Windows 10: My folder's “system attribute” disappears after copying it to USB drive

Discus and support My folder's “system attribute” disappears after copying it to USB drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a "Desktop.ini" file in an specific folder. I define the folder as a system folder using CMD (attrib +s my_folder) and everything works well.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ali1379, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Ali1379 Win User

My folder's “system attribute” disappears after copying it to USB drive

I have a "Desktop.ini" file in an specific folder. I define the folder as a system folder using CMD (attrib +s my_folder) and everything works well. But when I copy the folder to a USB drive, my folder losses its "system" attribute. How can I keep the attribute when copying the folder? (I need the "Desktop.ini" file to work everywhere)

:)

Ali1379, Jul 22, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Folder attributes/customization lost on copy or move in Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update)

This is a head-scratcher for sure!

Create a folder (say, TestFolder) and at the command-line use
    attrib +r TestFolder
    or attrib +s TestFolder to set read-only or system attributes for the folder. Then in File Explorer:

Windows 10 1511
    (10586.589)

• Make a copy of the folder with attributes +R/+S on the same partition - Copy has
      same attributes set as the original
    • Make a copy of the folder with attributes +R/+S on a different partition - Copy has
      same attributes set as the original
    • Move the folder with attributes +R/+S elsewhere on the same partition - Folder still has
      same attributes set as before
    • Move the folder with attributes +R/+S to a different partition - Folder still has

Windows 10 1607 (14393.222 & Preview Build
    14936)

• Make a copy of the folder with attributes +R/+S on the same partition - Copy
      loses
      attributes of the original
    • Make a copy of the folder with attributes +R/+S on a different partition - Copy
      loses attributes of the original
    • Move the folder with attributes +R/+S elsewhere on same partition - Folder still has
    • Move the folder with attributes +R/+S to a different partition - Folder
      loses
      attributes it had before

Besides the purely puzzling nature of the change in behavior, this has direct repercussions because it means customized folders (with non-default icons for example) lose their customization on being copied/moved in Windows 10 1607. This is because for desktop.ini
    to work folders needs to have either the +R or +S attribute set.

• What is the reason for this breaking change and has it been announced anywhere?
    • How can we revert back to the behavior of Windows 10 1511 (and previous Windows versions going back to Windows 7 and probably earlier)?
    • If it is indeed a bug in Windows 10 1607 then when will it be fixed?

Update (Feb. 10, 2017): The bug finally
    seems to be fixed
    in Insider Preview build 15019 but the fix hasn't been pushed out to previous Windows 10 versions (1507/1511/1607) yet.

RobertJWin, Jul 22, 2019
  4. silkstone Win User

Disappearing folder

I've encountered a strange problem in windows 10 where I tried to delete a file in a folder, but ended up deleting the whole directory. It did so without the usual pop-up to confirm delete or say it was too big for the recycle bin. It was my Videos folder, so pretty big, but the disk allocation has also remained the same.

I've always had a problem with 'double icons' for the different user folders, including videos, and so I'm thinking it could have something to do with the whole thing, especially as now one of the two video folders has disappeared from the users folders.

The first thing i tried was 'Undo delete', but it just bought the folder back with non of the contents. Then, I went straight to Recuva, but it came up blank (there must have been over 50 videos in the folder)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as where to start looking for this disappeared folder and was hoping someone might have some suggestions?

Screenshots below:

My folder's “system attribute” disappears after copying it to USB drive upload_2017-4-1_22-11-14-png.png

silkstone, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

1. My folder's “system attribute” disappears after copying it to USB drive - Similar Threads - folder's “system attribute”

2. Empty folders disappear from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Empty folders disappear from USB Drive: Hi, Empty folders gets delete from any USB drive in the computer.If I create a folder on the drive, it gets instantly removedI can copy folders to the drive no problem, but if they are empty, they get deleted.There is no problem if the folders are not empty, then they work...
  3. Empty folders disappear from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty folders disappear from USB Drive: Hi, Empty folders gets delete from any USB drive in the computer.If I create a folder on the drive, it gets instantly removedI can copy folders to the drive no problem, but if they are empty, they get deleted.There is no problem if the folders are not empty, then they work...
  4. Empty folders disappear from USB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Folder attributes

Folder attributes: Need to be able to easily add/change attributes, e.g selecting a bunch of files and being able to say what week or semester they are in, saves having to create daunting folder structures...
  6. Date Attributes of Parent Folder based on Child Folder Attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    Date Attributes of Parent Folder based on Child Folder Attributes: Hi, Running Windows 10 ver 1909 (build 18363.1256) I am looking for a way to change Date Attributes (at the very least, the Date Created attribute) of a series of Folders. Each folder has one or more sub-folders that have a date in the Folder Name, and each of their Date...
  7. Folder attributes revert to read-only after I uncheck that attribute.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Folder attributes revert to read-only after I uncheck that attribute.: So recently I started to receive this error from a library that I use for testing our application. It says I do not have the correct permissions to create or copy files in the specified directory, which is ofcourse clarified when I right click that folder it shows...
  8. How to clear hidden and system attributes of folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to clear hidden and system attributes of folder: I tried to clear it with total commander but it did not work. I made this folder system and hidean using total commander DOS very long time ago and now it is not visible in a new cloned OS drive . - - - Updated - - - nevermind I changed view option now it is visible 175202
  9. How to Remove System Attribute from Non-System Drive

How to Remove System Attribute from Non-System Drive: First, I tried to create an System Image of my Windows 10 Desktop. I have tell you I'm Old School and have 4 Drive C: Windows (System), D: Programs, E: Data, F: Games. When I tried to use Windows 10 , Backup and Restore (Windows 7). Create a system image. When I get to the...
  10. Folder Attribution

Folder Attribution: How shall I remove the "Read Only' attribution from a folder / file in Win 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-attribution/fa83146a-1157-47ea-9f3e-71fd42f9446c"