Windows 10: my external SSD.

Discus and support my external SSD. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i have an alienware 15r2 laptop and i am using an SSD in the usb 3.0 slot. when i put my computer to sleep last night it stopped reading the drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Liam.M, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Liam.M Win User

my external SSD.

i have an alienware 15r2 laptop and i am using an SSD in the usb 3.0 slot. when i put my computer to sleep last night it stopped reading the drive and ive done everything i possibly can to try and get the computer to read it. i have been completely unsuccessful with multiple computer restarts and using google to try and find an answer.

The SSD is a Samsung 860evo 1TB

the cable i am using is the cable at this link. https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-SATA-Adapter-External/dp/B0133F30R8/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YJNF2GE7FMA030SPCSYK

for those who dont want to click the link its called

StarTech.com USB C To SATA Adapter - for 2.5” SATA Drives - UASP - External Hard Drive Cable - USB Type C to SATA Adapter

I honestly cant figure out what is wrong with the computer/drive/cable. it was working excellent yesterday and ive only had it for 2 days. i put it to sleep last night and now it just wont read. any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Liam.M, Nov 29, 2018
  2. JonOff Win User

External SSD not recognized as SSD in Windows 10

Hello community!

(this topic applies to Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 equally)

my question concerns an external 240GB SSD drive connected to my laptop via an USB 3.0 port. The SSD works fine, but when using the "Optimize Drives" utility, the drive is listed as "Hard Disk Drive" under media type. As stated by almost all SSD manufacturers,
    standard defragmentation on a SSD can actually harm the SSD and over time reduce performance and life-cycle. A test revealed that the optimization for the external SSD is actually performed like on a regular HDD and the TRIM command is not used. This would
    also indicate that the regular TRIM commands issued by Windows are not applied to the external SSD drive either. Short of turning off automatic optimization, is there a way to tell Windows that this is an SSD drive and to treat it as such (regardless of
    the information provided by the disk- or case-controller) ?

See also picture attached -

Drive C: is a SanDisk SDSSDXP480GR131 SSD drive built in the laptop and recognized properly as an SSD.

Drive F: is Lite-On LMT-256M6M SSD drive attached via one of the USB3.0 ports and classified as regular HDD.

my external SSD. 4fe8f444-305d-4198-837c-34fbdc8e50d7.png

JonOff, Nov 29, 2018
  3. Is there can a external ssd drive be used as the main OS drive?

Hi Robert,

We don't recommend using an external SSD as the main OS drive. You can use an external SSD as the main OS drive, but you need to configure the BIOS of your computer for it to boot the OS from the external SSD. We suggest contacting your computer manufacturer
    for assistance on configuring the BIOS of your computer.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Martin Bar, Nov 29, 2018
  4. ramram55 Win User

my external SSD.

How do i restore windows to a new SSD from an external HDD

Agreed with pendaws.
    Step 1 using free macrium software (install it in your current PC), then clone the internal drive to your new SSD.
    Step 2, At this point the ssd should be your twin of the internal HD.
    Step 3, install the ssd to the pc. boot it up, you are in business. After you are happy with the set up. I am sure you will be. You have 2 external HD in your hands, use one to clone with macrium. If you want, every week or month use alternate one (external drive) to clone your ssd. SSD speed will definitely beats your old HD hands down. If not your SSD is not working right.

ramram55, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

my external SSD.

1. my external SSD. - Similar Threads - external SSD

2. Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data "

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data ": Hey I needed some help to to fix my external SSD without losing any data on it .Let me explain how all this started at first I wasn't able to delete any files on my external SSD so I tried every method likes changing its properties: attributes: , ownership.... in the end I...
  3. Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data "

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data ": Hey I needed some help to to fix my external SSD without losing any data on it .Let me explain how all this started at first I wasn't able to delete any files on my external SSD so I tried every method likes changing its properties: attributes: , ownership.... in the end I...
  4. Needed help to fix " unallocated external SSD without losing data "

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External SSD giving USB 2 speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External SSD giving USB 2 speeds: I have a ROG strix Arion external SSD enclosure,But when I connect it to my desktop using an Type A to Type C adapter it gets recognized as a USB 2 device,whereas when I do the same with my laptop it works and gives me the expected speed.I have a Type C+Type A USB 3 pendrive...
  6. External SSD giving USB 2 speeds

External SSD giving USB 2 speeds: I have a ROG strix Arion external SSD enclosure,But when I connect it to my desktop using an Type A to Type C adapter it gets recognized as a USB 2 device,whereas when I do the same with my laptop it works and gives me the expected speed.I have a Type C+Type A USB 3 pendrive...
  7. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  8. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i move a old windows to a external SSD: How do i move a old windows to a external SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-a-old-windows-to-a-external-ssd/86f5cb8f-03a2-4ffc-bf9f-9e2e29678a40
  9. How do i move a old windows to a external SSD

10. my external ssd won't connect in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my external ssd won't connect in explorer: Hello Everone,I need your help guys!Since I downloaded photos from my iPhone that were in HEIC format, I sent them to my external SSD, and quickly my external SSD stopped working. My external ssd E: won't connect in explorer, and is looking like this:When I plug it in, the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 canot read my external ssd

2. w10 to go on external ssd and trim