Windows 10: My hard drive

Discus and support My hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently looked at Disk Management on my windows 10 and it confuses me, Ive attached a screen shot of what is there. Questions and observations The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Nickynoo Win User

My hard drive

I recently looked at Disk Management on my windows 10 and it confuses me, Ive attached a screen shot of what is there.
    Questions and observations
    The SYSTEM RESERVED bit 100mb I understand as a bit of the hard disk that the computer uses - but what for?
    As for the others bits (partitions I suppose) what are they?
    I'm assuming that C: is my hard disk but why do I have two recovery partitions and the size that they are is quite big.
    These questions came up after I realised that I was running out of storage space on my hard disk, can one of the recovery partitions be deleted - if so how. What does the recovery feature actually do?

Nick

:)

Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015

2. making a USB hard drive my primary hard drive

The internal SATA connection is significantly faster than USB read/write speeds. I'm no expert so I can't say how this would slow down the OS.

laudablepus, Sep 10, 2015
  3. making a USB hard drive my primary hard drive

Hi Tristan,

About your question, i wouldn't say that it is a good idea but you can actually do it. The best thing about what you are thinking is if ever your file is been corrupted, you do have a back-up on it.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you have other concern.

Phillip Pio, Sep 10, 2015
  4. ronb Win User

My hard drive

Right click on the drive that you want to remove the files from. Click on format. Reformatting will remove all of the files from that drive. I removed the files from my recovery drive using that method.

5. Nickynoo Win User
    I tried that, a little apprehensive because format deletes files and I cant afford to lost stuff on this hard disk. Right clicking on either of the recovery partitions shows a button for help, when it is clicked it opens a webpage about the Overview of Disk Management.

Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just to put things in perspective.... even if you delete both recovery partitions and expanded your C: drive to fill the space - your free space would go from 4.38% free to 4.57% free. So... I would start thinking about a bigger hard drive or doing a lot of cleaning up of what you have on C: drive that is using so much space.

Also, only formatting the recovery partitions won't add any space to C: drive. You have to delete the partition and then extend your C: drive partition into the free space.

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2015
  7. Nickynoo Win User
    Ok but why do I have 2 recovery partitions?

Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

My hard drive

One is probably from the manufacturer of the computer, and the other was probably created by Windows 10 (or some other Windows installation in the past). The 100 MB system reserved partition either does contain, or at one time contained the files required for booting.

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2015
  9. Word Man Win User
    Did you get this Windows 10 install via an upgrade?

I expect the 450 MB one is from prior OS and the upgrade would have carved out the 481 MB one for Win 10 from the tail end of your C: drive.

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  10. Nickynoo Win User
    I was on w7 pro, joined the insider programs, got builds until now, am on the slow ring. One thing confuses me the sizes of these recovery partitions (481mb and 450mb) can this space be reclaimed and if it can how? The one recovery partition was probably originally created by the manufacturer and the other by windows 10. Does this mean that my hard disk is 100mb+464mb+481mb+450mb= 1495mb in size?

Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015
  11. Word Man Win User
    You're off by a factor of 1024 on your C: drive size: 464.75 GB

If you open an elevated (admin) cmd prompt and enter: reagentc /info , it will tell you which partition is the recovery partition being used by the active OS. I would assume the other is from prior OS and would only be needed it you rolled back the OS to the version that came from. As it is, if the 450 MB is the old one, it's not in a very convenient position to reclaim for C: drive. Again, considering that the size is roughly only 1/1024th the size of C:, is it worth it?

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  12. Nickynoo Win User
    I'm trying to understand this, Id love to be right but I'm asking because I just don't know. The sizes in mb with the recovery partitions what do they mean? if those partitions arnt really that size why is that size in there?

Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015
  13. Word Man Win User

My hard drive

They are that size: 481 MB and 450 MB. Don't let the 100% free fool you, it's a lie. Your C: drive is at 464.75 * 1024 = 475,904 MB.

Not sure why you're questioning the size of the recovery partitions?

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  14. Nickynoo Win User
    Thanks for the help. I still don't understand it, perhaps somethings arnt meant to be understood.

Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Your hard drive partitions are being shown in two different units. C: drive is in Gigabytes. 1 Gigabyte is 1024 Megabytes. The other three partitions are being shown in Megabytes. So... sticking with Gigabytes.

System reserved is 100 MB / 1024 = .098 GB (Gigabytes)
    C: Drive is 464.75 GB (Gigabytes)
    First recovery is 481 MB / 1024 = .47 GB (Gigabytes)
    2nd recovery is 450 MB / 1024 = .44 GB (Gigabytes)

Your hard drive is a total of 465.758 GB (Gigabytes) (probably sold as a 500 GB drive)

Thats why even if you reclaimed all of the space of the hard drive in the three other partitions, you would only gain 0.2% (.0002) free space.

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2015
Thema:

My hard drive

1. My hard drive - Similar Threads - hard drive

2. Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices: Toshiba Hard drive not showing up anywhere on HP 440 G7, it's a Toshiba 1 terabyte, I originally thought it was a hard drive or SATA cable but when I inut the hard drive in another computer it shows and when I place another hard drive in the computer it showsI'm currently...
  3. Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices: Toshiba Hard drive not showing up anywhere on HP 440 G7, it's a Toshiba 1 terabyte, I originally thought it was a hard drive or SATA cable but when I inut the hard drive in another computer it shows and when I place another hard drive in the computer it showsI'm currently...
  4. Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 hard drive going into green screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 hard drive going into green screen: So I had a malware infection last night. I ran a few suggested apps, and was able to get my pc back up and running. But when I booted the PC this morning, it went to the dreaded green screen. Now it won't boot, boot repair isn't working does it ever?, and there is no option...
  6. Win10 hard drive going into green screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 hard drive going into green screen: So I had a malware infection last night. I ran a few suggested apps, and was able to get my pc back up and running. But when I booted the PC this morning, it went to the dreaded green screen. Now it won't boot, boot repair isn't working does it ever?, and there is no option...
  7. Win10 hard drive going into green screen

8. How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.: So I don't have admin permissions on my current account and endless there is a way to switch admin permissions from the guest account to my other account without admin then I could do that. Here is a bit of a log from command prompt. Windows 11C:\Users\super>net user User...
  9. How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.

How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.: So I don't have admin permissions on my current account and endless there is a way to switch admin permissions from the guest account to my other account without admin then I could do that. Here is a bit of a log from command prompt. Windows 11C:\Users\super>net user User...
  10. How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall Windows 11 after replacing hard drive, if I did not make a bootable USB?: The hard drive on my son's laptop has died. I did not make a bootable USB drive for his computer. If I replace the hard drive, how can I reinstall Windows 11 without purchasing Windows again?I read that I can go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo..., select...