Windows 10: My Icon positions keep resetting on reboot.

Discus and support My Icon positions keep resetting on reboot. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a dual monitor setup and for a while it was working fine, but now whenever I boot up my computer it resets the icons to the second monitor and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Scorpoid, Dec 11, 2019.

1. My Icon positions keep resetting on reboot.

I have a dual monitor setup and for a while it was working fine, but now whenever I boot up my computer it resets the icons to the second monitor and because the second monitor is smaller it moves the far right row to the middle of the first monitor. I know it has something to do with a setting that changed how the monitors work together. It is also setting both monitor's wallpaper (That is normally to separate pictures) to the second monitor's picture. Also all my games now default to windowed full screen instead of borderless full screen. Any ideas?

submitted by /u/Scorpoid
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Scorpoid, Dec 11, 2019

2. Icons forget size and positions on reboot.

After setting the base resolution to 125%, the screen icons seemed unaffected--until the system is rebooted. At this point, icons are reset to maximum size (only eight fit on the screen). Once icons are manually resized, (Ctrl-Scroll), they're scattered all over the screen. Set "auto-position" and they return to their correct place (left border of the primary screen). Reboot and these changes did not persist. I assume that the system thinks I'm blind.

Frankly, I think the system is not shutting down correctly (completely?) and not writing these changes to the registry until the last minute and thus not persisted.

Running a dual-monitor Lenovo Thinkpad W510.

Ideas?

William Vaughn, Dec 11, 2019
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Dec 11, 2019
  4. gdavej Win User

My Icon positions keep resetting on reboot.

Icon Positions

I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem.

I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect my display to a big screen TV, the icons move around... a familiar story. I've tried all sorts to resolve this:

1 desktopok... tried this, but it has never worked for me, and doesn't even save the current icon layout, tried with AutoArrange off, tried running as administrator, moved the exec away from the C:\ProgramFiles. Nothing works.
    2: Stardock Fences... I moved all the icons into one great big fence, but again after screen resolution change, the icons in the fence had moved around.
    3: tried exporting the icon positions in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop, then moving icons, and importing the registry entries. However, as soon as I refresh the screen, or reboot, the registry reverts to the changed positions, not the original.

This is so frustrating, why Microsoft can't solve this simple problem is beyond me. Can anybody suggest any solution that I haven't tried, other than never playing the games that change resolution.

gdavej, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

My Icon positions keep resetting on reboot.

1. My Icon positions keep resetting on reboot. - Similar Threads - Icon positions keep

2. Desktop icons reset position every once in awhile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons reset position every once in awhile: Hi,I run a 3 monitor set up and have my icons spread all among the three monitors. Every once in awhile, for no reason at all, all my icons will reset themselves onto the main screen... except the recycle bin which always stays in it's set position. It's more on an annoyance...
  3. Desktop icons reset position every once in awhile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons reset position every once in awhile: Hi,I run a 3 monitor set up and have my icons spread all among the three monitors. Every once in awhile, for no reason at all, all my icons will reset themselves onto the main screen... except the recycle bin which always stays in it's set position. It's more on an annoyance...
  4. Icon positioning?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon positioning?: Don't know if this is a new/upgrade issue, or just a setting I'm overlooking. Auto Arrange for desktop icons is OFF; align-to-grid is ON - though I can turn it off and the situation persists. Desired Outcome: for a new folder to remain WHERE I CREATE IT, instead of snapping...
  5. Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions

Desktop Icons Keep Changing Positions: Hey, I recently updated my Windows 10 to 20H2. After this, all my desktop icons keep changing position whenever I refresh or restart my laptop. What's the permanent solution to this. I have tried options offered on other Windows' discussion fora without any positive...
  6. My desktop icons keep resetting after a reboot.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My desktop icons keep resetting after a reboot.: They keep going back to the same random position. Auto-arrange icons is OFF. It is not an antivirus issue. Anyone know why? submitted by /u/itscharlie378 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8qqzq/my_desktop_icons_keep_resetting_after_a_reboot/
  7. Desktop icon positions

Desktop icon positions: Currently my desktop icons are on a fixed grid. I would like to change them back to a custom grid where I can control their position relative to each other. How do I get rid of the fixed grid?...
  8. Why the icons don't keep their position on desktop?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why the icons don't keep their position on desktop?!: They just snap to random positions every time after I unplug my secondary monitor and turn on the laptop. I spent some time organizing them yesterday, then it installed a Windows update and then it shut down. This morning when I turned it on the icons went crazy again...
  9. Icon Positions

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon Positions: I know this has been asked before, but I've never found a suitable answer, so forgive me for asking again. I'm so frustrated though by this problem. I've got a lot of icons on my Windows 10 Pro desktop, all carefully positioned. Every time I play certain games, or connect...
  10. Icons forget size and positions on reboot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons forget size and positions on reboot.: After setting the base resolution to 125%, the screen icons seemed unaffected--until the system is rebooted. At this point, icons are reset to maximum size (only eight fit on the screen). Once icons are manually resized, (Ctrl-Scroll), they're scattered all over the screen....