Windows 10: My files have become folders with the actual file and a “$Zone.Identifier$$DATA” file in them

Discus and support My files have become folders with the actual file and a “$Zone.Identifier$$DATA” file in them in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I reinstalled windows 10 and not many of the files that I backed up have become folders. For example: File used to be "index.hmtml". Now this file has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dominique120, Feb 16, 2020.

1. My files have become folders with the actual file and a “$Zone.Identifier$$DATA” file in them

I reinstalled windows 10 and not many of the files that I backed up have become folders.

For example: File used to be "index.hmtml". Now this file has become a folder called "index html" with two files in it. The "index.hml" file I'm looking for and a file called "$Zone.Identifier$$DATA"

Why did this happen? What can I do to fix this?

I could fix it by hand but there are thousands of files. IS there a way to make a batch script to handle this?

Thank alot. I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018 and I just reinstalled from the same version.

:)

dominique120, Feb 16, 2020
  2. GSquadron Win User

Folders with zip files

I have like 30 or more folders and everyone of them has only one single zip file.
    How can I extract all zip files inside of all folders?

GSquadron, Feb 16, 2020
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Feb 16, 2020
  4. oily_17 Win User

My files have become folders with the actual file and a “$Zone.Identifier$$DATA” file in them

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

My files have become folders with the actual file and a “$Zone.Identifier$$DATA” file in them

1. My files have become folders with the actual file and a “$Zone.Identifier$$DATA” file in them - Similar Threads - files become folders

2. all my photo files have suddenly become xfivsslxy files or XKAMEJS File .xkamejs files and...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    all my photo files have suddenly become xfivsslxy files or XKAMEJS File .xkamejs files and...: all my photo files have suddenly become xfivsslxy files or XKAMEJS File .xkamejs files and I cant open them. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/all-my-photo-files-have-suddenly-become-xfivsslxy/aee9f831-4c19-4ca1-97bc-d7ea21dca976
  3. File becomes TMP File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File becomes TMP File: So I just restarted windows after my windows broke and now i'm trying to download chrome.When I do, the file just become a "TMP File" and when I download it says "Couldn't download - No permissions"...
  4. File becomes TMP File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File becomes TMP File: So I just restarted windows after my windows broke and now i'm trying to download chrome.When I do, the file just become a "TMP File" and when I download it says "Couldn't download - No permissions"...
  5. Windows Explorer - Only show folders that actually have files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer - Only show folders that actually have files: At my office, when we start a new project we create a project folder and add a predetermined set of sub-folders. However early on we only have a few files and they only get added to a few of the many folders. Is there a way in explorer to only see folders that actually have...
  6. Delete only folders and not the files in them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete only folders and not the files in them: Hi, I have a folder on my drive with many folders inside of it. I want to “empty” all of the sub folders into the main folder and delete the sub folders while keeping all files intact. Folder->subfolder->files Into Folder->files Is there a way to do this on a large scale...
  7. Certain files on my computer have become impossible to change the security settings of them

Certain files on my computer have become impossible to change the security settings of them: Basically I have a list of files where I don't even have the ability to read the permissions of the object, or display the current owner of the object. I'm the administrator of the computer and even when attempting to continue with the administrator privileges I just get "You...
  8. Files have become folders with the real file and a $Zone.Identifier$$D

in Windows 10 Support
    Files have become folders with the real file and a $Zone.Identifier$$D: I reinstalled windows 10 and not many of the files that I backed up have become folders. For example: File used to be "index.html". Now this file has become a folder called "index html" with two files in it. The "index.hml" file I'm looking for and a file called...
  9. Files becoming locked while working on them

Files becoming locked while working on them: Hello, I'm a young artist, and I use Windows 10 Home on a Dell laptop. Quite often while I'm working on art, I'll try to save it, and a notification pops up on my paint program that says "The file cannot be saved because it is locked" then it states that the file has been...
  10. Files and Folders have nothing I put in them but have this kind of stuff in them

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Files and Folders have nothing I put in them but have this kind of stuff in them: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <root><SystemConfig><DEP OverrideDEP="false" EmulateAtlThunks="false" Enable="true"/><ASLR Enable="true" OverrideForceRelocateImages="false" ForceRelocateImages="false"/><ControlFlowGuard Enable="false" OverrideStrictCFG="false"...