Windows 10: My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

Discus and support My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a razer blade stealth 2016 and a 1 TB Toshiba hard-drive. I have a a couple files and some games on the hard drive. It does this disconnect,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Shrik-2, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Shrik-2 Win User

My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

I have a razer blade stealth 2016 and a 1 TB Toshiba hard-drive. I have a a couple files and some games on the hard drive. It does this disconnect, reconnect thing when in use and when not in use. It makes it extremely annoying because data gets lost if I am using a file on the drive and it disconnects. I saw another person's question that was the same, but none of the solutions helped. The only solution I didn't do was changing the hard-drive from quick disconnect to the one where you have to safe disconnect. Please help

Thank you

:)

Shrik-2, Dec 14, 2019
  2. little cat, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To stop file history using a drive, you can try the steps listed below.

Ideally, File History will save copies of your files every hour, so disconnecting and reconnecting the backup drive every hour would be a tedious task. However, if you still would like to go for it, you may try the steps listed
    below.

• Open Settings and go to Update & Security > Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Backup to a different drive
      and choose Stop using the drive to disconnect the drive.
    • Later, when you would like to reconnect, go to
      Settings
      >
      Update & security>
      Backup>
      Add a drive to reconnect the drive.

Additional Info: Use File History to backup and restore
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Dec 14, 2019
  4. My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

usb keeps disconnecting and reconnecting windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

• What is the make model of your system?
    I suggest you to Change the USB power management settings and check.

• Open Device Manager.

• Double-click the type USB to change power management settings.

• Right-click the specific device you want, and then click
      Properties.

• On the Power Management tab, change the power management settings.

I would also suggest you to refer to the suggestion by
    Ashish Sondhi from the following link and check if it helps.

USB devices keeps disconnecting/ reconnecting automatically

Also refer:

• What if a wired device isn't installed properly?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-device-isnt-installed-properly

(Note: steps in the above article applies to Windows 10 as well)

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

1. My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting - Similar Threads - hard drive keeps

2. My keyboard keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard keeps disconnecting and reconnecting: Whenener i use my PC, the keyboard will randomly not work or entirely disconnect and reconnect, the intervals vary as sometimes it will for 1-3s not work, then magically work again, and whenever it does the keyboard "shuts off" completely, and sometimes it even disconnects...
  3. My keyboard keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard keeps disconnecting and reconnecting: Whenener i use my PC, the keyboard will randomly not work or entirely disconnect and reconnect, the intervals vary as sometimes it will for 1-3s not work, then magically work again, and whenever it does the keyboard "shuts off" completely, and sometimes it even disconnects...
  4. my mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.

my mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.: hello ive had this problem for a while now and from time to time it disconnects and reconnects and its very irritating, ive already switched mouses and on my previous mouse it was much worse then when i switched to my current mouse the issue disappeared for like 2 months and...
  5. my mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.: hello ive had this problem for a while now and from time to time it disconnects and reconnects and its very irritating, ive already switched mouses and on my previous mouse it was much worse then when i switched to my current mouse the issue disappeared for like 2 months and...
  6. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...: Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected and then, about 30 seconds later, reconnected to the PC, but this time as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request...
  7. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...: Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected and then, about 30 seconds later, reconnected to the PC, but this time as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request...
  8. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

9. my mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting: hello, recently my mouse has been disconnecting for second then reconnecting. first i tried to plug it in different ports on my computer that did not work, then i tried to plug it on a different computer and the mouse stop disconnecting, so i went though control panel to...
  10. Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting: [ATTACH] Hello guys, I just connected eight 10 TB hard drives to my PC through USB 3.1. I am using the Mediasonic 8 bay enclosure found here. It's connected to the PC running Windows 10 on Asus' Z370 motherboard. When I'm copying files to the drives (3 or 4 copy...