Windows 10: My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer

Discus and support My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My recently had problems which, I think, stemmed from my internal hard drive being corrupted. So I reset my PC by doing a custom windows installation.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LanceSantuyo, Mar 5, 2021.

1. My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer

My recently had problems which, I think, stemmed from my internal hard drive being corrupted. So I reset my PC by doing a custom windows installation. It now works, but now my HDD cannot be detected. Additionally, I bought a new SSD but that also cannot be detected.

The drive I can access properly is my old SSD. There is a new drive available which I think is my new SSD? but for some reason, it only shows 871 MB of space instead of 500 GB. My HDD is nowhere to be seen.

Whenever I open disk management, it asks me to initialize a drive, but it always fails due to an I/O error.

I attached a few pictures which I hope would help clarify the situation.

My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer 2b30b981-4fa0-46db-9459-a4baa11326dd?upload=true.png My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer 2899337e-5116-4beb-ade3-5227e7a8f3f6?upload=true.png My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer a8618fa8-0bec-439d-aa3a-e244d7fddffe?upload=true.png

:)

LanceSantuyo, Mar 5, 2021
  2. neilpzz Win User

Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD

One thing to do is make sure the SSD boots without the HDD connected.

It is possible that as part of the clean install to the SSD a windows.old folder is created as the install process will install updates along with the installation. This folder relates to the SSD and not the HDD windows installation.

Id you are happy the SSD boots without the HDD then go ahead and reconnected the HDD and in File Explorer start to delete the files and folders on the HDD. There will be partitions on the HDD that you will not see in File Explorer, they are visible in Disk
    Management. Removing those will only free up a small amount of space however.

neilpzz, Mar 5, 2021
  3. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Johankaan Win User

My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer

1. My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer - Similar Threads - HDD SSD are

2. How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to keep my files and games on my HDD with an SSD: I recently purchased an M.2 SSD 120GB just to be a boot drive for my Windows 10 so it's faster, but I'm not sure about how to keep my files and games on my 1TB HDD but it still has Windows 10 on it and I'm not sure on how to tackle this situation. I want to keep everything on...
  3. My SSD is detected as a HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My SSD is detected as a HDD.: So I'm trying to set up Linux to dual boot, and I go to defragment my drive. It's detected as a HDD instead of an SSD. I've tried switching to that drive in Command Prompt and running both winsat commands. However, it still shows as a HDD. Any fix for this?...
  4. File explorer function not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer function not working: Customer called today about not being able to save attachments from Outlook 2016. Pop up on save saying cannot save. So updated OS to latest build 20h2, updated office 365 and checked updated drivers etc. Still issue. Tried saveas function in word and excel, browse does not...
  5. Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD.

Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD.: My Acer Aspire 5 i5. 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD C:+1TB HDD D:+E:, Windows 10 had become laggy and unresponsive a few days back. I restarted normally and on startup it went into scanning and repair and was stuck for nearly 5 days. It fixed only my D: HDD but I lost all my data...
  6. Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 SSD via USB detected as HDD: My old Startech enclosure was dying on me and I replaced it with a Gembird enclosure (the only one I could get my hands on) USB 3.0 2.5'' enclosure, black (EE2-U3S-2) With the old enclosure, Windows identified my SSD correctly as Samsung SSD EVO 860 under Disk Drives. With...
  7. I can't Access my HDD

I can't Access my HDD: I'm pretty new to the whole computer and laptop world as this is my first one so keep that in mind. So first off I'm trying to install a new internal SSD and so I found out that I would need to clone the original SSD. So after I did that I was looking at my files and saw...
  8. Replacing my HDD with SSD?

Replacing my HDD with SSD?: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 with Windows 10. Last year I upgraded to i7-6700 and 16GB of RAM (Crucial.) Now I would like to add a SSD and 2 TB data HDD. I currently have a 1TB Hard Drive that my PC came with in June of 2016. So my question is, how do I upgrade the HDD and...
  9. Can't access NAS files in file explorer

Can't access NAS files in file explorer: Hi, I have a small home office with two computers. I decided to invest in a NAS so that the two computers have access to the same files. The newer computer, a lenovo AIO, had no problem connecting to the nas through a network switch which both computers are connected to,...
  10. File Explorer & My Libraries SSD/HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer & My Libraries SSD/HDD: Hi, I thought I had it right but now have 2 different locations for library folders and This PC (D:\ HDD). Both folders are showing D:\ storage drive but up in File Explorer but have different paths. One set was done through Settings > System > Storage The other was done...