Windows 10: My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10

Discus and support My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just fully reformatted my SSD for a completely fresh installation of Windows 10. I unplugged the slave drive before the reformat just so Windows did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RickyTimothy, May 11, 2020.

1. My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10

Just fully reformatted my SSD for a completely fresh installation of Windows 10. I unplugged the slave drive before the reformat just so Windows did not write any boot files to my D drive, I've had broken installations like that in the past. After installing drivers and turning off computer I plugged my 2 TB slave drive back in. Now for some reason the entire drive is read-only and I can't do anything to it.

In the security tab of the local disk I gave full control permissions to all users, still I can't write anything to the drive, what gives?

:)

RickyTimothy, May 11, 2020
  2. Komengem Win User

Windows 10 Slave Drive not Showing

My computer is fitted with a slave drive and i have a lot of files on it. I just noticed that my slave drive has disappeared and i cannot access it anymore. I went to Disk Management and this is what i see:

My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10 U2wZH.png

From this it looks like Windows wants me to initialize the disk. If i do initialize, does it matter which option i pick? Will initializing my disk reformat the disk and lose all my files?

If i cancel the Initialize Disk window and follow the recommendation on this thread: Suggestion from another website, will it reformat my disk and lose all my files?

Komengem, May 11, 2020
  3. lbeck Win User
    How do I reformat entire computer?

According to instructions

• Save the downloaded file to the hard drive.
    • Insert a USB flash drive that can be erased with a size of 8-32 GB.
    • Then run the file that was saved from the hard drive.
    • Select the option to Create Installation Media:
    • and let the program create an installation USB flash drive for you:
    What I did and results

• Tried the above approach
    • Downloaded MediaCreationTool1809.exe to my hard drive
    • Got a return message after "Creating Windows 10 Media" completed (took maybe an hour) that something went wrong. (see screenshot)
    • Checked the contents of the USB drive and got the message that it needs to be reformatted (see screenshot)
    • Tried the routine again after formatting the USB drive and got the same result and error messages.
      My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10 [​IMG]

My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10 [​IMG]

lbeck, May 11, 2020
  4. Ramon Imp Win User

My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10

Reformatting the c drive

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, we would like to know the following:

• What the exact error message that you're getting when you try to reformat your C: drive?
    • Why do you want to reformat your your C: drive?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue?
    • Did you make any significant changes to your computer prior to the issue?

We look forward to your reply.

Ramon Imp, May 11, 2020
Thema:

My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10

1. My entire slave drive is read-only after reformatting Windows 10 - Similar Threads - entire slave drive

2. Trying to reformat my windows drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to reformat my windows drive.: About a year and a 1/2 ago I wiped my computer. But while doing so, my C drive was 1 TB and it got formatted into 400 GB. I just wiped my computer again. And I'm trying to make my c drive back to A Terabyte. No matter what I do I can't wipe it or reformat it. And I don't know...
  3. After windows update - All drives are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    After windows update - All drives are read only: I don't know how my computer is even running correctly, but every time I try to create a new folder, etc, it is read only. I have tried to change permissions but it isn't working. Is there some tool that just resets drive permissions to the way they are supposed to be?...
  4. bitlocker not encrypting slave drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker not encrypting slave drive: Hello, I installed bit locker on Windows 10 after upgrading to professional. I do not have a TMP and I setup bit locker to work without. Everything worked without problem. However, bit locker does not see my internal slave hard drive or my external WDD Book. Bit locker can...
  5. reformatting my hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reformatting my hard drive: Previous old answers to this question did not answer how to format and wipe a hard drive in order to completely reload a PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reformatting-my-hard-drive/92a215f1-7444-4a89-bca4-e11b8146e1b8
  6. BIOS slave drive problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS slave drive problem: Hi there. Having a problem at the moment that I can't sort out. I am running Windows 10 64 bit and when I run it with one SATA HDD connected to SATA1 on my ASUS motherboard and two DVD drives my BIOS displays as follows. Primary IDE Master (Pioneer DVD - RW DV) Primary IDE...
  7. BIOS slave drive problem

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS slave drive problem: Hi there. Having a problem at the moment that I can't sort out. I am running Windows 10 64 bit and when I run it with one SATA HDD connected to SATA1 on my ASUS motherboard and two DVD drives my BIOS displays as follows. Primary IDE Master (Pioneer DVD - RW DV) Primary IDE...
  8. Windows 10 reformatted my NTFS drive to be a GPT drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 reformatted my NTFS drive to be a GPT drive: This is a very weird problem. So I am just going to present what happened and see if anyone has ever heard of this. :-) I was using Windows XP. I have a Dell laptop and I am using XPx86 version. My laptop has 8GB of memory - only 4GB are being used. I had no idea, when I...
  9. Windows 10 reformats my drive without my consent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reformats my drive without my consent: How did you guys do the recovery drive function??? This is garbage!!! Okay, you first tell me that I better create one, so I plug in my backup drive with my stuff Then you tell me you need to reformat my drive before start, I click no. Why the hell are you reformatting...
  10. Drives Marked Read Only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drives Marked Read Only: I have several hard drives on my PCs; some are physical, some are partitions. In every PC I've upgraded, W10 marks these as RO. I go through the ritual of setting permissions to Full and marking RW, but occasionally a drive will revert to RO. I can't find a Take Ownership...