Windows 10: My Icons Disappeared

Discus and support My Icons Disappeared in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I like icons. I have a whole display panel dedicated to icons. I "upgraded" from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro on the 27th, and things have been relatively... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by websquad, Jul 31, 2016.

1. websquad Win User

My Icons Disappeared

I like icons. I have a whole display panel dedicated to icons. I "upgraded" from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro on the 27th, and things have been relatively smooth. However, earlier today I shut down my machine by pressing the power button (after all apparent apps were closed) and I got the normal red screen on my main monitor with the "Power Off" message (I think that is the correct wording). A few hours later I came in and powered up, and, got no icons. I tried to start up MS Outlook 2016, and all my settings were gone!

I'm using a product called Stardock Fences to help manage my icons. It is still installed, just none of the fences I designed are there.

(1) How can I recover my icons?
    (2) How can I recover my Outlook 2016?

Help !!

:)

websquad, Jul 31, 2016

2. My icon disappeared

Yeah, I had the same problem too. It's just that it's coming. I found the announcement from Microsoft today, so don't worry, friend. My Icons Disappeared :D

christrostl, Jul 31, 2016
  3. jvett01 Win User
    My icon disappeared

I had the icon until this morning. and it magically disappeared. When I try to click on in it in the task bar I get a message that it is not active . I took all the right steps and made sure I had all my updates. I got the note back saying that I
    had a reserved copy and as I went to look for the icon today it is now gone. My question is where did it go and why ? I have the updater turned on . and yesterday it said my computer was all up to date and ready . Will the icon reappear when the update
    starts to download in the back ground or am I basical SOL? Is this a major mistake by Microsoft? I can only hope that I will get it as Microsoft said that my computer was ready. I see many folks having the same problem , hopefully microsoft wont disappoint
    all of us.

jvett01, Jul 31, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

My Icons Disappeared

Hi, have you tried double clicking an empty area of your desktop? And see
    How do I get back my desktop icons in Fences?

Note: as I recall Fences was updated for Win 10. Are you using the updated version?

You should not normally switch off your PC using the power button, as there is a shutdown sequence which saves your settings etc. Only do this should your PC fail to shut down normally. You should normally click 'Shut Down'.

Suggest you also run
    chkdsk C: /F from an admin level (elevated) command prompt to check your disk. (Windows key + X, click Command prompt (admin) ).

Outlook? can't say. sorry. Do you routinely use disk imaging so you can restore your disk/partitions from an image backup without stress and within a relatively short time without tech assistance as strongly recommended here? E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage + its boot medium.

That could be indicative of further problems, hence chkdsk.

dalchina, Jul 31, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    @websquad:

You may have inadvertently created additional "pages";
    in Settings, disable "Pages" and all your Fences should land on your main display.

My Icons Disappeared [​IMG]

Edwin, Jul 31, 2016
  6. websquad Win User
    dalchina, I've been using Fences for a number of years (shortly after it came out), and the double-mouse-click is an old friend. I've been using the "Windows 7" Backup & Restore procedures available via the Control Panel via Update & Security. Is that a bad choice? I've never had a reason to "restore" from my 2T USB-3-connected disk.

Edwin -- you were right on target. I've only used these virtual displays in an Lynix environment, and frankly forgot that they were a part of Windows 10. A couple of mouse swipes and I see that this was the source of my confusion and dismay. However, in any event, I shut down last night and rebooted this morning, and there were my icons & fences. Happy Camper %^).

Thanks, guys!
    <><

websquad, Jul 31, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, great you've resolved the Fences/icons issue.. is Outlook still an issue?

Good you're using an imaging solution.. general recommendation here is 3rd party solution (freeware will do) e.g. Macrium Reflect. These offer greater reliability and much greater flexibility.

See current discussion here which references another thread on this:
    A challenge for the pro's. Can you help identify a reg key please. - Windows 10 Forums

Also note the quirk found in Macrium Reflect reported here - perhaps the first I've noted.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

My Icons Disappeared

1. My Icons Disappeared - Similar Threads - Icons Disappeared

2. How can I resolve the issue of OneDrive not syncing at all and the cloud icon disappearing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I resolve the issue of OneDrive not syncing at all and the cloud icon disappearing...: Hi Support,My OneDrive is not syncing properly. The OneDrive icon in the taskbar only appears when I manually open the drive folder, and it disappears as soon as I hover over it. I have installed the newest version of OneDrive, checked for all other related updates, and tried...
  3. How can I resolve the issue of OneDrive not syncing at all and the cloud icon disappearing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I resolve the issue of OneDrive not syncing at all and the cloud icon disappearing...: Hi Support,My OneDrive is not syncing properly. The OneDrive icon in the taskbar only appears when I manually open the drive folder, and it disappears as soon as I hover over it. I have installed the newest version of OneDrive, checked for all other related updates, and tried...
  4. How can I resolve the issue of OneDrive not syncing at all and the cloud icon disappearing...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 Taskbar Icons Disappearing Randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Taskbar Icons Disappearing Randomly: Hello, I've been encountering an issue where icons on my Windows 10 taskbar disappear randomly. It's quite frustrating as I rely on quick access to these applications. I've tried restarting Windows Explorer and unpinning and pinning the icons again, but the problem persists....
  6. Windows 10 Taskbar Icons Disappearing Randomly

Windows 10 Taskbar Icons Disappearing Randomly: Hello, I've been encountering an issue where icons on my Windows 10 taskbar disappear randomly. It's quite frustrating as I rely on quick access to these applications. I've tried restarting Windows Explorer and unpinning and pinning the icons again, but the problem persists....
  7. Windows 10 Taskbar Icons Disappearing Randomly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 11 taskbar icons disappear after switching desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar icons disappear after switching desktop: I've updated my work laptop to windows 11 recently and i see a very annoying glitch of app icons on taskbar disappearing from time to time see screenshot.The issue is reproduced when switching between desktops Ctrl + Win + Right/Left arrow or trackpad swipe with 4 fingers....
  9. Windows 11 taskbar icons disappear after switching desktop

Windows 11 taskbar icons disappear after switching desktop: I've updated my work laptop to windows 11 recently and i see a very annoying glitch of app icons on taskbar disappearing from time to time see screenshot.The issue is reproduced when switching between desktops Ctrl + Win + Right/Left arrow or trackpad swipe with 4 fingers....
  10. Windows 11 Settings Icon Disappeared

Windows 11 Settings Icon Disappeared: For some reason I remember there being an small graphical icon on side of each menu item in the settings. It has disappeared. Is this normal and any way to fix it?...