Windows 10: my hardware upgrade experience

Discus and support my hardware upgrade experience in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; gidday fellas. first post so bear with me decided to give myself a m/b, cpu, ram upgrade for my birthday. i5 2500k to i5 6400. nothing wrong with what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by coneman, Jan 29, 2016.

1. coneman Win User

my hardware upgrade experience

gidday fellas. first post so bear with me
    decided to give myself a m/b, cpu, ram upgrade for my birthday. i5 2500k to i5 6400. nothing wrong with what I had, just felt like an upgrade. 5Yr old system

So I change everything over and start it up. Had a little trouble to start with but I sorted that out. Installed win7 home and went online to activate. thinking it wouldn't activate because it's an oem version and I had already upgraded to win10 on previous hardware, I was waiting for the phone number to call.

Win7 activated straightaway. Upgraded to win10 and activated. Did a clean install and activated. I thought BONUS, I don't have to buy a copy of win10.

:)

coneman, Jan 29, 2016

2. Experiences with Windows 10 upgrade (with hardware)

MSE in Seven is Defender in Windows 10. They only changed names. The previous Defender which was a weak anti-spyware default in Windows 7 is not comparable.

Some prefer Panda Free or ESET which also allow unbridled performance, but so much depends on safe browsing habits that if you have them Defender is adequate with the MBAM and AdwCleaner scanners standing by in case you have a misstep.

Finally all of this is personal preference and I only offer my opinions based on what allows absolute best performance and least issues.

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like an exciting time for you.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 29, 2016
  3. jmbruni Win User
    Experiences with Windows 10 upgrade (with hardware)

Simple and succinct - I very much like it. Your suggestions seem perfect. The section where I strip the system and set it up with the install bloat in mind is key I think. I have had misgivings about MSE and it's capabilities - I seem to remember that,
    at one time, Microsoft slipped that jewel to us and whimpered something about it's function as a "second opinion" for some malwares. I recall then becoming aware that it was referred to as an Antivirus. Where I landed was in this uninformed place with MSE
    being my all-purpose backstop and loads of other goodies guarding every wire in and out of my computer...guarding primarily against each other I think. I am glad to see you suggesting the simplest solution with more robust software for the deep scrubs.

I noticed that you referred to using only MSE when the system is reinstalled as Windows 7 and later when explaining the details and anti-virus you referred to "built-in Defender" and said stay with only that. I have seen both but am unsure if they are related,
    intertwined, interchangeable, or what... Should I seek to have MSE and Defender both installed? Or are they being used interchangeably?

I have already made an ISO download and burned a Windows 10 install CD - I got the download specific to upgrading Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I don't know if the copy I made is keyed somehow to my hardware config, if so it's the old setup and I'll have to make
    another ISO and install CD.

Thank you for your most timely, thorough, and thoughtful response, I will jump into this tomorrow when my hardware arrives and, barring any disasters followed by desperate pleas for help my hardware upgrade experience ;), I will carry it through and report back here with tales of wild
    success with this Windows 10 upgrade/PC makeover completed and zip-tied.

jmbruni, Jan 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The Windows 7 activated because Microsoft didn't track product key usage very well. They would allow a certain number of online activations in a certain period of time before blocking it from online activation - even OEM product keys. There is a difference between what MS will physically allow and what violates the EULA. What the OP did was violate the EULA - but for the most part Microsoft is trusting the user to be honest.

This forum does not condone violating the EULA....so you might not want to brag about doing it so much on here.

NavyLCDR, Jan 29, 2016
Thema:

1. my hardware upgrade experience - Similar Threads - hardware upgrade experience

2. Hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hardware upgrade: How do I upgrade my motherboard and processor without disturbing windows with same liscence key?Thanks for the help in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hardware-upgrade/1e21b2a8-1175-42c0-97c6-a431863f45c2
  3. My Experience Upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Experience Upgrading to Windows 10: For those interested in upgrading to Windows 10, there is an option that may not have occurred to you. By default, your apps, managed settings, and personal files are kept when upgrading. I never could upgrade without an error when using that option. I did a search on the...
  4. My Experience Upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Experience Upgrading to Windows 10: For those interested in upgrading to Windows 10, there is an option that may not have occurred to you. By default, your apps, managed settings, and personal files are kept when upgrading. I never could upgrade without an error when using that option. I did a search on the...
  5. hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    hardware upgrade: i am planning to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and GPU and install m2 ssd in my sons gaming PC. will i need to acquire a new activation key for windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hardware-upgrade/bb344d63-5a11-4c8b-b3ec-5957d73fa67c
  6. Hardware upgrades

Hardware upgrades: I have been wanting to upgrade my CPU and motherboard, if I do this, will this interfere with my digital license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hardware-upgrades/c6aa0590-99e6-4531-826d-eceafe8d4f04
  7. Upgrading hardware

Upgrading hardware: I'm wanting to update my HDD to SSD and also increase ram too. I have no product key for windows anywhere and I can't afford to loose license. How to keep my windows safe and activated even after the change. It's not a pre-installed windows. It was updated to pro from home...
  8. Hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware upgrade: Hi I have a ASUS P8B75-M LX PLUS motherboard and am looking to upgrade the graphics card. The graphics card I'm thinking of getting is the HIS Radeon RX590 IceQX2 OC 8Gb DDR5 Will this be compatible with my board? My current specs are: Intel Core I7 3770 CPU 3.40Ghz...
  9. Upgrading Hardware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading Hardware: My desktop has a Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) motherboard, with a Intel(R) Pentium(R) G3258 @ 3.20GHz processor and 8 Gigs of ram. I want to up the computing power beyond two cores. I know the socket is LGA 1150 but what I don't know is the fastest processor the board itself can...
  10. Upgrading hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading hardware: I'm looking at getting a new cpu soon, with it I will need a new motherboard and ram too. How would I get windows 10 on to this? I assume it will not recognise my existing license.... or will it somehow update to work perfectly fine on the new hardware (yeah it's a long...