Windows 10: My function keys are not working for the volume and the brightness level.

Discus and support My function keys are not working for the volume and the brightness level. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My function keys are not working for some reason. I usually use the volume function keys and the brightness level function keys, F3 F4 F6 F7 but none... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by lindaboo, Apr 24, 2020.

1. lindaboo Win User

My function keys are not working for the volume and the brightness level.

My function keys are not working for some reason. I usually use the volume function keys and the brightness level function keys, F3 F4 F6 F7 but none of them are working. I had this problem before, and when I asked for help I found out its because of the update. I updated everything but still not working. I need help please.

:)

lindaboo, Apr 24, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Changing brightness is no longer smooth with function keys on 1903

Hi, There's a the slider for brightness at the bottom of the Action Centre (build 1903).

If you'd be prepared to consider an alternative... how about smooth control of brightness using your scroll wheel?
    Press a key, plus scroll, and adjust your brightness.

The key and the steps are your choice.

Oh, and it can adjust volume similarly.

Works nicely on my Lenovo Thinkpad, where the Fn key steps for brightness are a bit harsh.

Volumouse (free):
    Volumouse - control the sound volume with a wheel mouse

dalchina, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, Apr 24, 2020
  4. My function keys are not working for the volume and the brightness level.

No volume bar when changing volume level and changing brightness causing lag

Hi Trawel,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

The option for brightness and volume indicator will automatically show on the Windows graphical user interface.

If you face the issue with volume and brightness indicator settings, it may have caused because you are using the ASUS system utilities. I suggest you to open the ASUS system utilities and disable the volume and brightness
    indicator and any other Windows related functionality. It is better to disable the ASUS system utility temporarily and check if it is the cause to the issue.

Please be informed that Microsoft has changed level for volume to show as
    horizontal level bar not as vertical bar in Windows 10. Click "speaker icon" on taskbar and volume level will appear.
    I hope the above information helps.

Kindly try the below steps to repair any corrupted files of Windows components and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select the
      command prompt (admin).

• Type the following commands one by one and hit Enter key.

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Sfc /scannow

Note: If you are not able to repair some files after performing SFC scan, I suggest you to refer to the point 3 “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details
    are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log”. Under the section “Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)”
    to repair the corrupted files after performing SFC scan.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

My function keys are not working for the volume and the brightness level.

1. My function keys are not working for the volume and the brightness level. - Similar Threads - function keys are

2. Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust: I recently bought a Samsung computer with Windows 11.On the top row of the keyboard are the Function keys F1, F2, F12, etc which also double as the brightness adjust, volume adjust, etc.When I press those keys by themselves, it works as the function keys F1, F2, etcHowever,...
  3. Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reverse Function Keys to default to volume/brightness adjust: I recently bought a Samsung computer with Windows 11.On the top row of the keyboard are the Function keys F1, F2, F12, etc which also double as the brightness adjust, volume adjust, etc.When I press those keys by themselves, it works as the function keys F1, F2, etcHowever,...
  4. Volume Keys, Brightness and other function keys not working Properly - ASUS ROG Laptop -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Keys, Brightness and other function keys not working Properly - ASUS ROG Laptop -...: With the past 3 WIP buils I'm facing this function keys and volume button issues in my laptop.Initially I felt like waiting for some new buils so that I don't need to report it, but even after 3 builds I'm having this issue hence reporting.Whenever I'm pressing my volume keys...
  5. Volume Keys, Brightness and other function keys not working Properly - ASUS ROG Laptop -...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Keys, Brightness and other function keys not working Properly - ASUS ROG Laptop -...: With the past 3 WIP buils I'm facing this function keys and volume button issues in my laptop.Initially I felt like waiting for some new buils so that I don't need to report it, but even after 3 builds I'm having this issue hence reporting.Whenever I'm pressing my volume keys...
  6. Volume + brightness keys aren't working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume + brightness keys aren't working: Yesterday, I found that my volume and brightness keys no longer work. One of the brightness keys changes my window to full screen and the other pulls up the inspect tab. My mute button takes me to a google chrome help screen, my increase volume button opens a search bar of...
  7. Volume and Brightness keys not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume and Brightness keys not working: I just recently got this laptop around the Holidays. I noticed a few problems with this laptop, my brightness and volume F-keys weren't working, my screen kept on exiting out to home screen, and my cursor wasn't working at times. Then, I restarted my laptop and everything...
  8. Volume and brightness keys not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume and brightness keys not working: Hi, I hope someone can help. I've only recently noticed that my sound and brightness keys/buttons don't work as they should, regardless of whether or not the function button is pressed. I am using Windows 10 Home on my very basic Lenovo laptop which is roughly 1-2 years...
  9. Does not display the volume/brightness level

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does not display the volume/brightness level: When you decrease and increase the volume or brightness of the screen on the laptop, the output does not show as here screenshot. For me, it just doesn't show. I have already tried to restart the laptop, as well as restart the file Explorer. Nothing helps... [ATTACH]...
  10. Brightness Function Keys Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness Function Keys Not Working: After updating my laptop to the April 2018 update, I lost several functions to my funtion keys, which includes Ambient light, Battery settings, Project settings, Muting microphone, and most importantly the Brightness settings. How do I fix this so I can use my function keys...