Windows 10: 'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix

Discus and support 'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm having real problems with shortcuts to the 'My Documents' folder after a reinstall and then trying to move My Documents, My Pictures, My Music,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RuMandolin, Dec 20, 2020.

1. 'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix

I'm having real problems with shortcuts to the 'My Documents' folder after a reinstall and then trying to move My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, Downloads etc. to a 2nd SSD drive.

I followed advice, creating new folders and trying to use 'move' in 'properties' for each tab. This wasn't possible because for some reason the shortcuts and folders had all been moved by my system to OneDrive I hadn't realised OneDrive was even enabled.

Long story short, I used regedit to restore folder data value defaults in the User Shell Folders file access was denied using 'move' in the 'locations' window, after which I was able to move the shortcuts/folders to my 2nd drive using the 'move' function in properties/location for each folder. I then uninstalled OneDrive and rebooted. All the links seemed to work and I thought everything was fine - except that the My Pictures icon was blank.

As per online advice, I therefore deleted the Shortcut cache .db file and rebooted.

Unfortunately, after this:

a The My Pictures icon still hasn't appeared on the 2nd hard drive, leading me to think there's a link issue.

b While the actual files for 'My Documents' are on the 2nd drive, the link from the Documents icon in This PC now pointed to a file in the OneDrive temp folder which I hadn't known was still there. I restored the default location in regedit, then deleted the temp files and moved My Documents to the 2nd drive again. Now the icon in My PC links to the deleted OneDrive file again, with the message: 'C:\Users\{username}\Documents is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure that the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, then try again.'

Looking at User Shell Folders see below, I can see the Personal file location is D:\Documents. However, the {F42EE2D3 ...etc.} folder location is given as C:\Users\{Username}\OneDrive\Documents.

'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix 5c825434-564e-4c7a-a794-4190da087692?upload=true.jpg

What is this entry? Is it to do with the icon? Does any one know why this keeps trying to revert to the OneDrive folder? To solve the issue, can I just manually enter a data value for the new location I want? D:\Documents. If not, is there a way to restore a default value so I can then point the icon where it needs to go?

I note that {0DDD015D ... etc. has a data value of D:\Pictures, similar to all the properly functioning folders/links. The pictures icon shows correctly in the vertical ribbon under This PC see below - just not in the icons list in the right hand pane.

'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix d81ded27-0eae-4be1-91b0-f42cfdc1418a?upload=true.jpg

Al 'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix 70b43cb3-ae02-457c-8a31-81802cbf865e?upload=true.jpg Although the icon is there in the right hand pane if I click on This PC:

Any help hugely and urgently appreciated. Many thanks!

:)

RuMandolin, Dec 20, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

It's not fixed, today my GPU-Z icon is a blank shortcut icon again..
    And it says GPU-Z.exe does not contain an icon

'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix gpu-z-blank-icon-jpg.jpg

P4-630, Dec 20, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User

Just installed the latest version of GPU-Z and I'm having that blank icon shortcut again...

P4-630, Dec 20, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix

Ok I fixed it, last time I updated GPU-Z and that gave me a blank icon, I just uninstalled my current and downloaded/installed the latest version and the icon is back.

P4-630, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix

1. 'My Documents' shortcut link broken, My Pictures icon blank, can't find a fix - Similar Threads - 'My Documents' shortcut

2. Icannot find my documents it went blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icannot find my documents it went blank: Icannot find my documents it went blank https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icannot-find-my-documents-it-went-blank/f341692d-ebf9-4ecf-9c37-99a121ec0d79
  3. Icannot find my documents it went blank

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icannot find my documents it went blank: Icannot find my documents it went blank https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icannot-find-my-documents-it-went-blank/f341692d-ebf9-4ecf-9c37-99a121ec0d79
  4. The "documents" and "pictures" shortcuts in file explorer are linking to non existent...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The "documents" and "pictures" shortcuts in file explorer are linking to non existent...: Hi,I uninstalled OneDrive. The old file path for "documents" was C:\Users\beach\OneDrive\Documents but I want it to be C:\Users\beach\Documents now.Only problem is the 'location' tab under properties has disappeared, so I don't know how to move it:I tried updating the...
  5. The "documents" and "pictures" shortcuts in file explorer are linking to non existent...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The "documents" and "pictures" shortcuts in file explorer are linking to non existent...: Hi,I uninstalled OneDrive. The old file path for "documents" was C:\Users\beach\OneDrive\Documents but I want it to be C:\Users\beach\Documents now.Only problem is the 'location' tab under properties has disappeared, so I don't know how to move it:I tried updating the...
  6. Deleting desktop shortcuts leaves a broken shortcut with a blank icon, doesn't disappear...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting desktop shortcuts leaves a broken shortcut with a blank icon, doesn't disappear...: Does anyone know what's causing this problem? If I delete a desktop shortcut it returns after the computer goes to sleep as a blank icon with the same name. If I try to delete it again file explorer will give me an error saying that it can't be found. The only way to make the...
  7. Blank Icon over all my shortcuts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Blank Icon over all my shortcuts: Hi, Yesterday I logged into onedrive for the first time. While setting up it asked me if I wanted to backup important folders like dektop, documents and stuff and I said yes. After I noticed that all my desktop shortcuts have that backup icon now I wanted to delete stop the...
  8. Desktop shortcut icons showing up as blank document icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons showing up as blank document icons?: Hi! I just got a new laptop the other day, and for some reason all of my app shortcut icons have changed to a plain white document icon. See below: [img] Why did this happen and more importantly, how do I fix it? For convenience and aesthetic purposes. iTunes is the only...
  9. Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shortcut "moved or broken" but how to find any version of the document?: I was working on 4 documents, and saving regularly on Windows 10. I saved the documents at 22.29 at night, a message came up (which I didn't read properly) I just clicked ok as I saved the last of the 4, and closed windows and shut down the laptop. In the morning the last of...
  10. All my Icons/shortcuts Are Blank

in Windows 10 Support
    All my Icons/shortcuts Are Blank: for some reason all my Icons for everything but folders have gone blank I can't seem to get them back. As well as all my file and program associations have eather reset and ask me what programs I want to use a default and when I reassign them the next time I go to open a file...