Windows 10: My graphics cards aren't supporting multiple monitors all of a sudden.

Discus and support My graphics cards aren't supporting multiple monitors all of a sudden. in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a system with a Geforce GTX 970 graphics card and a Geforce GTX 760 card, which each run 2 monitors, for a total of 4. 8 core AMD, with 32gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BrendanK, Oct 2, 2016.

1. BrendanK Win User

My graphics cards aren't supporting multiple monitors all of a sudden.

I have a system with a Geforce GTX 970 graphics card and a Geforce GTX 760 card, which each run 2 monitors, for a total of 4. 8 core AMD, with 32gb ram. Win10.
    A few days ago a plug-in for Adobe After Effects needed me to upgrade my graphics card drivers via a prompt, and I allowed it to proceed. Usually I DL direct from Nvidia. After a restart, several Adobe products (up to date through CC) began to crash on start-up.
    Upon checking, it seems the driver selected for me was not the current Nvidia 372.90. I uploaded to that, which yielded no better results. The whole system was performing fine, except the three graphics intensive Adobe apps all continued to crash on start-up. Several days of troubleshooting, with clean uninstalls, re-installs (of both Adobe and Nvidia) got me nowhere. Then yesterday, after rolling back the Nvidia drivers (with no luck) I upgraded back to the 372.90. The install went a little off, and went into a black screen with a non-responsive mouse visible.
    A hard restart brought the system on line, and showing the driver had installed. Again, no luck with the program loads, which had started the whole troubleshooting odyssey. (Many many pages looked at, with many different suggested fixes) I would have pushed my system back to a restore point before all this mess, but it couldn’t access the restore point. Possibly an indication of something being out of whack?
    My system has gone through multiple operating systems over many years, and I decided this might be a good justification to clear everything with a clean OS install. So, I bite the bullet and installed Win10 to my SSD and started with a clean slate. Windows pulled up an older graphics driver to load in, and my system went from the one screen back to multi. Next I fished out the 372.90 and began installing that. It started out fine, then dove into the black screen.
    A hard restart, and it started entering a pattern where it would work for 2 seconds then go to a black screen for a minute or so. The mouse would also go into and out of responsiveness, as if the OS was blinking on, and blinking off. The timing made it impossible to reboot in safe mode (Since fast booting and an SSD made the keyboard shortcut unworkable). After another reinstall of windows, I saw the same problem reappear when Windows auto installed a 2015 version of the Nvidia drivers.
    Finally seeing a mention of a similar problem being traced to multiple monitors, I disconnected the other three monitors connected to the system, and suddenly my system was working fine on a single monitor. I installed the 372.90 Nvidia driver, and after rebooting just to check all was perfect on the single monitor set-up. I tried hooking up one of the other monitors as a test, and when I went to detect it, my main monitor started going once again into the cycle of long black pauses. I was able to regain 1 monitor functionality by disconnecting the second monitor and rebooting, but this is a very bad situation for me.
    What might be causing my problems? I thought it was the 372.90 but even on older drivers it is not letting me work with more than one monitor now. I would have thought the clean install of windows would have cleared away any conflicting code, but no. My cards have been solid, so I didn’t think it was hardware related. I’ve been on these monitors for years without problem. What started as an error problem loading a few graphics intensive programs has now smothered my whole system.
    Do you have any ideas of a possible solution, or at least a way to diagnose the problem?

:)

BrendanK, Oct 2, 2016
  2. HairyFool Win User

Adding a second monitor to a pc using Windows 10

Windows 10 (and Windows 7 Pro) supports multiple monitors natively out of the box, you did not need any other version of Windows. Only Windows 7 Starter edition would not support dual display

In most cases the limitation is with the hardware. Not all graphics cards will support multiple displays and some motherboards will completely disable the on board graphics if an add on graphics card is installed. This prevents installing a single display
    card and installing a second monitor on the motherboard.

If the display card only has the white DVI port provided it is the DVI-I specification it will support both a DVI and VGA display at the same time using a splitter cable. Virtually all modern graphics cards support multiple monitors.

HairyFool, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Ms. Smith

All of a sudden, my computer screen has turned from white to neon pink. I have tried to change it back, but it will not change. The problem is not with my monitor or graphics card either.

Mary JSmith, Oct 2, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

NO idea , not really as I don't run AMD or Adobe but my 970 can run 4 monitors on its own ....3x DP and 1xHDMI without issues

I have the gigabyte G1 970 on 372.90 at the moment and it has run 3x 1080 DisplayPort for many years and added a 1440 res 32" in the middle instead a while back without issue.

perhaps pull the 760 and see what happens?

Kbird, Oct 5, 2016
Thema:

1. My graphics cards aren't supporting multiple monitors all of a sudden. - Similar Threads - graphics cards aren't

2. Why is my Graphics card acting weird all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Why is my Graphics card acting weird all of a sudden: i recently bought a new gaming computer. it had a core i5-7400 and an AMD Radeon rx 580 armor graphics card. It was fine, cpu was doing good, gpu, ram, etc. and i recently bought gta 5 and have been playing it a LOT. I insialled CPUID HWMonitor to monitor the temps when i...
  3. Graphics Card not supported

in Windows 10 Customization
    Graphics Card not supported: I tried changing my graphics card for other applications. But the application does not run on the graphics card. I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling the driver. Every possible thing i have tried and none worked. You guys help...
  4. Graphics card monitor problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphics card monitor problem: Hey guys i got a notebook today and i connected my monitor with hdmi cable to my notebook so i can have 2 screens. But when i unplugged hdmi cable (to bring my notebook somewhere else) and when i clicked on nvidia control panel it said that its not connected to current...
  5. Enabling graphic card without monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling graphic card without monitor: Dell XPS 8900. I disabled the integrated graphic card with device manager. Now the screen is blank when i restart and F2 and F12 doesn’t keep the spinning dots from freezing up. The F2 menu doesn’t appear anymore as it use to. The F12 menu still appears but hitting the menu...
  6. Graphic cards and monitors matching

Graphic cards and monitors matching: I am considering an upgrade of my ageing monitor. At present BenQ PD2700U is a high level contender. Problem is that my graphics card is a NVidia Quadro 600 which supports a maximum of 2560 x 1600 pixels and the PD2700U has 3840 x 2160 pixels. Going for the BenQ PD2700Q would...
  7. Graphic cards and monitors matching

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphic cards and monitors matching: I am considering an upgrade of my ageing monitor. At present BenQ PD2700U is a high level contender. Problem is that my graphics card is a NVidia Quadro 600 which supports a maximum of 2560 x 1600 pixels and the PD2700U has 3840 x 2160 pixels. Going for the BenQ PD2700Q would...
  8. usb monitors using graphics card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb monitors using graphics card: So i plan to put a gaming rig into a custom made small case and stuff and then attach a display that folds to become like a laptop like thing and i want to hook up the graphics card (GTX 1660 Ti) to my usb monitor im using instead of just using its own external card or...
  9. Graphic card or monitor problem?

Graphic card or monitor problem?: If when i retun computer from "display off" by moving cursor, my signal returns to dim or black (SOMETIMES), yes there is a signal, but there is a dim-black, or black signal, sometimes turning off and on monitor by button will result in blinking right picture and again goes...
  10. Add third monitor - graphics card?

Add third monitor - graphics card?: My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3. It does not appear to have an "on-board" vga. My graphics card is a GeForce 6600 GT. I am using both digital outputs for the two monitors present. My monitors are a pair of Asus VS228H-P I am not a gamer, but do appreciate a...