Windows 10: My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro

Discus and support My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Oh and I do not think that there is a corrupted partition as before each attempt at an upgrade I cloned my Windows 7 drive with Macrium Reflect and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gary, May 24, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro

Oh and I do not think that there is a corrupted partition as before each attempt at an upgrade I cloned my Windows 7 drive with Macrium Reflect and the restored it and wiped the drive first.

2. topgundcp Win User

The reason you did not have the 100MB partition is you formatted the drive before you install Win 7. If you left the drive unallocated and install Win 7 then Win 7 installation will create all partitions needed ie. include 100MB reserved partition.

topgundcp, May 26, 2015
  3. More pieces to the puzzle.
    badrobot and topgundcp gave some excellent information.

I read your post 1 again but didn't see where you removed the other drive (10125 installed). It shouldn't be an issue, but....
    your disk mgt screen shot only shows the one drive ????

My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro [​IMG]

I'm also going to step back from the System Reserved partition work, it doesn't sound as promising as it did before.

Thanks for the info re: drive corruption - I wasn't suggesting that your drive was corrupted, only noting what occurred on my and a few other member's machines. I did consider that it might be a contributor though ... if it was happening on your machine - but it is not.

I'll watch this thread to see if anyone has an epiphany, but it sounds as though you're will to wait for a release closer to Current Branch (RTM).
    As promised - drive partition information:

BIOS/MBR

Configure BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Drive Partitions
    Sample: Configure BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows Setup
    Sample: Configure BIOS/MBR-Based Hard Disk Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart
    UEFI/GPT

Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions
    Sample: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows Setup
    Sample: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart
    They're good reads but a bit more technical than the average user really needs. Windows does all of the heavy lifting, so this info is only useful if you're curious, you have different partition requirements or there an issue is caused by an install error.

Slartybart, May 26, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

The 10125 Build is on a separate drive. But it looks just the Win 7 just says windows 10

5. Gary Win User
    So All I need to do is to create a 100mg unallocated partition before Win 7?

6. Gary Win User
    I am going to try it now.*Nerd

7. Hold on, there's more to it than that. I think there's a Tutorial on cahnging teh active part over on SEvenForums. Let me see if I can find it.

If not,
    move the C: part with Minitool PW
    create the 100 MB part
    set the 100 MB part as Active
    run repair three times to move the system over to the first part.
    You'll need a repair disk or install media to run the repair.
    look.

Slartybart, May 26, 2015
  8. My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro

This is pretty good and it also shows how to put another OS on the drive
    System Reserved : Create for Dual Boot - Windows 7 Help Forums

If you're not going to slice out space for another OS (Win10) - then you only need 100 MB (not the GB described in the tut)

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times - Windows 7 Help Forums

Read through both tutorials and ask questions - it's easier even though support in a forum is slower than real-time

It might be easier to run diskpart and clean the rive (not clean all) and just install Windows 7 on the raw partition (thanks topgun).

As long as you have your image, you shouldn't have to worry about wiping the drive.

If you do a clean install of 7 - then I suggest shrinking the C; drive as much as possible (leaving room for your programs of course) and create an extended partition + logical drives. Create a 30 GB partition from the extended part for Win10 and install that on the raw / unallocated logical drive you created for win 10.

The key is raw / unallocated space for the install (select custom) - let Windows figure out what it wants to do.

There's a few more tutorials for dual booting if you want to go that route.
    Windows 10 - Dual Boot with Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Windows 10 Forums
    I suggest following step 4 - I find it easier even though step 5 mounts the ISO and installs from there.
    Booting install media gets the current OS out of the way while you install the 2nd OS.

Slartybart, May 26, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I would like to thank most of allSlartybart and everyone else in this great forum. It finally worked but was not as easy as it started out to be. I really do not like to see Blank Screens when I am upgrading something. I would like to see what MS is actually doing with my Machine. After it got to "Lets Start" , I did nothing but watch a black screen for 45 minutes. I then pressed the reset button and the Lets start started again but this time it said that my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard was not working so I had to connect a standard mouse and keyboard, remove the software from Microsoft's own key board and re install it. I would think that MS should change their update procedure so that users do not see blank screens.
    But I am finally updated and would like to thank everyone that helped me in any way. Again Kudo's to SlartyBart without whom I would still be on Windows 7! All that was required was that 100 MB partition before Windows 7.*Smile

10. Dude Win User
    Gary, it is good to hear that you now have it like you want. Great job Slarybart!

11. Glad to hear that your My Sixth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro worked *Wink
    Many members contributed to your success, the tutorials are priceless.

Please provide Microsoft feedback with your experience. It is important and either needs to be documented as a requirement or fixed before Current Branch (RTM).

I'm glad you decided to forge ahead, I had changed directions on the issue.

Thank you for your diligence and determination.

Slartybart, May 27, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Gary, I whole heartedly agree with your dislike of blank screens or screens with no activity. The installer should have a verbose mode that can be selected so it will tell you everything it is doing.

Many future Win 10 owners are going to power off and on after waiting 20 or 30 minutes with no indication anything is happening. Then they will be in the middle of an upgrade and will not be able to move forward to complete it or backward to where they started.

I believe this upgrade distribution process is going to be a nightmare and will generate lots of work for folks here on the forums and unfortunately a lot of bad feelings about Windows 10 in the general public. I'd love to be proven wrong but from what I've seen in the 10 forums I don't think I will be.

Ztruker, May 27, 2015
  13. Gary Win User

This is going to be one very busy forum in about 6 weeks or so.*Smile

14. Gary Win User
    I am having way too much trouble with Windows 10. It Blue Screens all the time so I am going back to Windows 7.

15. Wynona Win User
    Awwwwwwwwww, and after all that work! So, it looks like a clean install works best for you?

Wynona, May 27, 2015
Thema:

1. My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro - Similar Threads - Fifth Final Attempt

2. windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...: I was doing the upgrade of my laptop from windows 7 pro to windows 10. I completed the necessary procedures and reached the last part of the installation procedure. After 73% of progress, this error pops up. I cannot complete the installation of windows 10. During the final...
  3. windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...: I was doing the upgrade of my laptop from windows 7 pro to windows 10. I completed the necessary procedures and reached the last part of the installation procedure. After 73% of progress, this error pops up. I cannot complete the installation of windows 10. During the final...
  4. windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: I recently used the msi tool to update a windows 7 pro machine to windows 10 pro. It appears to have a activated the install just fine and is working? Is this install legal?...
  6. Windows 7 Pro upgrade

Windows 7 Pro upgrade: Hello .... the Laptop I'm trying to upgrade to windows 10 is giving me some problems .... when I go through the process to upgrade before the final installation it asks if I want to continue with Windows 10 Home version .... but the laptop has Windows 7 Pro. Can someone...
  7. Will Final Draft 11 require an upgrade to PRO?

Will Final Draft 11 require an upgrade to PRO?: Hi guys! I'm crazy old school and am looking to replace my beloved Sony Vaio with a Surface Laptop. A Best Buy employee has me all kinds of confused about Windows 10 S. Can anyone tell me if I'll need to upgrade to PRO in order to download Final Draft 11 and Scrivener...
  8. After 2 days, finally upgraded to windows 10 pro!

After 2 days, finally upgraded to windows 10 pro!: I was finally able to upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro after loading the default bios settings. The fail codes I had included, 80240020, 0x80246017, C1900101, and 80246010. I have a homebuilt Intel 980x with an EVGA X58 LE motherboard with 16GB of RAM. Once I...
  9. Repeated failure of attempted upgrade from Windows 7

Repeated failure of attempted upgrade from Windows 7: In the past few months I’ve upgraded three different desktop PCs and my Acer TravelMate from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with no significant problems. I’m now run into trouble trying to upgrade an Asus laptop in the same way. I’ve tried twice. The first attempt failed with the...
  10. Microsoft celebrates the fifth anniversary of Surface Pro

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft celebrates the fifth anniversary of Surface Pro: Surface Pro celebrates its fifth anniversary with a look back at its history and a special offer of $200 off the cost of the new Surface Pro over President’s Day weekend.* [img] Over the last month, I’ve spent a lot of time with the team reflecting on the last five...