Windows 10: My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's

Discus and support My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'll first mention my system's specifications: Windows 10 Pro 1903, 64-bit (OS build: 18362.207) Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70 GHz, 4.00GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kishen.20, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Kishen.20 Win User

My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's

I'll first mention my system's specifications:

Windows 10 Pro 1903, 64-bit (OS build: 18362.207)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70 GHz, 4.00GB RAM, 500GB HDD
    HP Elitebook 8470p (Yes I'm using a laptop, it's a used/second-hand one)

My DVD/CD-ROM drive is "hp DVDRAM GT80N". It has the DVD logo printed outside of it so it should play DVD's right?

I hope this is enough; if there are any more specifications you need to know, please don't hesitate to ask!

I've rented two DVD's of movies for my viewing pleasure: Aquaman and Venom. Yet, when I insert those DVDs into my laptop, my system gets very slow, sometimes it gets too slow to recognise the DVD I've inserted. It sometimes recognises the Aquaman DVD but not the Venom one. Even if it recognises the Aquaman DVD, I can't play it. VLC media player either takes a long time (which seems like forever because it still doesn't play after like, half an hour) or it shows a 12-second video that doesn't play either. I can't play Venom because my laptop couldn't recognise the DVD at all. EDIT: There are sounds coming from the DVD drive when I insert my DVDs though, sometimes loud, sometimes soft, sometimes no sound (which may come back).

I tried uninstalling the DVD/CD-ROM drive using Device Manager and then restarting my laptop to reinstall drivers, but that doesn't work. I thought it could be a region code issue, so I set my DVD drive (which had no region code to it before this) to Malaysia, where I am, so region 3. My DVD's are for Region 3 as well. But that doesn't work too.

I tried inserting an Audio CD from a textbook and it works well, I can play all the audio with clarity. Yet I couldn't play my DVD's. My laptop is the only device that could play DVD's. I have no separate DVD player. Someone please help my before I'm due to return my DVD's next week. Thank you so much in advance.

:)

Kishen.20, Jul 10, 2019

2. DVD/CD Drive Saying CD-Rom

My Dvd drive is listed in my device manager however it is set as cd rom in the description, it also wont open and is not set as my default drive, any suggestions?

windows 10 if that changes anything

LukeRobson, Jul 10, 2019
  3. Jelu Cal Win User
    CD/DVD Rom isn't playing

Hi,

Your concern about the CD/DVD ROM (Read-only memory) drive of your device can be due to software (device driver) and/or hardware issues. To better understand your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• The last activities performed on your device prior to your concern.
    • If you've experienced your concern on any CD or DVD.
    • If you're able to see the CD/DVD drive in File Explorer.
    • The version and build of Windows 10 that you're using in your device. To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this

link

In the meantime, we'd recommend checking this
    link
    to know more about the steps in resolving CD/DVD drive issues.

Note: The steps are posted under the Resolution section of the link.

We look forward to your response.

Jelu Cal, Jul 10, 2019
  4. My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's

Windows DVD Player installed in Windows 10 but not recognizing DVD to play

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

The DVD Player app only supports the following:

a. DVDs from a file backup is not supported, the app currently only plays DVD movies on optical discs.

b. The App will only play DVD's not Blu-ray discs.

If you satisfy both the categories, I would suggest you follow the steps below and see if it helps:

Update DVD/CD-ROM drives from Device Manager.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Update.
    If this does not work you might have to Uninstall and then reinstall your drivers in compatibility mode.

Follow the steps to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.

• Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

• Double-click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

• In Properties, go to Drivers Tab and click on Uninstall.

• Reinstall your audio driver from Manufacturer's Website in Compatibility mode.

• Restart your system
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's

1. My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's - Similar Threads - DVD ROM drive

2. CD/DVD Rom

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Rom: On My Windows 10 Dell Computer My CD/DVD Don't Work No CD's Or DVD's Will Play Is There A Driver Missing What Can Be The Problem ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-rom/6e54509b-68b3-4134-aa08-365459368b93
  3. CD/DVD Rom

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD/DVD Rom: On My Windows 10 Dell Computer My CD/DVD Don't Work No CD's Or DVD's Will Play Is There A Driver Missing What Can Be The Problem ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-rom/6e54509b-68b3-4134-aa08-365459368b93
  4. dvd/cd-rom

dvd/cd-rom: Ever since 2/4/21 I have not been able to use my disc drive. Says operating normal but it wont open and I can hear it spinning. Have got a lot of error codes,,,, 2, 7023, 642, 257, 7030,215, 318,10010, 1534, 10002,...
  5. DVD/CD-ROM

DVD/CD-ROM: windows 10 does not find my DVD/CD-ROM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom/2ea72ae2-a716-44c5-86f7-a654e1dd0074
  6. DVD/CD-ROM drive

DVD/CD-ROM drive: After Win 10 ran update on 31 May 2020, my DVD/CD-ROM drive disappeared from My PC devices. It runs if I insert a disc, but it doesn't play. Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged. Code 19...
  7. DVD/CD Rom Drive

DVD/CD Rom Drive: I have a game on a DVD in my DVD ROM Drive & want to transfer the game to my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom-drive/4534f767-eea6-4a7f-8bd2-379797ff54ec
  8. DVD/CD ROM

DVD/CD ROM: my DVD/CD ROM missing some drives doesn't read blank discs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-rom/cf6ec6ea-3c4d-4f3f-889c-c1abe759469a
  9. dvd/cd rom drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    dvd/cd rom drive: I cannot get my dvd/cd rom drive to work. I have a HP Pavilion 23-q014ld all in one computer. It says all of my drivers are up to date. I tried the pin hole to manually open the door and that doesn't work. I tried all of the steps of deleting and reloading the driver and...
  10. DVD/CD rom

DVD/CD rom: My DVD/CD player is constantly running. I have hundreds of irreplaceable pictures on it and I'm afraid to eject the DVD for fear of losing all these pictures. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvdcd-rom/dc8fdc32-ac8b-4d00-8a14-953fe64eb3f6