Windows 10: my external hard drive is not accessible. how can I open it?

Discus and support my external hard drive is not accessible. how can I open it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My external hard drive comes as F drive but is not accessible how can I fix this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sia_149, Sep 25, 2019.

1. sia_149 Win User

my external hard drive is not accessible. how can I open it?

My external hard drive comes as F drive but is not accessible how can I fix this?

:)

sia_149, Sep 25, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 25, 2019
  3. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Sep 25, 2019
  4. my external hard drive is not accessible. how can I open it?

Location is not available F:/ is not accessible. Access is denied. External hard drive

Hi,

Most of the time, when your external hard drive shows that error message, it suggests that you don’t have the privilege of accessing to the disk partition. We need to get a permit to take ownership of the drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click your hard drive, then select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then select Edit.
    • On the Owner tab, modify the ownership of the specified account.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Martin Bar, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

my external hard drive is not accessible. how can I open it?

1. my external hard drive is not accessible. how can I open it? - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  3. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  4. External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?: Hi!I’ve recently been using an external hard drive to put some files on. I left the drive on the side of my desk not plugged in for a few weeks. I have now gone to plug the drive back in and it hasn’t appeared in file explorer see photo attached. I’ve plugged it in to test on...
  5. External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?: Hi!I’ve recently been using an external hard drive to put some files on. I left the drive on the side of my desk not plugged in for a few weeks. I have now gone to plug the drive back in and it hasn’t appeared in file explorer see photo attached. I’ve plugged it in to test on...
  6. External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  8. How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?: When I try to plug my hard drive into another computer, Bitlocker pops up and asks me for a password that I never set, and I'm unable to access the hard drive. Btw, there are no recovery keys in my Microsoft Account. Is it necessary to reset my computer? If so, does it...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...