Windows 10: My hard disk failed and I can not reboot it. How to activate Windows 10 in new HD

Discus and support My hard disk failed and I can not reboot it. How to activate Windows 10 in new HD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, My hard disk failed and now it is not a bootable disk. I decide to change it for a new HD but after installing Windows 10, I do not know how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Fernandogbny, Jan 31, 2020.

1. My hard disk failed and I can not reboot it. How to activate Windows 10 in new HD

Hi,

My hard disk failed and now it is not a bootable disk.

I decide to change it for a new HD but after installing Windows 10, I do not know how to activate it.

Is there any chance to use same activation Key than in the old-crashed HD?

My laptop is an ASUS Q505UA

Thank you for your help.

Have a nice day!

:)

Fernandogbny, Jan 31, 2020

2. Windows 10 Enterprise fails to re-activate after hard disk replacement

The system is a laptop where the single hard disk failed and was replaced. Unfortunately, there was no recent, viable backup of the hard disk that could be used to restore it.

A successful clean install was made from en-gb_windows_10_business_edition_version_1803_update_jul_2018_x64_dvd_12613160.iso.

The first login used my Microsoft Work or School account but I was unable to activate it from that account.

I then created a user with my Microsoft Account (which uses the same email address) but was unable to activate it from that account either.

The laptop has a firmware-embedded activation key. It appears in the devices list for my Microsoft Account and also appears in the devices list in the Azure Active Directory which we receive as part of Office 365.

It is a commodity laptop that was supplied with Windows Home installed; upgraded to Windows Pro using Get Genuine; and upgraded to Windows Enterprise with an OS upgrade using a product key. It was regularly updated before the hard disk failure.

I had anticipated that re-activation after the hard disk replacement should have been simple!

Any pointers to where I might be going wrong? Or suggestions as to how to diagnose this? I'm a volunteer systems administrator for a Museum (non-profit / charity) and this is outside my comfort zone.

JohnConnett, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Install Windows 10 on new hard drive.

Hi Arzlo,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Please be informed that you cannot install the activated Windows 10 on to the new hard disk.

If you are replacing the hard disk then you may get Windows 10 activation errors.

If you are purchasing a new hard disk then, you may have to install genuine Windows 7 (SP1)/8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 to get Windows 10 activated.

I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER
      :
    chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 Q&A.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ppud=4

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jan 31, 2020
  4. My hard disk failed and I can not reboot it. How to activate Windows 10 in new HD

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

My hard disk failed and I can not reboot it. How to activate Windows 10 in new HD

1. My hard disk failed and I can not reboot it. How to activate Windows 10 in new HD - Similar Threads - hard disk failed

2. Hard disk has failed, will I need to buy a new Windows Liscence to install another hard disk ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard disk has failed, will I need to buy a new Windows Liscence to install another hard disk ?: My hard disk has failed on my PC, It won’t boot because of this and I have to get a replacement from my PC’s company, however they told me I can pop in any other hard drive I have laying around to use my PC in the mean time.If I go out and buy a new SSD 1TB in replacement of...
  3. activate my genuis windows on a new hard disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    activate my genuis windows on a new hard disk: i need some body to talk a live https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activate-my-genuis-windows-on-a-new-hard-disk/51cd87d1-4dde-4782-8c34-767c7bcd3989
  4. Can UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOlUME Be A Sign Of A Failing Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOlUME Be A Sign Of A Failing Hard Disk: On One Of My Windows 10 Benchmarking Computers While Testing The CPU Virtualization The Computer Randomly Crashed With UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Then I Couldn't Access Windows So I Reinstalled Then Testing It Again I Got Multiple Error Messages Saying A Disk Opeation Failed...
  5. windows activation after new hard disk installation

windows activation after new hard disk installation: i had replaced and installed a new hard disk after the old one crashed, now there appears to be a message after logging in the system " ypur windows licence will expire soon". i had downloaded a copy from microsoft and had subsequently logged into the microsoft account so...
  6. Activating Win 10 on new hard disk

Activating Win 10 on new hard disk: Hi, So I have a laptop purchased 5 yrs ago that came with Win 8. I upgraded it to Win 10. The digital license is linked to my Microsoft account. My HDD is failing now, so I'll be buying a new SSD and would like to install the Windows on it. How can I proceed to install...
  7. New hard disk how do I install/transfer my windows 10

New hard disk how do I install/transfer my windows 10: I think my hard disk is going to go. How can I put my windows 10 on to a new hard disk. I only have details of my os license etc not a disk ?...
  8. Activating Windows on a new Hard Drive Disk

Activating Windows on a new Hard Drive Disk: Recently, my computer stopped booting and I found out the HDD was busted. I got a new (blank) one and I'm gonna be installing win10 on it, but I'm worried about activating it. Will I have to buy it? I doubt I can find my original key (my computer came with windows on it from...
  9. Failing Win 10 Hard Drive .. how to reinstall Win 10 on a new HD

Failing Win 10 Hard Drive .. how to reinstall Win 10 on a new HD: Hi I have many sectors failed (1186) and 400 suspect ones according to Sentinal on my Desktop HD I am running Win 10 after upgrading from Win 7. If I buy another HD, how do I install Win10 on it as I only have the original Win 7 disc. Any help or links to follow would be...
  10. Can I save a new Windows 10 version update into my local hard disk?

Can I save a new Windows 10 version update into my local hard disk?: Hi Everyone! I have a DSL connection with a speed of 512 kbps. My existing version of Windows 10 is version 1709(Build 16299). However, while Windows was updating itself by downloading Windows 10 version 1803, it took about two days and a half to complete downloading. I...