Folders has changed to "Documents"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Documents folder name change

Documents folder name change: I accidently changed the name of the Documents folder to D: trying to redirect its location to my D:Data drive. Does anyone know how I can change it back to Documents?...
  10. I cannot change OneDrive folder name

I cannot change OneDrive folder name: Hi, I already had a folder called "OneDrive-1" under user folder and I was using it for my main OneDrive folder. So, "My Documents" and "Picture" folders are referring to this folder. The alias shows "OneDrive" and not "OneDrive-1", but now I want to change the folder name...