Windows 10: My headphones won't work when I have my mic plugged in.

Discus and support My headphones won't work when I have my mic plugged in. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I got a new microphone so I could talk to my friends. Every time I plug it into the USB port, however, my computer recognizes the microphone as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ResarfJomes, Jan 16, 2021.

1. My headphones won't work when I have my mic plugged in.

I got a new microphone so I could talk to my friends. Every time I plug it into the USB port, however, my computer recognizes the microphone as the audio output device as well as the input device, so no sound comes out of my headphones when it's plugged in. What can I do to solve this?

:)

ResarfJomes, Jan 16, 2021

2. Mic/Headphone ports not working correctly - Acer Aspire 7745

The speakers are 'plugged in' already as it is a laptop. With no external mic, headphones or external speakers plugged in, the Sound Control Panel lists three things under 'Playback' - HDMI, 'Speakers' and 'Realtek Digital Output' - the Speakers under 'Playback' is set as the default.

Under 'Recording' with no external mic plugged in these are listed - 'Microphone', 'Line In' and 'Stereo Mix' (Disabled) - the microphone (in this case, the internal one) is set to 'Default' under 'Recording' as well.

I don't have my headset here to test an external mic right now, but with normal external headphones plugged in, there is no change to the Sound Control Panel under 'Playback' - the same three listings (HDMI, 'Speakers' and 'Realtek Digital Output') with 'Speakers' set as the Default. If I make a noise, say, play a video, I can see the sound meters move to the sound, but no sound comes out of the headphones.

Darkstrike, Jan 16, 2021
  3. BlueMoon3 Win User
    Mic not working when headphones plugged in

When I don't have headphones in, my mic works just fine. But as soon as I plug in my headphones (into the ONLY headphone jack, mind you) the mic stops working and I can't get it to work anymore. I've tried updating drivers, manually downloading and installing
    drivers, etc. another problem that i feel has to do with this is the fact that headphones aren't showing up in my playback list. I try to go to my headphone drivers, and they all give me an error 45, "This Hardware device is not connected to the computer"
    (even though it obviously is). My headphones work perfectly fine, but apparently they're registering them as speakers. If you need me to go into more detail in anything I can.

BlueMoon3, Jan 16, 2021
  4. My headphones won't work when I have my mic plugged in.

Mic/Headphone ports not working correctly - Acer Aspire 7745

Hi all,

I have an Acer Aspire 7745 that I have been trying to get the external audio ports to work correctly on since I upgraded it to Windows 10 - it was originally a Win7 machine from the factory. It's got three external audio ports:

My headphones won't work when I have my mic plugged in. [​IMG]

Win10 runs fine on it (Core i3 @ 2.27Ghz, 4GB RAM) and sound through the speakers works fine, as does the internal mic, but PLUGGING IN a mic or headphones is the issue - external plugged in mics are not picked up at all, and plugging in headphones disables the internal speakers, but no sound comes through the headphones.

I found this thread (Determine the HDA Realtek driver needed for your Audio) and was trying to follow the instructions to find the correct driver to use by looking at the 'Driver Details' lists, but I am a bit confused. When I upgraded to Win10, Windows 10 installed generic drivers for the sound card and I had the same issue - sound through speakers and internal mic was fine, but the jacks didn't work.

So, I thought I would go download some specific drivers...the latest drivers listed for audio on Acer's site for this machine are the Win7 64-bit drivers, so I installed those and, as mentioned, sound still worked fine other than the external jacks (I know the external jacks are not broken/damaged, by the way, because they used to work fine under Windows 7). When following along the list of 'special files' the aforementioned thread asks me to look for, I find both 'FMAP064.dll' from the 'FF01' 'Special Files' list...but I also see 'MaxxAudioAPO20.dll' and 'MaxxAudioEQ.dll' from the FF06 'Special Files' list...?

....so which one of those drivers do I get (FF01 or FF06)?

Where it gets even more confusing is that when I try running the Powershell script suggested in that same thread to suggest a driver, it tells me this:

My headphones won't work when I have my mic plugged in. [​IMG]

...so should I follow the Powershell script's suggestion and look for ANY new driver that has the 'hdxrt.inf' file in it? (Like the one listed here: Determine the HDA Realtek driver needed for your Audio )?

Sorry for the novel, but it's a tad bit confusing as to what driver I should be looking for...

Could anybody link me to a driver that might work?

Thanks so much in advance!

Darkstrike, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

My headphones won't work when I have my mic plugged in.

1. My headphones won't work when I have my mic plugged in. - Similar Threads - headphones won't mic

2. My headphones won’t play audio and my mic barely works when plugged into the headphones and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My headphones won’t play audio and my mic barely works when plugged into the headphones and...: I plugged my headphones into my audio only jack and it works perfect but when I plug it into the audio and mic jack it makes no sound and I have to just about scream into my mic to get it to pick anything up...
  3. My headphones won’t play audio and my mic barely works when plugged into the headphones and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My headphones won’t play audio and my mic barely works when plugged into the headphones and...: I plugged my headphones into my audio only jack and it works perfect but when I plug it into the audio and mic jack it makes no sound and I have to just about scream into my mic to get it to pick anything up...
  4. My headphones won’t play audio and my mic barely works when plugged into the headphones and...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My laptop microphone stops working when I plug in my headphones with no mic

in Windows 10 Customization
    My laptop microphone stops working when I plug in my headphones with no mic: Hello Microsoft Community,I really hope you can help me with this since I have been trying to figure it out for hours.The Problem: I have a headphone with no mic that I plug into the jack of my laptop. When I do this, my laptop keeps the output and input as Realtek Audio. In...
  6. My computer microphone stops working when I plug in my headphones with No Mic

in Windows 10 Customization
    My computer microphone stops working when I plug in my headphones with No Mic: Hello Microsoft Community,I really hope you can help me with this since I have been trying to figure it out for hours.The Problem: I have a headphone with no mic that I plug into the jack of my laptop. When I do this, my computer keeps the output and input as Realtek Audio....
  7. Headphone Jack not working when I plug in mic.

Headphone Jack not working when I plug in mic.: I have a headset with a mic that I plug into a splitter the splitter has a headphone and mic jack that are plugged into their own specific slots. They have been working fine for the past 6 months, up until as of this morning. Where only one of them function at a time. When I...
  8. Mic is only working when I plug headphones in!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mic is only working when I plug headphones in!: Hi, The microphone on my work computer is only working, when I plug the headphones into the jack. They are normal headphone and do not have any type of voice input on them. I have tried troubleshooting, but no joy. The computer can detect the microphone, and the testing...
  9. My Headphones Mic Won't Work.

My Headphones Mic Won't Work.: So, I got these new gaming headphones, and the mic on them worked fine for a while, now it won't work. I set my mic on my headphones as the input device on the computer, and it still won't work. Is there anything I can do?...
  10. Mic not working when headphones plugged in

Mic not working when headphones plugged in: When I don't have headphones in, my mic works just fine. But as soon as I plug in my headphones (into the ONLY headphone jack, mind you) the mic stops working and I can't get it to work anymore. I've tried updating drivers, manually downloading and installing drivers, etc....