Windows 10: My external drive has failed and it's locked with BitLocker

Discus and support My external drive has failed and it's locked with BitLocker in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My external drive has failed mechanical problems and it's locked with BitLocker. The repair service provider is asking me for the 48 digit recovery... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BelarminoCoutinho1, Dec 19, 2020.

1. My external drive has failed and it's locked with BitLocker

My external drive has failed mechanical problems and it's locked with BitLocker. The repair service provider is asking me for the 48 digit recovery key, but, I only have the password. How can I get the 48 digit key? I also have the disk ID

:)

BelarminoCoutinho1, Dec 19, 2020

2. External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

I have a problem with my external hard drive. It appears that Bitlocker locked it without my knowledge. I have never even heard of Bitlocker before my File Explorer told me that the drive was locked by Bitlocker.

I have no password because I did not set it up. As for the recovery key, I was able to retrieve it from my Microsoft Account. However, when I used it, Windows 10 did not accept the recovery key.

How do I recover my files from my external hard drive?

Thanks,

Rob

RobPanganiban, Dec 19, 2020
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

My external drive has failed and it's locked with BitLocker

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

My external drive has failed and it's locked with BitLocker

1. My external drive has failed and it's locked with BitLocker - Similar Threads - external drive has

2. Bitlocker locked my drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker locked my drive: I have enabled Bitlocker on one of the fixed SSD drives I have on my computer and when I turned on the computer this morning, I see that the drive has been locked and it's asking me for the recovery password. I have unlocked but I would like to know what is causing Bilocker...
  3. Bitlocker locked my drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker locked my drive: I have enabled Bitlocker on one of the fixed SSD drives I have on my computer and when I turned on the computer this morning, I see that the drive has been locked and it's asking me for the recovery password. I have unlocked but I would like to know what is causing Bilocker...
  4. Bitlocker has locked my C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker has locked my C Drive: I have a laptop from my old job. That company has since gone under. I have no access to the bitlocker key as the company had set the laptop up. I have tried various system recoveries, rebooting system via the bios, trying to unlock the C drive via cmd but nothing works....
  5. Bitlocker has locked my C Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker has locked my C Drive: I have a laptop from my old job. That company has since gone under. I have no access to the bitlocker key as the company had set the laptop up. I have tried various system recoveries, rebooting system via the bios, trying to unlock the C drive via cmd but nothing works....
  6. Bitlocker has locked my C Drive

7. D Drive has been locked by bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D Drive has been locked by bitlocker: My D drive got locked by bitlocker and i don't have the recovery key or password. I have not set the bitlocker recovery key for my drive. The only recovery key I have is for my C drive on a flash drive. Can anyone help me with this....
  8. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  9. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  10. BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself: On several occasions, after removing an old drive, the drive gets locked by "Bitlocker" even though the user did not activate "Bitlocker" any solution? thx...