Windows 10: my internal hard-drive won't let me write on it

Discus and support my internal hard-drive won't let me write on it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was updating a game on my computer when an error message came up telling me that i could write on my D:/ drive and that i could only read off of it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aydan.D, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Aydan.D Win User

my internal hard-drive won't let me write on it

I was updating a game on my computer when an error message came up telling me that i could write on my D:/ drive and that i could only read off of it.

The drive, and windows are saying that their is no problem and the writing permissions are turned on in the security tab in the drives properties.

My PC is a costume build.

It would be a great help to know whats wrong with it.

:)

Aydan.D, Apr 7, 2019
  2. malware Win User

Seagate Extends Warranty on Maxtor Internal Hard Drives

Seagate Technology, the worldwide leader in hard disc drives and consumer storage solutions, today announced a three-year limited warranty, effective immediately, on every Maxtor branded Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit that is now shipping worldwide. Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kits are designed for users who want to replace or upgrade their internal hard drives in their PC or Mac. This move shows Seagate's continued commitment to its retail customers, giving them more storage choices, while providing best-in-class warranty protection, service and support on the world's most reliable hard drives. The new three-year limited warranty applies retroactively to all Maxtor branded Internal Hard Drive Kits in retail channel inventory, or purchased by consumers on or after October 1, 2006.

For early shoppers, a Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit is a perfect gift for that special someone who wants to upgrade their computer hard drive, giving it more capacity and the speed needed for demanding multimedia applications such as games and video. Consumers looking to upgrade to the premium version of Microsoft Windows Vista will also require more than 10GB of free hard drive space to load the operating system, and will need faster data transfer rates to obtain and enjoy a best-in-class computing experience from Microsoft.

This holiday season, digital cameras are also expected to be one of the hottest gift items according to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). With this, consumers will be shooting more and more digital photos and downloading them on to their internal computer hard drive. Topping off at 500GB, a Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit not only satisfies the needs of this storage-intensive application, but also provides ample capacity for downloading the Internet's media-rich content such as music, video, photos, files and games. With Maxtor Retail Hard Drives by Seagate, consumers can rest assured in knowing that their data is stored on a trusted and reliable hard drive.

"Whether it's an internal hard drive or a simple to use external storage and backup solution, Seagate has a product for everyone," said Jim Druckrey, senior vice president and general manager for Seagate Branded Solutions. "Our Maxtor Branded Retail Kits include an industry leading drive manufactured by Seagate, giving consumers the quality assurance and reliability the industry has come to expect from Seagate. The positive response we have received from our retail partners is a testament to their confidence in our ability to deliver products that blend value, innovative storage technology and reliability."

Maxtor Internal Hard Drive Retail Kits come in capacities up to 500GB and include components users need to install the new hard drive - mounting screws, a PATA or SATA cable and step-by-step instructions, making it easy to upgrade their PC or Mac. Maxtor Hard Drive Retail Kits are available at retailers worldwide. Suggested retail price ranges from $79.95 for 80GB to $239.95 for 500GB. For more information, please visit www.maxtorsolutions.com.

Source: Seagate

malware, Apr 7, 2019
  3. Rohit_R Win User
    The Disk Is Write Protected - How To Remove Write Protection

Hi Fernanda,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In regards to your concern, please help me with following questions:

• Is the Hard drive external or internal?
    You can try following steps and check if that fixes the issue:

1. Run Virus scan on the Hard Drive.
    2. Perform check disk commands on the Hard Disk to fix the Disk errors.
    Refer to this article.

Note: Remove all the external devices before performing check disk.

Data Loss Disclaimer:

While performing these steps there might be a risk of data loss. You may take a backup of the data before performing the steps.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Rohit Raina

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Rohit_R, Apr 7, 2019
  4. BobLincks Win User

Installing new internal hard drive

I have connected an additional 4th internal hard drive. I an using Windows 10. The drive is not being recognized, probably because it is not initialized, etc. yet. My question is what are the steps in windows 10 to accomplish this?

BobLincks, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

1. my internal hard-drive won't let me write on it - Similar Threads - internal hard drive

2. My hard drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive will not let me access it: So I have a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive and it will not let me access it. I will try to click on it and then it will crash my file explorer and also my taskbar will disappear for a minute at most. I have also tried going into the properties of it but it won't let me do a...
  3. My hard drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hard drive will not let me access it: So I have a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive and it will not let me access it. I will try to click on it and then it will crash my file explorer and also my taskbar will disappear for a minute at most. I have also tried going into the properties of it but it won't let me do a...
  4. System doesn't let me extract my hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System doesn't let me extract my hard drive: I can't use the "Extract device" option in Windows, it always say it's in use by another program. When I checked with Process Explorer and other detailed "task managers", filtering by its Device Letter, I didn't find any process using it. So I decided to check my Event Logs,...
  5. It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive: For some reason when I try and install a game onto my external hard drive it says that the location isn't set up for installing games and when I tried to change it from my C drive to my D drive it came up with a thing that said "Delete Other Apps" and when I press yes there...
  6. Windows 10 won't recognise my internal hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't recognise my internal hard drive.: I have an internal hard drive of 320GB. Recently my computer started failing to boot. Everything wasn't working even system restore command using CMD. Today I tried using my USB to format it but my hard drive isn't showing. The only thing that's recognised is the USB which...
  7. OneDrive consuming my hard drive and won't let me delete things.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive consuming my hard drive and won't let me delete things.: Long story short, OneDrive copies my documents folder where all the primary files for the games I play are stored and then stores a second local copy. The OneDrive copy; whose files I do notneed, is consuming 59 gbs and counting. I tried deleting the unneeded content of this...
  8. Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  9. Computer recognizes camcorder but won't let me download video to hard drive

Computer recognizes camcorder but won't let me download video to hard drive: I have attached a Sony Digital 8 Handycam to my Dell computer running Windows 10. I have the camera connected via 1394 port. I open device manager and it sees the camcorder. I check to see if it has drivers and it does. I update the driver anyway and it tells me I'm...
  10. Is my internal hard drive damaged?

Is my internal hard drive damaged?: I have a 1tb internal hard drive from an old laptop that i have not used. But might have stored very little if any. I put it in an enclosure and connected it via usb to my chromebook. When i did this, i noticed it showed the files etc. But because im not that familiar with...