Windows 10: My hard drive runs at 100% practically all the time. My PC is SLOW! What can I do to...

Discus and support My hard drive runs at 100% practically all the time. My PC is SLOW! What can I do to... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hard drive constantly runs at 100%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mapcheck, Jun 29, 2020.

1. mapcheck Win User

My hard drive runs at 100% practically all the time. My PC is SLOW! What can I do to...

Hard drive constantly runs at 100%

:)

mapcheck, Jun 29, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

hard drive is at 100% all the time

Hi andrewgetz1 ,

If you mean your hard drive is at 100% access all the time:

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)

Click on the Disk Column Header so the arrow faces down

What processes are now at the top of the processes list?

DaveM121, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Hard drive routinely jumps to 100% and is slow

Hello,

My Windows 10 PC has been really slow. I remember it being like this for a while, even back when I had Windows 7. I would really appreciate your help. *Smile My Windows Version is 1909 Build 18363.836

Symptoms:

I have a 1TB Seagate ST1000DM hard drive. I noticed that often times the HDD will be at 100% usage, sometimes even with low transfer speed (e.g. less than 1 mb/s). It happens when I open a program, at bootup, and randomly as I use the computer.

When it jumps to 100%, all programs become unresponsive and slow. Programs take ages to open like my web browser, Firefox, as the hard drive thrashes before it finally opens and the HDD settles down.

Other times, the HDD usage is 0% and every open program is smooth until I open a new program. Then the HDD momentarily jumps to 100% and all programs slow down.

At bootup, everything is really sluggish. It takes forever to log in, and the log-in screen is very slow. Finally, everything settles down after at least 10 minutes I recall.

I used a program called Autorun Organizer to disable and delay some startup programs, which helped speed up boot a lot. Still, as the delayed programs open, there is slowdown.

When RAM is filling up, rising to 80% I think, the System process starts using 100% disk usage and everything becomes very slow if not unusuable.

I experimented, and the HDD jumps to 100% frequently such as when I first open programs. I opened Internet Explorer and it jumped to 100% before falling, though later it opened faster and didn't jump the HDD usage. Alarms & Clock app jumped it to 70%, and Voice Recorder jumped it to 85%.

When I opened Calculator just now, Windows Defender showed up and took 60% disk usage and I heard the HDD, but those other times the program itself takes up the disk usage.

I have Epic Games Launcher and Steam installed on my PC. I noticed that Epic Games launcher will try to auto update my games in the background, which slows down the PC.

Troubleshooting Steps:

Windows Security uses a lot of HDD at times. I decided to install BItdefender to see if Win Defender had a problem, but Bitdefender caused my HDD to slow down even more. It caused a black screen for 30 seconds at bootup before the log-in screen loaded, so I removed it.

I've tried to do some troubleshooting with my hard drive. I've checked it with SeaTools using their "Short generic" and "long generic" test, which it passed.

I've also run the SMART test which passed. In addition, CrystalDiskInfo says health is Good and so does Hard Disk Sentinel.

I ran Check Disk, which passed. I ran a full antivirus scan with Win Defender, which found nothing. I ran SFC /scannow which found some corrupt files and fixed them. I also checked Disk Defragmenter and it is good.

Running a "Random 4k" test with Crystal Disk Mark says I have 0.63 read MB/s and 0.85 write MB/s.

I read that I could disable SuperFetch, which helped a lot. Now the computer isn't constantly bogging down from HDD usage. The System process used to cause 100% disk usage, which lead me to the solution. (It still jumps up occasionally, like when I have at least 80% RAM usage.)

I did a fix for the "PCI-express firmware bug," which didn't help. I took some steps from this video:

Thoughts

I think there's a problem because the hard drive routinely jumps to 100% and slows down from normal actions or randomly slows. It happens when I open Firefox or boot up, and random Windows processes will cause it.

My computer is very old. It's custom built by a friend from 2013, and my HDD is from 2016 I think. It has 9600 power on hours and 4775 power on counts.

Could you help me decide if my hard drive has a problem and needs to be replaced? Thanks!

p.s. I hope everybody's doing okay.

My hard drive runs at 100% practically all the time. My PC is SLOW!  What can I do to... [​IMG]

My hard drive runs at 100% practically all the time. My PC is SLOW!  What can I do to... [​IMG]

pizzasRgreat, Jun 29, 2020
  4. My hard drive runs at 100% practically all the time. My PC is SLOW! What can I do to...

My hard drive is failing what do I do?

Ok, so my hard drive is over 5 years old and now its failing. I want to get an external 1tb hard drive to replace that. I need to know how to move everything into the external hard drive and make the new external hard drive the default hard drive. I need
    to know if this will boost my PC performance a lot and if I should take out the internal hard drive when im done moving all the files. I also need to know if I will need to reinstall windows again on my PC. If I get the external hard drive and move everything
    there, but keep the internal hard drive will my pc keep running slow? Please help me and ask me for more info.

Luke Pavia, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

My hard drive runs at 100% practically all the time. My PC is SLOW! What can I do to...

1. My hard drive runs at 100% practically all the time. My PC is SLOW! What can I do to... - Similar Threads - hard drive runs

2. My second hard drive is suddenly missing. What can I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My second hard drive is suddenly missing. What can I do?: Hello,I have Windows 11 installed on my laptop with two internal drives. The c: drive is an SSD with the OS installed, and the d: drive is a hard drive where I put most of my files. I switched it on today and was greeted with an error saying that locations couldn't be found,...
  3. My second hard drive is suddenly missing. What can I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My second hard drive is suddenly missing. What can I do?: Hello,I have Windows 11 installed on my laptop with two internal drives. The c: drive is an SSD with the OS installed, and the d: drive is a hard drive where I put most of my files. I switched it on today and was greeted with an error saying that locations couldn't be found,...
  4. One of my hard drive is running at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One of my hard drive is running at 100%: One of my hard drive is running at 100% all the time even at stratup. The disk doesn't have OS neither any software installed in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-of-my-hard-drive-is-running-at-100/adee78e7-5c2e-4a87-853f-a7c485553020
  5. One of my hard drive is running at 100%

One of my hard drive is running at 100%: One of my hard drive is running at 100% all the time even at stratup. The disk doesn't have OS neither any software installed in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-of-my-hard-drive-is-running-at-100/adee78e7-5c2e-4a87-853f-a7c485553020
  6. Disk Runs at 100% All the Time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Runs at 100% All the Time?: My computer runs very slow and struggles to run basic programs such as Spotify, Chrome, or Steam, especially when running multiple programs at once. It seems to be my disk, as it runs at 100% constantly and I don't know why. I've tried troubleshooting on my own, but I'm not...
  7. Disk Runs at 100% All the Time?

Disk Runs at 100% All the Time?: My computer runs very slow and struggles to run basic programs such as Spotify, Chrome, or Steam, especially when running multiple programs at once. It seems to be my disk, as it runs at 100% constantly and I don't know why. I've tried troubleshooting on my own, but I'm not...
  8. My D: drive is running at 100% and slowing down my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My D: drive is running at 100% and slowing down my computer: So I have been trying to troubleshoot, the only problem is starting up my computer takes 1h right now and opening any file related to my D: drive seems to perma freeze my computer. I checked in task manager to pin point the problem and saw that Disk 0, or my C: drive was...
  9. Hard Disk at 100% all the time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Disk at 100% all the time: Hello... My english is not that good, sorry me please. I think the problem is with Windows Update. When i start my computer it starts downloading updates, it puts the hdd at 100% of use, and makes my computer useless. I have another computer with an ssd and of course this...
  10. hard drive running 50 to 100%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    hard drive running 50 to 100%: had windows 8.1 and started to have this problem with hard drive running to 100 percent so i upgraded to windows 10 (no apps just user data) and still have same problem in task manager i look at disk performance and dont see a process that appears to me to be causing...