Windows 10: My external USB hard drive doesn't work in front USB ports this only happens in Windows

Discus and support My external USB hard drive doesn't work in front USB ports this only happens in Windows in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi good people of this subreddit, I'm having a weird issue since I got my new pc assembled. Whenever I plug my external USB 3.0 hard drive to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/XavierEduardo99, Sep 14, 2020.

1. My external USB hard drive doesn't work in front USB ports this only happens in Windows

Hi good people of this subreddit, I'm having a weird issue since I got my new pc assembled.

Whenever I plug my external USB 3.0 hard drive to the front USB ports in the case, nothing happens, in fact, it doesn't even show up in device manager. If I try to plug another device after this has happened, it won't be recognized also.

However, if I plug the external hard drive on the back, it works perfectly, and no further issues show.

This problem only occurs to me whenever I use Windows currently (1909), if I use Debian, Arch Linux, or any other OS, the external drive works flawlessly. (So the USB ports are OK)

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions, cause this situation is getting very annoying very fast!

Thanks for your attention and have a good day!

submitted by /u/XavierEduardo99
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/XavierEduardo99, Sep 14, 2020

2. External hard drive connected by USB port

I have this external hard drive that has been designated as F and also a removable flash drive as E. Both use USB ports and have been working. Now the computer sees neither after rebooting twice. Tried to switch the ports and drives also. Any suggestions?

VickiSchmidt, Sep 14, 2020
  3. Klaw117 Win User
    External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

I should note that one drive is a USB 3.0 external hard drive while the other is a USB 3.1 external solid state drive. Both are being plugged into only USB 3.0 ports. The two ports that don't detect the external HDD and SSD will detect regular USB thumb drives.
    No, I have not tried different cables. However, the cables and drives work fine in other USB 3.0 ports either in the back or the front.

Nothing is listed in Disk Management.

These are getting power from the USB ports. The external HDD's LED turns on but does not spin. In other ports with the same cable, it does. The external SSD lights up too but the storage doesn't seem to be detected unless plugged into another port.

As stated above, all ports are USB 3.0.

There are no errors in the Device Manager.

Based on the questions/answers being given here. It sounds like there may be a power issue with the two USB ports. Do thumb drives and external drives have different power requirements?

Klaw117, Sep 14, 2020
  4. TxRistau Win User

My external USB hard drive doesn't work in front USB ports this only happens in Windows

USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in (The last USB device you connect malfunctioned). The port does
    however still charge devices. I have attempted every fix: reloading drivers, formatting and reinstalling windows, re flashing my bios, etc. This problem originally started upon trying to update windows with the external drive.

TxRistau, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

My external USB hard drive doesn't work in front USB ports this only happens in Windows

1. My external USB hard drive doesn't work in front USB ports this only happens in Windows - Similar Threads - external USB hard

2. Front USB Ports Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Front USB Ports Not Working: Hello,The other day I was playing a game and was lagging a little more than usual, out of frustration I usually hit my lap but I slammed the top of my Desktop and instantly my keyboard, mouse and headphones stopped working, I can't remember if they stopped working entirely or...
  3. Front USB Ports Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Front USB Ports Not Working: Hello,The other day I was playing a game and was lagging a little more than usual, out of frustration I usually hit my lap but I slammed the top of my Desktop and instantly my keyboard, mouse and headphones stopped working, I can't remember if they stopped working entirely or...
  4. Front USB Ports Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

USB port only recognizes external hard drive.: One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in The last USB device you connect malfunctioned. The port does however still charge...
  6. External hard drive connected by USB port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive connected by USB port: I have this external hard drive that has been designated as F and also a removable flash drive as E. Both use USB ports and have been working. Now the computer sees neither after rebooting twice. Tried to switch the ports and drives also. Any suggestions?...
  7. Front USB not recognizing my external hard drive

Front USB not recognizing my external hard drive: For some unknown reason, both of my front USB 3.0 ports stopped recognizing my WD My Passport external hard drive. What's even more bizarre is that it works when plugged into my USB port on the back of my PC. I connected a card reader to both of my front USB ports to make...
  8. Front Usb Ports

Front Usb Ports: Hello, after my new computer setup, my front usb ports not working. One Usb 3.0 port only charging phone, but nothing else, can't move data, on other usb 3.0 port, like ant the first one even keyboard not working, but when I plug Usb, it says that device not recognized, on...
  9. USB 3.1 drive not recognised only on Front USB 3 ports but other devices are and works on...

USB 3.1 drive not recognised only on Front USB 3 ports but other devices are and works on...: Hi, suddenly since today 29 July 2018 my Apacer USB 3.1 Gen1 HDD drive is not recognised on the front USB 3 ports although other devices are and it is seen on the back USB 3 ports. It was working fine before and its just weird that all other USB devices are seen on the USB 3...
  10. Front USB ports don't work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Front USB ports don't work.: Hi, I have a problem with my frontal USB ports and mic and audio port. I have two USB ports there and only one works, also my audio and mic ports in the front dont work and when they are enabled in my PC settings, the once in back won't work either. Any suggestions what...