Windows 10: My experience with Win10 updates Version 1809 Build 17763.1

Discus and support My experience with Win10 updates Version 1809 Build 17763.1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I used the Media creation tool to download 1809 manually when it was available on Oct. 4, 2018. I used an 8-gigabyte flash to load the 1809 ISO. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Q-U-I-G-M-O, Oct 9, 2018.

1. My experience with Win10 updates Version 1809 Build 17763.1

I used the Media creation tool to download 1809 manually when it was available on Oct. 4, 2018. I used an 8-gigabyte flash to load the 1809 ISO. I chose to do a manual offline upgrade on a Lenovo laptop that was running 1803 version 17134.285

I first made a system image of my hard drive with a third party program (app). I also did a manual backup (by copying files to an external hard drive) of all files I wouldn’t want to lose. I then did a manual restore point with windows system restore. I had a list of 5 restore points time since 1803 had first been installed. I then turned off my third-party anti-virus but did not uninstall it. I disconnected my laptop from all internet connections. I disconnected all external peripherals.

I plugged the flash drive into a USB port and opened the flash drive with File Explorer. From there I just clicked on the setup.exe and the update launched. It asked me if I wanted to check for online updates. I declined and hit next. The upgrade process started. It took a couple of hours to run the entire update. There were at least a couple of shutdowns and restarts along the way but to be honest I wasn’t paying full attention to the process. The update completed normally and the computer booted to my lock screen with a fresh picture displayed.

I had no issue logging into my laptop.

By this time I was starting to get wind of the major problems that were being reported with this update. I had lost nothing from my Documents folder, or any other folder that I could see.

The issues I did run into were my Virtual Machines would not start after the update and some glitches with my home network although all my computers eventually showed up in the Network folder and all shares opened between my home computers. To fix the Virtual Machine issue I had to download the latest Virtual Box software update. Once that was installed my virtual machines ran fine. I also have the notification issue that some have reported with this update. The cure has been shown to be that I need to allow apps to run in the background in the privacy settings. That is an unacceptable solution for me. I will live without notifications until another solution is presented. They were working just fine in 1803.

I checked my networked printers and they printed with no issues. I checked all my browsers and they seem to be working fine. I rarely use Edge but I checked it since there have been reports of problems. It seemed to work fine. I do not use Microsoft Store at all so I do not know if there are any problems there. I have found no issues with any software on that computer. I have Microsoft office 2003 and found no issues with excel and word. That’s about all I use out of the office suite. All my third party software appears to be working. As far as I can tell no drivers were changed. I only use One Drive for a few One Note files and I do not allow anything else to be stored in the cloud. I also do no synchronization between computers. Nothing appeared to be missing or changed in my One Cloud or One Note.

I went through all of my personal settings and it appears nothing was changed using this update method. It doesn’t appear that any new partitions were created on my hard drive. Audio and Video playback still works. I checked my restore points and found all were gone, but a new restore point had been created at the point of starting the upgrade. I assume the upgrade created this restore point before actually doing the upgrade. It was not the restore point I had created before the upgrade. My manual restore point was gone and this was a later timestamp.

One thing I have noticed is that when I looked through the Windows.old folder is that there are only Microsoft programs listed in both Program Files and Program Files (x86). It appears to be all the built-in stuff My Office programs are totally absent. None of my other installed programs are there, either. Also in the Users folder, all folders are totally empty. I am showing all hidden files and there are not any. There is nothing there, period. I believe that if I was to attempt a rollback, as is, I would lose all my installed programs and all my personal data. I have no intention to test this out. I have backups of everything, but this appears to be a major flaw with this update that would lead to devastating results.

I chose to do this upgrade on my terms. As a Win10 Home user, I do not have the option to delay updates without installing Apps or messing in my registry. Due to the problems being reported, Microsoft’s own warnings, and the pulling of the update, I have not attempted to update any other Win10 computers.

I just wanted to post my experience in the hope it will help solve the issues before any more damage is done.

I have not changed my opinion. Win10 should not be used for any critical application. Never another dime Microsoft.

:)

Q-U-I-G-M-O, Oct 9, 2018

2. oct 2018 update question

Windows 10 build 17763 - Is October 2018 update having version 1809. You are saying that upgraded from 17763. If yes, you did get October 2018 update.

Windows 10 build 18252 - Windows 10 Insider Preview Build.

Vijay_Verma, Oct 9, 2018
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Ikaruga Win User

My experience with Win10 updates Version 1809 Build 17763.1

GeForce Hotfix driver 353.38 (Update: Win10 versions added)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...vers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-38/

Update: Windows 10 (international) versions below:
    Win10 - 64 bit desktop
    Win10 - 32 bit desktop
    Win10 - 64 bit notebook
    Win10 - 32 bit notebook

Ikaruga, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

My experience with Win10 updates Version 1809 Build 17763.1

1. My experience with Win10 updates Version 1809 Build 17763.1 - Similar Threads - experience Win10 updates

2. windows 10 not updating past 1809 build 17763-437

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 not updating past 1809 build 17763-437: computer is a desktop on an Ethernet connection - W10 Pro 1. Windows update window shows "*some settings are managed by your administrator." It is not a business computer and I have at least tried to change it to a home computer, but I am not sure that actually got set. It...
  3. Updates fails (Build 17763)

Updates fails (Build 17763): I've not been receiving updates for a few months now. It keeps failing. I have a 1TB M2 drive Samsung magician reports it as good. Could it be related to my key? 2019-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4495667) -Error 0x80070002...
  4. Windows 10 Education 17763 (1809)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Education 17763 (1809): Hi! My Windows 10 Laptop is running very slow. I am running Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 5025-u @ 2.00 Ghz, 2 GB AMD Radeon Graphics card and 4 GB RAM. Can anybody help me? My model is HP Notebook 14-ac153TX. I tried deleting temp. files, freeing up disk space and a fresh, clean...
  5. Shift+Restart not wotking 17763 1809

in Windows 10 Support
    Shift+Restart not wotking 17763 1809: Not sure when this started but pressing Shift+Restart no longer allows me to get to Advanced boot options for Safe Mode. I don't know if this started with the initial 1809 17763.1 FU or not but it's been awhile. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas how to fix? I don't...
  6. My Windows 10 1809 Update Experience

My Windows 10 1809 Update Experience: Decided to update from 1803 to 1809. I did my old Laptop 1st and will do my other Desktops later. WU would not offer the update so I downloaded the ISO but it failed to update. I then did a clean install and that worked. This laptop started it's life on Windows 7 Core and...
  7. Version 1809 build 18209?

Version 1809 build 18209?: Is 17763.195 the latest build for 1809? I noticed this bug where the action center tries to open from the left side for a split second. I found a post online where this is resolved in build 18267. I clicked "Check for updates" ,but it doesn't find anything. Everything I find...
  8. October 1809 build version

October 1809 build version: Hi. I need to know when the Build version 1809 and gonna be released? Ive talked to Microsoft on the phone they said 2 weeks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/october-1809-build-version/f8f1f4ee-04cc-43c6-83ab-5a7a1b330045
  9. Why my windows 10 is not updating the OS Build Version from 17134.345 to version 17763?

Why my windows 10 is not updating the OS Build Version from 17134.345 to version 17763?: I do check update and install the updates since two days. But it is not updating OS build version 17763. and updating the other features like microsoft powerpoint,excel,etc.. I am trying to apply dark mode for file explorer, But when I try with Setting -> Color and Apply...
  10. release Capslock key with Shift key in Windows 10 pro, version 1809, build 17763

in Windows 10 Customization
    release Capslock key with Shift key in Windows 10 pro, version 1809, build 17763: Since I had to look hard for it, here is the solution Press the following keys simultaneously : Windows key + i Choose "time and language" On the left, choose "language" On the right, choose "spelling, typing and keyboard settings" Scroll down to the bottom Choose...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. third party browsers not work after 1809 upgrade for win10