Windows 10: MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL NOT SHOW UP ANYWHERE EXCEPT DEVICE MANAGER. PLEASE HELP

Discus and support MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL NOT SHOW UP ANYWHERE EXCEPT DEVICE MANAGER. PLEASE HELP in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Yesterday my external hard drive was working fine until it just disconnected as it is a bit faulty as it is. But never had any problems it’s just the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jBossUp, Mar 26, 2020.

1. MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL NOT SHOW UP ANYWHERE EXCEPT DEVICE MANAGER. PLEASE HELP

Yesterday my external hard drive was working fine until it just disconnected as it is a bit faulty as it is. But never had any problems it’s just the wire needs moving to a specific place... but anyway it reconnected as you heard the noise it makes. But it never shown up in my pc. I’ve tried disk management and it doesn’t show up there either. The only place it shows up is in device manager and even device manager says is fine. Doesn’t need to be updated or anything... I literally was trying all day yesterday to fix this. My external has a lot of songs that I’ve worked on, on there. However if to fix it I’d need to erase it all I’m up for that. I’ve tried it in my Xbox and the hard drive was detected and asked me if I wanted to format it. I didn’t. I’m waiting to get my hands on another laptop so I can test it in there. But I’m very lost as I’ve tried so much stuff.

If anyone can help I’d very much appreciate it. Thank you

submitted by /u/jBossUp
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jBossUp, Mar 26, 2020

2. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - DE

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Mar 26, 2020
  3. seejp Win User
    external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Mar 26, 2020
  4. twynog Win User

MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL NOT SHOW UP ANYWHERE EXCEPT DEVICE MANAGER. PLEASE HELP

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL NOT SHOW UP ANYWHERE EXCEPT DEVICE MANAGER. PLEASE HELP

1. MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE WILL NOT SHOW UP ANYWHERE EXCEPT DEVICE MANAGER. PLEASE HELP - Similar Threads - EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

2. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  3. External Hard Drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  4. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hey there, So I have had a seagate external hard drive for a couple years now. I use it every day, it is a larger 5 tb drive that requires both usb and external power. STEB5000100. I have never had an issue with it popping up when I turn my pc on until the other day....
  5. My External Hard Drive Is Showing Up In Disk Management But Not Present (Migrated)

My External Hard Drive Is Showing Up In Disk Management But Not Present (Migrated): [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] Hello All, Thank you in advance for your support. I have had this 1TB IOmega HDD for like 10 years. It worked just fine until about 2016. I had recently moved and didn't really need it so it just kind of hung around the house...
  6. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  7. Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management

Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management: I have a few months old Seagate 2tb HDD that just today began to not show up in my drives in file explorer. After screwing with SATA and power cables (to no prevail). It was previously assigned a letter and didn't show any sign of failure, any help?...
  8. My 2nd hard drive shows up in device manager but does not show up in disk management.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My 2nd hard drive shows up in device manager but does not show up in disk management.: How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-2nd-hard-drive-shows-up-in-device-manager-but/20dbfc90-2335-42f1-8dee-7b1c0abd58b4"
  9. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434