Windows 10: My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"?

Discus and support My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! In Control Panel, under Network Connections type Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections into the "address bar" in Control Panel,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jacob Simone, May 15, 2020.

1. My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"?

Hi! In Control Panel, under Network Connections type Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections into the "address bar" in Control Panel, I have three devices listed. One is my WiFi, one is my Ethernet, and the other is a VPN I use. Only Ethernet matters for this issue.

My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"? 1de0c82f-7ae7-4ff1-aa3c-1deb528b48be?upload=true.png

You can see in the screenshot above that the only Ethernet device I have is named "Ethernet 2". I was curious as to why it had a 2 at the end so I tried renaming it to just "Ethernet" but got an error see screenshot below.

My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"? a374bd3a-093f-4be6-ae20-2a199ae40472?upload=true.png

I've tried running 'ipconfig' in the Command Prompt but there were no devices named Ethernet. You can see in the first screenshot that Control Panel also shows no devices named Ethernet. What's preventing me from renaming the only Ethernet device on my system to "Ethernet" instead of "Ethernet 2"?

I should add that this is a relatively fresh install I think it was three days ago that I reinstalled as I screwed something up and Windows wouldn't boot.

Any help is appreciated.

:)

Jacob Simone, May 15, 2020

2. Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name

How can I verify what device has taken that name then? As I said, I've already checked all adapters and network windows. I even ran ipconfig but didn't find such a device with that name.

Is it possible to verify this via the registry?

That Same Random Guy, May 15, 2020
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Network Interface Won't Accept "Ethernet" as Name

Currently, they have it set to "Ethernet 1".

The computer already has an existing connection named Ethernet from a connection to a different modem or router or switch, or something via the ethernet adapter. The next device it connected to via an ethernet cable it named
    the connection "Ethernet 1"

Those connection names are retained and will continue to exist for eternity in the registry, unless you do a fresh clean install.

'Mike P, May 15, 2020
  4. My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"?

Intel Ethernet Driver name

Hello

Why Windows insist to keep changing my ethernet driver name? This is the name assigned by Windows; Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

Why there is "(2)"? I don't have secondary ethernet driver with same name. I have to manually adjust registry settings to fix it. I know it has no effect on my network performance but as a perfectionist it bugs me a lot.

Best regards

Kaan

Kaan Turkes, May 15, 2020
Thema:

My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"?

1. My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"? - Similar Threads - ethernet adapter named

2. Where is my ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is my ethernet adapter: I am now connected to the Internet through a Wi-Fi adapter. I used to be connected through a wired ethernet connection. When I go to Device Manager, I see under Network Adapters, Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller with a little yellow triangle. When I click on Properties, I...
  3. Domain Name not showing on Ethernet adaptor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Domain Name not showing on Ethernet adaptor: Hi All, Here's the topology. End user is authenticated via clearpass and routed through Checkpoint which performs L3 Routing and DHCP replay. AD is configured with DNS name "abc.com.sg" and DNS Server ip 5.5.5.5.When user gets authenticated, and connected to Lan, the ethernet...
  4. Ethernet Network Name

Ethernet Network Name: Today, on Windows 10 latest version, I connected to WiFi for the first time while connected to ethernet simultaneously. My ethernet connection took on the name of the wi-fi connection. So now, my ethernet connection has the same name as one of my wi fi networks. Still works...
  5. Name on my Ethernet Connection

Name on my Ethernet Connection: Under Network Connections, this is is what it says on my ethernet connection: Ethernet 118Vit24 Realtek PCle BGE Family Controller I understand how to change the name. Change "Ethernet" to anything I want. However, where did it get the 118Vit24? That is the name of...
  6. Ethernet Adapter issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Adapter issues: Win 10 Enterprise. I have onboard ethernet set to a static IP. I'm looking to run hyper-v on here for a few small VMs for a testing env and added an additional PCI 4port NIC attached. Those 4 ports are currently disconnected from the switch. I can ping from the workstation to...
  7. Ethernet Connection Display Name not showing

Ethernet Connection Display Name not showing: When I hover on the network icon in my notification area, I get the message "POOVENDHAN Internet access" but when I click on the network icon it is showing "Local Area Connection 2 No Internet", why my Ethernet name "POOVENDHAN" not getting displayed in the list even though...
  8. Change name of Ethernet connection

Change name of Ethernet connection: How do I change the Name of my Ethernet Connection? Currently it has the same name as my WiFi 2.4Ghz connection ( have a dual band router so I also have a 5Ghz connection). [img] I know how to rename my Local Area Connection: netsh interface set interface name="Local...
  9. Change the Ethernet network name

Change the Ethernet network name: Good day. Is it possible to change this name? If so, what is the exact procedure? Thank sou, Stanislav [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-ethernet-network-name/08efe2b4-3ddb-4e91-8020-310374f4fa02
  10. Ethernet shows wrong router name

Ethernet shows wrong router name: When I connect to ethernet it shows my school wifi name instead of my home wifi. It is connected to my home wifi but it just shows the wrong name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-shows-wrong-router-name/2fbd8411-aa7c-4c51-b24c-5f20858399f8