Windows 10: My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works

Discus and support My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; For some unknown reason the HDMI connection between my laptop and my second monitor no longer works. The monitor itself is working fine, but it now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by tollbooth, Dec 8, 2016.

1. tollbooth Win User

My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works

For some unknown reason the HDMI connection between my laptop and my second monitor no longer works. The monitor itself is working fine, but it now gets no connection from my laptop. Worse, because I had set it to the #1 display, when I connect the two, the control panel and anything I had on my laptop display goes to the second. And Windows 10 doesn't have that handy "Move" feature that older Windows have, so I cannot see the control panel while both monitors are in use.

What do I do?

EDIT: I don't think this was the right forum; can a mod please move this to General Support?

:)

tollbooth, Dec 8, 2016

2. My computer no longer recognizes my TV as a second motor. When I switch the cables around, it no longer recognizes my AOC monitor..I use an HDMI cable for both.

My computer no longer recognizes my TV as a second monitor. When I switch the cables around, it no longer recognizes my AOC monitor..I use an HDMI cable for both. The second Video port is an add-on do I could have a second monitor. The HDMI port that
    doesn't seem to work, is the original with the computer. Is it bad or is it something else? I think it is something else.

Don DeHaven, Dec 8, 2016
  3. Second monitor not detected windows 10

I have been working fine with dual monitors in windows 10 on my desktop until now. The second monitor is no longer detected at all, it s a dvi connection to my amd graphics card. The main monitor which is connected by hdmi is fine. I have tested the second
    monitir by connecting it to my laptop by vga and it works fine. All drivers etc have been checked and updated. No idea what to do now?

PeterStilesXZ, Dec 8, 2016
  4. My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works

Press the Windows Log key *Start + P, then press the up arrow key and enter. You may have to do this more than once. Eventually it will switch you back to PC Screen only and everything will launch on your laptop screen. There is probably a special function key that does the same thing Fn plus an F key with a picture of a display on or above it.

Why your monitor won't work is another issue. I'd swap the cable out as the first test.

alphanumeric, Dec 9, 2016
  5. tollbooth Win User
    I just hooked up my monitor to an older laptop which runs Windows 7. The display came right up with no trouble. So the problem has to be on my Windows 10 laptop somewhere.

EDIT: And now it's working fine. lol I wonder if it was just a loose connection.

If I don't experience any more problems within the next couple of days, I'll mark this as "solved."

tollbooth, Dec 9, 2016
  6. tollbooth Win User
    The problem has returned--sort of. Here is the sequence of steps I followed:

1. No display on my second monitor, despite the fact that the HDMI cable was connecting my computer to the monitor.

2. Tried changing the *Start-P settings repeatedly. Nothing. When I set the connection to "extend," my computer clearly thinks that there is a second monitor (all the Windows icons go there--as I have it set to my #1 display), but it is completely dark.

3. Tried multiple restarts. Nothing.

4. Tried connecting it to my older laptop as described above. Worked perfectly.

5. Plugged it back into my current laptop. Works just fine now.

So clearly it's some sort of software or setting issue. Can anyone tell me how to fix this if it comes up again without having to resort to using my old laptop, in case I don't have it around?

tollbooth, May 9, 2017
  7. I don't know why its doing what its doing, or a solution to the issue?

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works

1. My HDMI connection to my second monitor no longer works - Similar Threads - HDMI connection second

2. Second monitor no longer connects

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor no longer connects: So my second monitor just will not connect thru vga after I did the latest windows update. It was working perfectly fine even while downloading the update but after installing the update and the pc resetting it no longer will connect nor will the pc detect it. I thought that...
  3. Second monitor no longer connects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor no longer connects: So my second monitor just will not connect thru vga after I did the latest windows update. It was working perfectly fine even while downloading the update but after installing the update and the pc resetting it no longer will connect nor will the pc detect it. I thought that...
  4. Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot: After restarting my computer one time, my second monitor randomly stopped working and in display settings it shows it greyed out. However, plugging my working monitor into the slot that my second monitor is in shows no signal, but updates and rollback on my display adapter...
  5. Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot: After restarting my computer one time, my second monitor randomly stopped working and in display settings it shows it greyed out. However, plugging my working monitor into the slot that my second monitor is in shows no signal, but updates and rollback on my display adapter...
  6. Monitors not working in second back HDMI slot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC: My updates are not updating for windows and this is causing my 2nd monitor to not connect to my PC. Ive tried to get a hold of an agent and no reply and nothing has worked....
  8. My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Second Monitor is not Connecting to my PC: My updates are not updating for windows and this is causing my 2nd monitor to not connect to my PC. Ive tried to get a hold of an agent and no reply and nothing has worked....
  9. HDMI, second monitor and my icons disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI, second monitor and my icons disappeared: Hi guys! Yesterday I try to do what the cool kids do and connect and extra monitor to my laptop (with an HDMI high-speed cable KPHDME2). However, I started messing around with the settings, and here we are. Specifically, my icons first expanded, then somehow overlapped, then...
  10. My s22c300 monitor not working with hdmi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My s22c300 monitor not working with hdmi: So i got this new monior that im trying to connect to my pc tower through hdmi, but its not getting detected. when i tried to connet it to my laptop, it works with VGA but not hdmi, im not sure if i have the right drivers or something, so any help would be great. im also...