Windows 10: My hard drive

Discus and support My hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Thanks for the help. I still don't understand it, perhaps somethings arnt meant to be understood. No problem, guess I can't see the breakdown in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Word Man Win User

My hard drive

No problem, guess I can't see the breakdown in understanding.

450 MB in size means 450 x 1024 x 1024 = 471,859,200 Bytes (MB stands for Megabytes)
    481 MB in size means 481 x 1024 x 1024 = 504,365,056 Bytes
    464.75 GB in size means 464.75 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 499,021,512,704 Bytes (GB stands for Gigabytes)

Now I see Navy LCDR beat me to it - yes, the total bytes, after adding in the 100 MB is 500,102,594,560 which a manufacturer will sell as 500 gigabytes because they count a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes - which is of course in their favor from a common perception standpoint.

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  2. Nickynoo Win User

Wordman I agree with you - its not worth the hassle recovering that space (of the original OSes recovery partition), and I just realised that when I made that sum I mixed up gb and mb, but I'm sure you realised that.

Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015
  3. Word Man Win User
    Well I did, that's why I bolded and underlined GB. Glad you're sorted now.*Smile

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

My hard drive

Now wait a minute. This isn't making sense... How can a full recovery partition only be 481mb in size when Windows 7, 8 or 10 is over 3 gigabytes before it is installed?

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2015
  5. Nickynoo Win User
    I don't understand it either. Don't confuse me anymore please. Ive always installed the tp builds via windows update and then let the install process happen by itself. Perhaps its compressed or something.

Nickynoo, Sep 10, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    I wouldn't call them "full" recovery partitions by any means. A "standard" recovery partition (calling it that only for sake of discussion), not to be confused with a factory restore partition (like the 7-8 GB one that came on my Dell laptop), only contains the Windows Recovery Environment and can act as an agent for directing a full recovery, i.e., pointing to a system restore image (say an OEM image on another partition that may be 5-20 GB depending on manufacturer and their implementation) or other source if customized to do so.

The largest file on my 450 MB recovery partition, among the 301 MB of files contained therein, is Winre.wim, at 288.8 MB.

I got the above info specific to my recovery partition by mounting my most recent Macrium Reflect disk image and browsing the image of that partition.

Here's what the reagent.xml file looks like on my recovery partition:
    Code: <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <WindowsRE version="2.0"> <WinreBCD id="{d63b55f0-4461-11e5-ab29-87830c762365}"/> <WinreLocation path="\Recovery\WindowsRE" id="0" offset="1048576" guid="{abbb3802-a421-46ca-a68f-bf9d3d95b5ee}"/> <ImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/> <PBRImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" index="0"/> <PBRCustomImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" index="0"/> <InstallState state="1"/> <OsInstallAvailable state="0"/> <CustomImageAvailable state="0"/> <IsAutoRepairOn state="1"/> <WinREStaged state="0"/> <OperationParam path=""/> <OsBuildVersion path="10240.16384.amd64fre.th1.150709-1700"/> <OemTool state="0"/> <IsServer state="0"/> <DownlevelWinreLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/> <IsWimBoot state="0"/> <ScheduledOperation state="5"/> </WindowsRE>[/quote] You may be able to infer from
    <OsInstallAvailable state="0"/>
    <CustomImageAvailable state="0"/>
    and
    <OemTool state="0"/>

that I blew away my Dell factory restore partition and any hooks to it during my Win 10 clean install and that there has been no custom image or other means of reinstalling the OS in my Windows RE implemented (so far).

But, that's OK, the Macrium Reflect bootable PE media I have provide all the recovery capability I need.

Word Man, Sep 10, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thank you for that info, it makes sense now. When I buy a new computer, I play with factory software for a couple of days to make sure there isn't something that I can't live without. Then I make a restore USB stick or DVD if the factory software allows it (which usually gets lost within a few months). Then I nuke the hard drive and start over with a clean install of vanilla Windows. I think only 1 of my computers (my daughter's) even has a recovery partition left on it because I have the Windows installation media and I keep Macrium Reflect images stored on a NAS.

NavyLCDR, Sep 10, 2015
  8. Word Man Win User

My hard drive

Yep, same here. I have my half dozen or so cheap but reliable 8GB and 16GB USB flash drives in the little empty box I unpacked a USB3 enclosure from (for the factory HDD from my 3 month old laptop, after putting in the SSD). Vowing not to lose any of them!

Word Man, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

My hard drive

1. My hard drive - Similar Threads - hard drive

2. Computer crashed and hard drive destroyed!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashed and hard drive destroyed!!!: Couldn't uninstall copilot update and I couldn't uninstall the app ether click on terminate and it crash my whole computer my tower started to flash and beep if this app virus or burnd my hard drive Microsoft will be replacing my tower!!! Will open a law suit...
  3. Computer crashed and hard drive destroyed!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashed and hard drive destroyed!!!: Couldn't uninstall copilot update and I couldn't uninstall the app ether click on terminate and it crash my whole computer my tower started to flash and beep if this app virus or burnd my hard drive Microsoft will be replacing my tower!!! Will open a law suit...
  4. minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get minecraft to reinstall. only...

minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get minecraft to reinstall. only...: Minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get Minecraft to reinstall. only option to purchase again.microsoft account shows it was purchased in Jan, but there is no option to download or install....
  5. minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get minecraft to reinstall. only...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get minecraft to reinstall. only...: Minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get Minecraft to reinstall. only option to purchase again.microsoft account shows it was purchased in Jan, but there is no option to download or install....
  6. Hard Drive malfunction upon download of Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive malfunction upon download of Windows 11: Hello,I recently updated to windows 11 and now my TB harddrive separate from my C Drive that is internal is registered on my computer as D: but it says "No Media" and registers as being 0MB. I was wondering of any ways of fixing this problem as the device was previously...
  7. Hard Drive malfunction upon download of Windows 11

Hard Drive malfunction upon download of Windows 11: Hello,I recently updated to windows 11 and now my TB harddrive separate from my C Drive that is internal is registered on my computer as D: but it says "No Media" and registers as being 0MB. I was wondering of any ways of fixing this problem as the device was previously...
  8. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  9. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  10. HOW DO YOU STOP MICROSOFT FROM REMOTELY ACCESSING MY HARD DRIVE WITHOUT PERMISSION?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HOW DO YOU STOP MICROSOFT FROM REMOTELY ACCESSING MY HARD DRIVE WITHOUT PERMISSION?: I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO BLOCK MICROSOFT FROM ACCESSING MY HARD DRIVE BUT THEY WERE ABLE TO HACK MY PC AND READ THROUGH MY FILES AND INSTALL UPDATES WITHOUT PERMISSION. HOW DO I STOP MICROSOFT FROM BREAKING THE LAW AND USING MY PROPERTY WITHOUT MY PERMISSION? IT'S...