Windows 10: My external hard drive won't back up my files recently

Discus and support My external hard drive won't back up my files recently in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Lenovo laptop , and I bought a Toshiba portable Hardrive less than one month ago . Recently, I keep on clicking backup in backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ElleQueen, Oct 15, 2019.

1. ElleQueen Win User

My external hard drive won't back up my files recently

Hello,

I have a Lenovo laptop , and I bought a Toshiba portable Hardrive less than one month ago .

Recently, I keep on clicking backup in backup settings, in order to back up my files to my Hard drive.

When I go to backup in settings and when I click backup , it will say backing up data and then say the last time it was actually backed up (which was less than 1 week ago) compared to stating the actual time I attempted to back it up over the past few days.

i.e I attempted to back up on Saturday, but when I click backup it will say last back up on Thursday.

Is it a problem with my laptop?

Or is it a problem with my Hardrive?

For either cause of the problem, what do I need to do?

Thank You

NB: I also use Onedrive, but I also like to use a hardrive as well

:)

ElleQueen, Oct 15, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 15, 2019
  3. saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 15, 2019
  4. My external hard drive won't back up my files recently

Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

My external hard drive won't back up my files recently

1. My external hard drive won't back up my files recently - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. No Windows back up to external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Windows back up to external hard drive?: I just downloaded Windows 11. I thought I would hate it but it is actually quite nice! I use an external hard drive for my back up and do not want to use OneDrive but even though I have read several instructions on how, my page does not have all that the others do? All I have...
  3. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  4. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  5. back up my hard drive to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up my hard drive to an external hard drive: backing up my hard drive to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-my-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive/322809a8-5ac9-408c-998d-8a2ecdcd1906
  6. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  7. backing up my pc to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    backing up my pc to external hard drive: I want to back up my PC to an external hard drive, can you advise how I do it easily or manually? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-my-pc-to-external-hard-drive/67268df7-b95b-46be-8afd-8d2d85f87e24
  8. Backing up one drive files to external hard drive

Backing up one drive files to external hard drive: For added security I like to back up my one drive files to an external hard drive. This may seem unnecessary but I like to have my files on my pc hard drive, the one drive cloud and another external hard drive. This is been working until recently when the backup app does not...
  9. trying to back up my laptop to an external hard drive

trying to back up my laptop to an external hard drive: Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\jdill\Pictures. Error:(STATUS_WAIT_2 (0x80070002)). this is the message i got while trying to create a backup img to an external hard drive. what do i do ?...
  10. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...